Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there a good type of hedge row for a chicken yard? My girls like to spend the heat of the day under an old pecan tree that has some tall weeds growing around it.

I thought about clearing out the weeds and planting some kind of hedge style bush that can provide more shade during the summer heat. Something that will also provide cover so the girls have a way to hide from hawks.

The shrub needs to be able to live in partial shade as it will be planted close to a tree.

There is also a sweet gum tree in the yard I thought about planting these same hedges around. This tree however does not have hardly anything growing under it.

My goal would be to have a 2 or 3 areas of hedge where the chickens can spread out, have shade to get out of the sun and be hidden from hawks.

The shrub does not need to be that tall, just maybe 3 or so feet, but open under the canopy. So some type of shrub that can grow a wide top but narrow at the bottom.

I am thinking about planting a circle of hedge around the pecan tree and sweet gum tree at least 2 hedges wide.

·
Bread Baker
3,246 Posts
Kev.. Your observation about the sweet gum tree is something to think about. At my previous home, we had around 1 dozen sweet gum's. Divided between the front, side, and back yard.

Nothing would grow under them. Nada. The occasional weak looking weed would sprout up, and thats it. I think they are similar to a walnut, in that they put off a chemical in the soil that prevents growth to others plant life.

Just food for thought. You might gas up the chain saw. :D:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Privet hedge will grow in the shade, but you may not want it cause it will grow anywhere, and can be invasive. Maybe Carolina Allspice, or Spice Bush or heat tolerant blueberry bushes? Nothing with poison berries, so be careful.

I have grape vines on some of my fences to give shade, and some hollyhock starts I'm going to try for next year.

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,137 Posts
I would plant mulberry. In fact I mean to someday. Many varieties and provides edible fruit. You can pick the fruit yourself or let it drop off and feed the chickens.

Here's an example but Raintree has 15 others:

http://www.raintreenursery.com/Contorted_Mulberry_Gal_Pot.html

Contorted Mulberry / Gallon Pot
Morus Alba Unryu

The contorted Mulberry is an incredibly beautiful landscape focal point. This Japanese tree features a gnarled trunk and branches. It has small tasty purple fruit and attractive yellow fall foliage.

A great edible landscaping plant, it can grow to 30' but is easily maintained at 8' tall. USDA Zone 5-9.
You could also mix in some evergreen shrubs to provide shelter in the winter, preferably shrubs that provide edible food for chickens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts