Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys considering the toughest MT? It would be a designated car/BOB multitool. The most important feature for me would be pliers/wire cutters. I narrowed it down to SOG Powerlock, Leatheman Super Tool 300 and Victorinox Swisstool. Is there any clear winner in that group?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have the sog. I like it pretty well, although I would rather it had scissors than the seat belt cutter. The blades are pretty good quality. Those compound leverage pliers are unreal stout.
It is pretty heavy though.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the sog. I like it pretty well, although I would rather it had scissors than the seat belt cutter. The blades are pretty good quality. Those compound leverage pliers are unreal stout.
It is pretty heavy though.
I like the compound leverage on the SOG but I am wondering if the wire cutters strong enough to match it.

I heard that it's easy to replace any tool. You can buy scissors from SOG and replace it by yourself. Is that true?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Good choices. I have the Victorinox Spirit. I think that's the name. Smaller than the Swisstool. Love my Victorinox.

Side-note: Even though I love my Victorinox, I often grab my Gerber because it is lighter and slimmer on my waist. (hiking, etc) The Victorinox is 3x the tool, however.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The Super Tool 300 is expensive but pretty HD. I have a black one and an old Super Tool as well. The Surge is a bigger version of the popular Wave with similar but bigger tools. I really like the old Core model and I have two of them for my fishing rigs. Big difference between that and the Wave/Surge/Charge is the drive kit.

Look for a used Core. I bought mine at Gun Shows for $30. They were hardly used.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
What are you guys considering the toughest MT? It would be a designated car/BOB multitool. The most important feature for me would be pliers/wire cutters. I narrowed it down to SOG Powerlock, Leatheman Super Tool 300 and Victorinox Swisstool. Is there any clear winner in that group?
LM ST300.

Keep it oiled and those pivot screws tight.

(It's a little heavy for an on-foot BOB)

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
Get the Leatherman Surge. I like a multiplier with knife blades on the outside of the tool. It is easier to get to. I think the Leatherman blades are high quality.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The Leatherman does have great pliers and they hold up quite well. For your vehicle you might also consider the lighter weight Gerber Fit to have in your glove box as well. My favorite feature of this tool is the very bright "on board" led light that is 20+ lumen's strong. The Fit has a few screwdrivers, scissors, lanyard, tweezers, etc. The light however is rare on a MT and I find I use it very often.

·
Appalachian Adventurer
225 Posts
Well. I have a Schroade ST1 Tough Tool that I carry with me often, and always when i drive. Its great quality and you cant beat the price. You can usually get them for around 20 bucks US.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Leatherman Super Tool, I've carried the same one for 23 years now.

It survived my 18 year military career- 6 deployments (4 combat, 2 peacekeeping) and a ton of camping and hunting trips.

If I ever get another one it will be the Super Tool.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
got a vehicle. i goto walmart or HF and pick up a couple sets of
sockets both shorties and longs
a couple ratchets
set of pliers both standard and needle
channel locks small and large and both needle and standard
a set of screwdrivers
a cheap knife
a utility knife
a couple hose clamps in assorted sizes
a ball pin hammer
a BFH
a couple feet of assorted sized hoses and some assorted size steel tubes to fit the hoses
2 bottles of motor oil
2 qrts of 80wt gear oil
2 pairs of panty hose
cheap set of jumper cables
an assorted pack of fuzes
a couple feet of wire in bother 12ga and 16 ga
roll of black electrical tape
some aligator clips

there is your heavy duty multi tool. dont drive a vehicle without it. unless its a motorcycle then you have to downsize. ;-)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have had numerous Leatherman and other tools. The black Wave is without a doubt the best I have used. Heavy duty and very useful. Also get the additional bit asst. to go with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts