Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Fast Mover"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 300 lbs of steamed rolled oats stored in 55gal drums and I'm looking to add heavily to that. What would be other "feed store grains" that would be good for storage/easy use?

I'm really interested in large bag options, I just don't want to ask the feed store and raise any eye brows.

I'm interested in it all, corn, oats, wheat, grains. If you can eat it and store it I'd love any info you might have on it.

Thanks

Pointblank

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
See if they have any double or preferably TRIPLE cleaned wheat. It may be marketed as "seed" wheat also.

It's a PERSONAL decision if someone wants to store grains from a feed store. Most of the grains are just DOUBLE cleaned instead of TRIPLE cleaned as "people" grade wheat is.

A farmer does NOT plant one field and say "this here is PEOPLE wheat" and another field and say "this here is FEED wheat" is just doesn't work that way. The difference is what happens to it at the elevator.

Contrary to popular belief, the food we eat does not begin and end in a sterile room where guys in clean suits work.... But I really think a lot of people believe it does work that way. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you have a grain exchange nearby, that may be an option as well. I pay $15 a hundred wt. (they average about 5 lbs heavy) at our local grain mill.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
"Seed" was mentioned in regard to WHEAT. Sorry I should have made it crystal clear regarding "seed"- some of the corn seed is treated. You'll SEE this as a pinkish coloring on the corn seed. That stuff is SOLELY for seed- do not eat it.

Use common sense and your normal senses when looking at stuff like this. Pesticides WILL sell, trust me on that, I've purchased at the "wrong" places before and got a bag of crap full of pesticide. It will SMELL different and will likely look a little different.

I took for granted people were used to doing this sort of thing in my first post on this thread, my apologies, I should have made a longer thread there regarding this.

In GENERAL anything marketed as "feed" will NOT contain pesticides by law- your going to want to do the smell and taste tests also. Please nobody be a crybaby cause I said "taste"- a tiny bit of this stuff in your mouth is NOT going to kill you :rolleyes: and obviously if it SMELLS funny don't TASTE it. If you can't follow simple instructions, I doubt your long term potential as a survivor anyways, so go ahead and eat handfuls of it if it smells of pesticides... LOL

Anyways, best thing to do is go to the feedstore, tell them your raising some chickens ORGANICALLY, start complaining about how strict the requirements are for organic certification, how it's taken soooo long to get it, etc. Alright that set the stage for you to ask the questions re: pesticides and you'll probably get REAL answers instead of "tell him whatever to get him out the door" type of stuff.

Buy ONE bag, take it home and check it out. If it's to YOUR liking, buy more.

What is good to look for:

Whole wheat- you don't want cracked wheat, wheat middlings, you want whole wheat, will likely be labeled for sale as "feed wheat". Expect more chaff in it than stuff you'd buy from a commercial food storage source, but you can clean it more yourself- I'll post info how in just a minute.

Corn- whole corn, not cracked corn. You can do a lot with corn.

Oats- unless you have the setup to hull them, probably best to leave these alone unless you really ARE feeding them to your animals. These will NOT look like the stuff that comes in the box with the Quaker dude on it... On the flip side, oats are a great cover crop and animal feed. I have a couple garden sections growing oats right now- looks just like pretty lawn grass and the rabbits and chickens will love it later on.

What to avoid-

Any "mixes"- i.e, "horse feed", "chicken feed". These are normally BLENDS which contains all sorts of animal, mineral and vegetable...... You don't want those...

While your at the feedstore, IF your lacking any antibiotics, check out the little refrigerator they'll usually have there with vet antibiotics. The most common use stuff you'll probably find will be things like "Combiotic" which is a Procaine Penicillin deriative. Occasionally you can find epinephrine and of course syringes with needles, etc. Be sure you buy SMALL on this stuff and have a good cover story. You DO NOT want to ask stupid questions regarding the meds to the store owner. I'm NOT advising you USE vet meds, I'm not a doc and I don't play one on TV, but for a couple bucks you can throw the Combiotic in your fridge and later if your dieing of anthrax and have NO OTHER alternative, you can draw some up in a big needle (it's thick) and inject IM in the butt and maybe just maybe save your life. Hey, it's better than NO meds at all, especially in the PAW.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Check into getting some deer corn, these are usually sold in 40 or 50 pound bags. It has not been cleaned, so it might have pieces of small sticks and stuff.

Some of the deer corn that was being sold a couple of months ago had weevils in it, so it might have been left over from last year. But I have stored 2 - 40 pound bags of deer corn for over a year. When it was finally put into the feeders it looked fine to me.

You could probably take the deer corn, grind it up and make corn meal out of it or feed for your chickens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts