Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I store both, always in AA or AAA battery format.

Took my son out for a "flashlight walk" last night (he's 2), and I figured I'd use one of my decent headlamps for a change.

Compared to a decent flashlight, I'll admit, I dislike headlamps. (1) Having a bright light right above your eyes draws bugs. (2) It creates this ora in front of your face that makes it difficult to see too far ahead. (3) There are awkward moments where you want to flash light in an area, but don't necessarily want to point your head that way (like a quick flash to your reverse).

That said, from now on, I'll be stocking up on regular flashlights. I have a couple head-lamps for the hands-free factor, but otherwise forget it.

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
I like both for different times. Try going 9 days with no power I promise you will like a headlamp. Try brushing your teeth, cooking, etc. while holding a light. 4
For camping I would not be without my headlamp. To many chores to do while holding a light.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,651 Posts
Headlamps are more for doing close-in chores like washing dishes or reading. Not so much for a walk.

Reactions: wheezie and Jash

·
Wanderer
3,270 Posts
To each their own.
I would not go camping or hiking without a headlamp. I wear them when hunting and any other time I'm in the outdoors after dark. They let me see where I'm going, see game and the sights on my rifle (it's legal to hunt racoon after dark with artificial light here), see to drive tent pegs and tie guylines, fill stoves and lanterns with fuel, and do lots of other stuff with both hands.
I find flashlights give good illumination, but keep one hand occupied and tend to roll or fall over just when I need them to stay pointed in one place.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I like clip ons for the bill of my hat when I'm in the boat or on the dock...hands free...metal detectin ,too,on beach,etc...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Both have their place. When hunting I carry both. Have a surefire headlamp and love the adjustable beam.
Agreed, both are useful in the correct circumstance, use the correct tool for the job :)

For a headlight I like a very floody artifact free beam as i'm generally using it for close in work or reading, for a flashlight i prefer a more throw orientated beam.

Overall though I own far more flashlights than headlights, but thats not to say i think one is less important than the other.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hardcore headlamp user here. I probably own 3 headlamps for every handheld. And yes, I use them for work, not walking. I really enjoy using TWO hands to get things done, and not shoving a flashlight in my mouth.

Zebralight H501w rules. The H502w will be out soon, can't wait!

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Headlamps are great but their 'throw' is usually limited compared to a handheld.

For instance, I cannot bike fast with a headlamp bc I cannot see the trail far enough ahead. I use a mounted handheld for that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, exactly. I don't care two hoots about throw when I'm working. I want a wide field of view, 80-120 degrees of even floody light. Throw in a headlamp is (usually) bad mojo. For throw, use a handheld. (Exceptions made for search-and-rescue, surgeons, kayakers, and other specialty use where the hands are full) Actually lots of bike riders like spot-type headlamps, such as the Fenix headlamps. Zebralight also makes a line of spot(ish) headlamps.

The Spark SD52 is an unusual 2AA headlamp that's very bright, comes in a neutral tint, and has a screw-on bezel that allows it to be either a full-flood or a spot-with-spill. Rather unique in that combination. This is my go-to helmet light.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Hardcore headlamp user here. I probably own 3 headlamps for every handheld. And yes, I use them for work, not walking. I really enjoy using TWO hands to get things done, and not shoving a flashlight in my mouth.

Zebralight H501w rules. The H502w will be out soon, can't wait!
I agree. :)

Would be easier if flashlights had a bit of rubber to bite into.

edit: does anybody else leave their headlamp around their neck when camping/hiking/backpacking/in a tent? I hate fussing around in the dark in a tent, so I just leave it on me... helps for those late night urgent matters...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
does anybody else leave their headlamp around their neck when camping/hiking/backpacking/in a tent? I hate fussing around in the dark in a tent, so I just leave it on me... helps for those late night urgent matters...
My Zebra H501 is small enough that I just leave it in my pocket when I sleep, getting it from my pocket to my head in the dark is no problem.

