Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Brinkmann 3 Watt Led headlamp and I am impressed with how bright this thing is. I got it at Target and it ran around $30.00 with batteries. It uses 3 AAA which may be the short coming but I will test it to see how long they last. This thing is so bright it is painful to look straight into. It comes with an elastic strap to hold it on your head that is adjustable. I couldn't find a listing for the 3 watt here is a photo of the 1 watt which looks almost the same.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a Black Diamond and a Petzel and find myself using these around the house just as much,if not more then conventional flashlights. That Brinkman looks like a nice light

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Coast makes the best head lamp Iv'e seen yet. Amazingly bright and has a red bulb also for preserving night vision. I go ver to portland and buy direct from the so they cost me $25. not sure what you'd pay online, but it's worth it.

On the coast light subject they are making by far the brightest and best lights flashlights/ headlamps out there. I've put my coast lenser up against surefires and mines just as bright using regular batts too! At 1/3 the price. They have enhanced led powers using micro cip technolygy. And there gaurnteed.

And no I don't sell 'em, but have really thought about it. Beings that I get em wholsale.

HeY anyone want to buy a light? :D

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
A headlamp is a must have item. Just don't go and spend $100 for one. There's plenty of cheap ones that have 3 to 6 leds in them, plus a couple of red ones. I went with a energizer. The strap breaking next to lamp is my only worry.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
4 days was the longest I went without power. I had a ton of flashlights and candles. I would have traded them all for a decent headlamp. I like the Petzl brand but anything LED model is usually good enough. I keep on in the BOBs and glove compartments of the car.

·
Registered
816 Posts
A headlamp is a must have item. Just don't go and spend $100 for one. There's plenty of cheap ones that have 3 to 6 leds in them, plus a couple of red ones. I went with a energizer. The strap breaking next to lamp is my only worry.
I have used the energizer headlamps and have been extremely pleased with them. I now own several. They are definitely the best for the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used mainly Petzl headlamps. Th most I have spent is $50. It is awsome and I wish I could get it to see what model it is. It uses a diffuser that makes the LED light glow like others I've seen. When not diffused it makes a great LED spotlight. Awsome!

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
I have two, a Varta and a no name lamp. I´ll never use a flashlight again...

Reactions: joes

·
531 Posts
Got 3 of these off eBay for about $5.00 each. They're bright as hell (19 LED's in all), have 3 levels of light and surprisingly not complete crap for the price I paid for them.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I've used them while crawling under the house and in the cielings of buildings while running cables and the fun stuff like night fishing, hiking etc. They are essential when you need both hands free. Very good item to have around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 2 TakTikka Plus' that lasted through a deployment to Iraq. They got some use over there. They were about $30 or so each as well. A product that I am happy with.

·
Registered
437 Posts
We've been using this particular model at work for the most part of this year:

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/118

Daily use and the on/off switch gets used a lot.

One or two people have somehow managed to snap off the hinge part. Other then that, the bulbs have lasted, has held up to many battery changes and light adjustment angles(hinge), and what I think about most, the on/off switch has held up.

If mine ever fails; I'll update this thread.

·
Pilot
171 Posts
I have been using a Brinkmann 3 Watt headlamp for the last two years, mostly for camping. Great deal, great light, I especially like the 3 point feature which keeps it from sliding down your head without forcing the user to wear it too tightly. Battery life seems good, and it is far brighter than some of the hand held LED 'spotlights' that my friends swear by. My next headlamp will probably include a selectable brightness feature and maybe a color change and or strobe feature.

·
Registered
630 Posts
my headlamps are by cyclops and cats eye and fit in my pockets

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
PETZL E-LITE. 30$. waterproof to 1ft under water. light. small. bright. strobe. white and red light. long battery life.

For actual flashlights: my money goes to PELICAN. long lasting battery power, bright light, waterproof and rugged beyond rugged... Now, if we could only mount them...

·
"Somebody Get a Rope"
1,187 Posts
We have several Energizer headlamps. It has 6 LEDs, 2 of which are red. Very handy, However. the on-off switch is too small to work with the end of a finger, you have to poke it with your fingernail.

Elgin

·
Registered
184 Posts
DAMN ! you beat me to it!
This light would be a good addition to a BOB as I think it will last 10 years on the shelf. Does not use standard batteries from what I can tell - so you might need to stock up on spares before you head out.

I am a big fan of the Petzel Lights- seem to be great quality

PETZL E-LITE. 30$. waterproof to 1ft under water. light. small. bright. strobe. white and red light. long battery life.

For actual flashlights: my money goes to PELICAN. long lasting battery power, bright light, waterproof and rugged beyond rugged... Now, if we could only mount them...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts