Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Long Term Survival Expert
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planing on putting up about thirty 5 Gal pails of drygoods (food) up for long term storage. I don't have a heat sealer and I was wonder if the recloseabe (ziplock) style mylar bags were any good. I have used hundreds of freezer ziplock style bags for short term meat storage and they are not air tight because I have pulled a vacuum on them before sealing them in the past and then watch them fill with air in just a few minutes. Are the mylar bags with ziplock style closures the same or better? Thanks

·
Long Term Survival Expert
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did a search before posting my question but did not find any answers. After I posted the question I found a thread that talked about this subject and a few people felt that ziplocks were not the way to go. So I have another question.

I have a large 24" Hand Impuls sealer. Can this be used to seal mylar bags?

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
You can use a hair straightening iron to seal mylar, and you can get them cheap for around £15. (probably $20 or so)

i like the Ziplock mylar bags- but i heat seal them above the ziplock- the ziplock is for re-sealing after the bag has been cut open to keep the rest fresher for longer rather than just a big open bag.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
the zip lock mylars are a bad joke ........ not a trust worthy seal to bet your welfare on ....... clothes iron do a great job ........

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I agree with all of the above...we sell the Zip Seal bags, but still recommend you heat seal above the Zip Lock as GENT suggests. Yes, your Impulse sealer should be able to seal Mylar. If you have a temperature indicator you're likely looking for between 275 and 325 degrees, depending on the bag.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
You can use a clothing iron or hair straightener to seal mylar. I've used both and prefer the hair straightener by a long shot. These are only about $10 or so.

As for the ziplocks, they don't seal against O2 infiltration over the long haul. But I can see the wisdom of heat sealing above the ziplock, so that you can use the ziplock to re-close the bag once you start using out of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd still consider myself a noob when it comes to long term storage, but perhaps this would be a viable solution? : to use heat sealed mylar bags to store the food, and have a few zip lock mylars, (slightly larger size than the original-sized bags), to put the entire now-opened bag into.. once they're opened?
Granted, it may not be too much better than just using something to tie up the original bag, as oxygen has now been introduced. Perhaps for the convenience factor?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts