Survivalist Forum banner

What headgear will you wear WTSHTF?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Por la gloria!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What headgear will you be sporting when TEOTWAWKI occurs?

1) Boonie Hat

2) Beret

3) Tricorne

4) Peaked Cap

5) M1 Helmet (or similar style helmet)

6) PASGT Helmet (or similar style helmet)

7) Cowboy Hat

8) Fez

9) Ushanka

10) Other

·
SB's Token Commie
1,327 Posts
Summer, a Boonie hat variant and winter, a Chofka (aka a Fur Doof Hat or Mad Bomber or an Ushanka). I have a Russian Military Chofka I got, trading a few cartons of Marlboro's to an acquaintance on the other side of the wall in Berlin for the hat and an AK-74 when I was stationed in Germany.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I like the idea of the PASGT, but I'll probably be wearing a boonie hat, just because the helmet seems like it could get hot in the summer heat.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
I can't pull off a boonie- makes me look silly... i would go for a peaked baseball cap style hat, but since the example of a peaked hat was an officers style, i went for cowboy hat.

·
Registered
408 Posts
We're supposed to have a special hat TSHTF? :xeye: I guess I'll be wearin' the same ol' Stetson I wear most every other day.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I got a north face boonie style hat thats made for heat with the little mesh vent things on top and its adjustable with shock cord and keeper thingy system. I hate standard boonie hats since they arent adjustable.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Here's my take on the whole headgear thing. If I'm gonna wear anything on my head (which I am and I do) then I want it to do a few things for me. 1- provide concealment. 2- provide at least bump and light impact protection. 3- provide me with the room to wear ear and eye protection. Now I'm not active duty anymore but when I was the PASGT Kevlar Helmet was the order of the day, what a heavy and cumbersome beast it was. Yes it offered ballistic protection but at a cost (PAIN at the end of the day), not to mention when you turn your head to fast it always seemed like helmet was two days late in making the turn with your head, always feelin like a bobble head. Never could understand the concept of helmet with a suspension system. I've worn the Boonie, Cap, Head Wrap etc.. but have come to my own consensus that Smaller, Tighter, Lighter is better for me.

Currently I wear this Bump Helmet. When on it feels like I'm wearing nothing on my head, very light (Weight: 437 Grams = 1 Pound), Takes Impacts such as large-small branches, windows, doors. I haven't been hit in the head with it yet but I'm sure it'll do just fine with that as well.

I am however considering a new helmet though and although the one I actually what is only available to active duty military and police (FAST BALLISTIC HELMET) there is a non-Ballistic version of the same helmet. Kinda pricey for a non-Ballistic Helmet but screw it, IT'S MY HEAD, RIGHT???

And I figure this, If our top Elite are Rockin them,Why not me, Right???

All that said, it boils down to one thing, how much money do you have to spend on protecting your dome, RIGHT???

http://www.ops-core.com/productFH.cfm?Product_ID=8&

·
Confused,but not Lost
1,088 Posts
Stubbie Boonie, it's more like the ones back from 'Nam days, it has a shorter brim only 1 3/4"wide and an inside pocket for maps.

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
Probably my boonie hat... but I may just stick with the boar-skin australian barmah hat that I wear daily now. It's tough enough to take abuse of briars and sharp sticks, and broad enough brim to give good sun protection.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Mickey mouse ears, or Tin depending on if we are invaded by space men or zombies.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
I will be sporting the always fashionable Mountain Equipment Co-op Ranger Hat.

MEC - Ranger Hat.jpg

Reactions: cowboy56
1 - 20 of 69 Posts