I think it might annoy me around my neck though, so to answer your question in a word, no :)

Sometimes I leave my shirt on when I sleep while camping, which has pen pockets (its a 5.11 shirt), and in that case I leave my preon in the pen pocket and i dont notice that while sleeping.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
My Zebra H501 is small enough that I just leave it in my pocket when I sleep, getting it from my pocket to my head in the dark is no problem.

I think it might annoy me around my neck though, so to answer your question in a word, no :)

Sometimes I leave my shirt on when I sleep while camping, which has pen pockets (its a 5.11 shirt), and in that case I leave my preon in the pen pocket and i dont notice that while sleeping.
How does it not irritate your leg when in pocket while sleeping? Anything in my pockets end up digging in to my skin.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
How does it not irritate your leg when in pocket while sleeping? Anything in my pockets end up digging in to my skin.
I put it in my back pocket, and i'm a side/stomach sleeper. If I lay down with all my stuff in my pockets the first things to annoy me are my keys in my side pockets, so I cant have anything in those :)

·
Idiot Savant x Infinity
892 Posts
Rescue and Repair: Headlamps are very useful when working on vehicles, climbing, mining and soldering by freeing up your hands. In all reality even with having them on 2 climbing helmets and 2 ACH helmets they hardly get used much. My 1,000 Lumen Flashlights are used 95% of the time.

Self Defense or armed offense:

As for a tactical use with a Firearm. I'm not too keen on having them on my Head when it's easier to keep them on the firearm or with your duty belt. You also want instant on off control and Headlamps are ill suited for that.

When you dump 1000 lumens at someone at night with a collimated beam it totally blinds them. Even removing the light will leave their center of vision gone for minutes with a big white spot. The light can be held 3 feet to the left or right of your position. It gives the bad guy a completely wrong target to shoot at. If it's on your head and you're using a 50-200 lumen headlamp with a wide beam. The guy can still see you. They will tend to aim at or slightly below the light. Meaning head shot or body mass shot and that's not a good for your outcome.

Keep headlamps for rescue and repair but not self defense use unless you have no other options.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Headlamps are great for medics, allows for a light source while maintaining hands free to work.

I stock both.

Reactions: escape

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
Soft core head lamp user here.
It is a good tool, even put one on my dog as a collar, ya just never know .
I use many different lights all the time ,almost never with out one on me .
The most practical method is having all of them running on AA batteries ,most every thing in the rescue pack including the Ham radio and camera is all AA.
I'd like to find some lithium CR123A and see how well they work out. That and solar and hand crank charging and the system is complete.
For tracking the incandesant are best with the light close to the ground creating shadow ,LED's are just not the same .
I have 3 AAA cell for long range viewing , but my special head lamp is a modified seperatly wired for power control and options of color and illuminessance.(ULtraviolet)
(home made )
I was intregued with the lights on the shoes of little children, but not available in adult sizes, bummer.
I'd like to make an ankle light that clips on and won't rotate like most head lamps will there, yet water proof, and with color options like red for night vision. the clip on's will work on laces but are not water proof, and are usually button batteries. (JUNK)
In time I'll have something whipped up .

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
i bought a headlamp . i have lanterns (4AA) and small to big hand held ( from 2AAA or 1AA up to 3D ) usualy i tend to buy AA maglights ( i can only swear by them its either the lightbulb that burns after a few years or i "loose" (probably stolen)

i need to buy the led adaptors for thos maglights ( i have a few 2AAs )
the best light i have was made by a guy where i used to work they sold them for like 20$ but its a 1AA 5 leds verry efficient and lasts forever its made in aviation aluminium verry tought too bad they dont sell them anymore id buy another bunch !

im still looking for a 1 or 2 AA headlamps the ones i came across where all AAA and sucked a litle .

so for now the headlamp can be handy but so is the normal handheld . i say go with both is best

·
Patiently Waiting
6,003 Posts
If it's one or the other, I'll take a hand held over a headlamp. You can easily make up a strap to hold a flashlight to the side of your head for hands free. It's pretty hard to find a bright, long throwing and long running head lamp that doesn't weigh much. Plus the bugs don't swarm around your face.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts