Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
In my area... Electricity fails because of all the tree damage...
All you need is a chainsaw and a vehicle capable of hauling the wood...
People will thank you for getting those trees off the road!

Ditto on take entire window casement out, put up tin with hole for stovepipe.

I've heated like that for years.

Of course... as said earlier in thread.... might affect property values... easier to get away with in the sticks...
Well that's not a fire waiting to happen. Not enough clearance to combustibles (wood siding and window frame), interior stove pipe outside, a old piece of wire holding the whole thing up..but hey at least they removed the rolled roofing so it wouldnt catch fire.

Dont put a chimney in like this.

·
gard'ner
962 Posts
Yes... The brushy growth has been removed since pic was posted back in 2018:

Can't imagine why they went in to edit my self disparaging term, (it meant white trash)...

As far as an old wire to secure stove pipe? What else are you going to secure it with on the cheap?

As far as clearance from the wood siding?
That tin roofing in the window frame doesn't heat up. Believe me... I've placed my hand against it often. That old house ain't much, but I'd be back out in the cold if it burned down.

If you go back to the original post, you will notice that OP was considering using plywood in the window frame... Plywood would catch fire.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our furnace has been dead for almost a week. We live in Michigan and it's 11 degrees right now as I type. We're getting by with an electric space heater, a kerosene heater and a CO2 detector.

Why don't I just get my furnace repaired or replaced? Good question. I've already had two HVAC "experts" out to assess our furnace.

HVAC clown #1: His attempted repair work was so sloppy (loose wires, no diagnostic equipment, bad attitude, etc...) we decided not to have him back.

HVAC clown #2: He did and said all the right things during his visit. Seemed like a good dude. I told him to quote me a "repair or replacement price as if this were YOUR house." A week has gone by, and he's not communicating. I basically told him he's got a blank check!

Well guess what? We seem to be getting by pretty well with our current hillbilly heaters. Wife just ordered a nice propane heater. She's seriously considering ordering the furnace parts from Amazon and doing it ourselves if we can't find an HVAC guy to fix it.

·
reluctant sinner
18,908 Posts
I was raised by fix it people, hardly ever did they call someone else to fix stuff. My sis is learning to do stuff around the house and car because even though she has money no one will come and fix stuff.

Good luck sir and your wife sounds like a keeper.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
note; whether you fire your home with wood, diesel, kerosene, lpg gas, Co2 and heat will rob oxygen from the air within the room the fire is in, that being said in winter learn to live under blankets as much as possible because to live with heat you need to live a permanent oxygen supply fail to do so both the Co2 you create as well as the fire and the heat the fire produces can kill you..

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ymmv my experience with Mr buddy and 20 lbs tanks is you get 18 hrs. so plan accordingly

The kerosene heater I have I get 8 hrs per 2 gallon fill. So plan accordingly.

I went through a window with a woodstove pipe, don't use plywood. get some sheet tin and give the pipe a 12 inch margin around it be fore it touches something combustible.
In an emergancy I use small Camping Gas Heaters On a 227g canister of Propane they will run for 2.5 hours on High and about 5.5 hours on Low,

And when I want to heat the whole house I use a Portable Gas Heater that uses 33Lb Gas Bottles and they will last around 105 Hours, Being on wheels makes it easy to move around the House and it has 3 heat setting and can put out up to 4.2Kw of Heat.
Musical instrument Green Electronic instrument Free reed aerophone Gas

Brown Automotive radiator part Home appliance Gas Wood

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was raised by fix it people, hardly ever did they call someone else to fix stuff. My sis is learning to do stuff around the house and car because even though she has money no one will come and fix stuff.

Good luck sir and your wife sounds like a keeper.
Yep. My wife has the mechanical abilities. I lift heavy objects and hand her tools. ☺

It's looking more and more likely that HVAC clown #2 isn't interested in the job. He doesn't say that, of course. Instead; he keeps making excuses, dragging his feet and promising callbacks that never happen. In the meantime, it's single digit temps outside.

Wife has already contacted the manufacturer and knows exactly what parts we need. The parts are sitting in her Amazon cart, ready to order. Looks like we'll give the clown one more chance. If he doesn't respond, we'll just do it ourselves.

Wife is very confident and has been pouring over service manuals and Online installation videos. Me? Not so much. I'd prefer to pay to have professional installation. Sadly; professionals are few and far between.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Mr Buddy 1st choice.
Kerosene heater 2nd choice.
3rd
4th
5th
Wood Stove out the window dead last.
Recommend kerosene. We have a great wood stove insert with an electric fan. It will heat up our living room nice a toasty, but we also have the room to store wood. Not sure if a townhouse has that kind of storage, but you could easily store 20-30 gallons of kerosene to get keep you warm for a couple of weeks. I was just testing out our kerosene heater this past week. We run it in the morning and evenings for a couple hours and get a couple days off the 2 gallon tank. I think it's rated for 9-12 hours for continuous use. Kerosene is a little more efficient than propane, but takes a little longer to warm up a room.

The only thing I like better about out wood stove is that I can stoke it over night (or if we're both heading to work), drop the dampers and in the morning once I open the dampers it takes off and quickly warms up the room. I won't leave the kerosene heater on overnight or when not home.

ROCK6

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Since he's in a townhouse, he's probably in a relatively dense urban area. He needs to check fire department regulations on flammable fuels in his city before deciding on kerosene (or even propane in anything bigger than the smallest cylinder size).

A stash of illegal fuel could get him in big trouble with the landlord/HOA, not just the fire department if it's ever noticed. Almost everything in any quantity is banned here. I expect electric space heaters will be next since someone just burned down a large apartment building with one of those. You really can't fix stupid, but the idiot lawmakers keep trying to anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Yep. My wife has the mechanical abilities. I lift heavy objects and hand her tools. ☺

It's looking more and more likely that HVAC clown #2 isn't interested in the job. He doesn't say that, of course. Instead; he keeps making excuses, dragging his feet and promising callbacks that never happen. In the meantime, it's single digit temps outside.

Wife has already contacted the manufacturer and knows exactly what parts we need. The parts are sitting in her Amazon cart, ready to order. Looks like we'll give the clown one more chance. If he doesn't respond, we'll just do it ourselves.

Wife is very confident and has been pouring over service manuals and Online installation videos. Me? Not so much. I'd prefer to pay to have professional installation. Sadly; professionals are few and far between.
If it's a common fail item, order 2.

Reactions: 67 CJ5

·
Registered
255 Posts
Since he's in a townhouse, he's probably in a relatively dense urban area. He needs to check fire department regulations on flammable fuels in his city before deciding on kerosene (or even propane in anything bigger than the smallest cylinder size).
I don't know about the op but I'm in a townhouse in an unincorporated rural area. Developers don't want to pay much for land and will plop down a complex anywhere nowadays.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I don't know about the op but I'm in a townhouse in an unincorporated rural area. Developers don't want to pay much for land and will plop down a complex anywhere nowadays.
So you're good until a few more developers do the same, the HOA appears, and then they finally incorporate a town. It'll be all downhill as soon as the second complex appears. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Hoa hoa hoa

·
Registered
255 Posts
So you're good until a few more developers do the same, the HOA appears, and then they finally incorporate a town. It'll be all downhill as soon as the second complex appears. :LOL:
Actually I'm surrounded by a two civil war battlefields on three sides so there isn't much land to buy. And there is an Hoa but other then conformity they don't care. Another few years and I can sell this place for $50k more then I bought it for and get what I really want.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts