Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started prep. and have about 4-6 months worth of can goods. Veggies, soups, etc. I also have a lot of seeds to plant my garden.
What I don't have is the basics. Salt, flour, sugar, etc.
Going to Sam's for the free weekend. What do you suggest I buy? Want to spend around $150.

Will I then need mylar, 02 bags, vacuumer sealers, etc??

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Fifty lb bag of rice, 25 lb bag of pinto beans. Two of the biggest bargains at Sam's. Also look for those big containers of Tone's seasonings, syrup, dried fruit, Maker's Mark coffee, big cartons of instant mashed potatoes and big cartons of oatmeal.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I've started prep. and have about 4-6 months worth of can goods. Veggies, soups, etc. I also have a lot of seeds to plant my garden.
What I don't have is the basics. Salt, flour, sugar, etc.
Going to Sam's for the free weekend. What do you suggest I buy? Want to spend around $150.
Do you have an ALDI nearby? If so, go to the Sam's Club website and do some window shopping of what is available at your nearest club. Make a list. Figure out the unit prices. Then the day of the shopping trip, go to ALDI first and buy whatever is cheaper there. White sugar, brown sugar and peanut butter are cheaper at ALDI and there are others.

Then go on to Sam's and fill in the rest of the list. Sam's Club accepts Discover cards and checks. ALDI only takes cash or ATM card payments.

One specific to look at at Sam's Club is this:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=156096

Will I then need mylar, 02 bags, vacuumer sealers, etc??
Start with mylar bags and O2 absorbers. You can get started with less cash that way. Vacuum sealers are nice to have and I want one someday, but they are more of an investment.

Reactions: Bosox

·
Locked and Stocked
426 Posts
At our local Sams we buy:

50lb Rice - 18 buxs
50lb Beans - 23 buxs
25lbs Flour - 7.50 each
25lbs Sugar - 28.00 each
Morton Salt big box - 98cents
Maxwell coffee cans - 8 buxs (4 buxs cheaper than other grocery stores in S. Florida)
Bottled Water Nestle 36 pack - 3.50 each

Maybe start with some of that

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
With the polution the population in aisa is being forced into buying more from others, I would be looking at the things they will be buying before they drive the prices way up.

Rice, tuna also cane sugar if you have anything left, buy big cans of vegies and tomatoes.
The big cans can be split into canning jars and frozen as you open them.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts

50lb Rice - 18 buxs
50lb Beans - 23 buxs
25lbs Flour - 7.50 each
25lbs Sugar - 28.00 each
Maxwell coffee cans - 8 buxs (4 buxs cheaper than other grocery stores in S. Florida)

Much nicer prices than the Alaska Sam's.

In addition, canned chicken is also a good addition (or other canned meat/protein). 4lbs for under $10. Bulk pasta is about $1 a lb and is easily cooked up with hot water (may want to store the sauce of your preference).

·
Registered
758 Posts
Toilet paper

Rice, pasta, instant potatoes, oatmeal, sugar, salt, flour, honey...then big cans/boxes of whatever you eat now.

Oh and the cans of chicken are a pretty good deal there also

Oh and the large bottles of vitamins, and pain medications

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
Good luck on only spending $150 at Sams as I have a hard time staying under $200.

Bags of rice are good buy and they have multiple types.Rice has gone up almost $5.00 for 50# in the last year.

I buy bulk ketchup there, pork loins are around $2.00 a pound , peanut butter and jelly, mayo, flour, sugar and the canned chix breast.I also buy flats of spaghetti sauce and they can have good prices on fresh fruit and veggies.

I eat what I store and store what I eat and Sam's help's that process. You do have to know prices as not all items at Sam's are cost effective as Aldi's or your local food store.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Once you have your can goods covered, I suggest you move onto storing food in mylar bags along with oxygen absorbers.

I like to start with breakfast, since it sets the pace for the rest of the day.

Powered eggs
instant pancake mix - just add water
grits
oatmeal
powered milk

Then move to your lunch and dinner items.

Pinto beans
rice
mashed potatoes - make sure they do not contain any animal products, no cheese, milk or real butter
mac & cheese - leave out the cheese packet
Red feather canned cheese from either emergency essentials or prepared.pro

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
2,988 Posts
Made my first trip to Sam's to take advantage of the non members weekend as well. It's not quite as extensive as what I had imagined. Had assumed I could pick up bulk black beans, and kidney beans, but all they had was bulk pintos. Is this the norm? Still a good bulk resource though, no doubt.

Can anyone comment on the difference in bulk rices. Any reason other than variety to add some jasmine and basmati

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
2,988 Posts
Also, bulk oil? I read that cook oil goes rancid pretty fast, so it's not good to buy in bulk. Can it also be used in place of candle oil

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Rice and salt. Some sam's have wheat and beans. Last time I was there they had REALLY nice 12' x 16' tarps. 2 pack for $20. I use a lot of tarps so trust me, that's a great deal for the quality. Tarps are better than tents if you have to bug out. Also for a quick roof repair at home.

It doesnt hurt to stop by your feed store and pick up some wheat and barley. It is $7.50per 50 lbs here. I wont normally eat animal grade food, but having $15 tied up into a prep that you feed to the birds in a 20 years (if you use mylar and O2 obsorbers) if nothing happens isnt a bad deal. I rotate mine (rabbit and chicken feed) out every 6 months or so, so I dont need mylar or O2 obsorbers.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Anything sold as animal feed is safe for human consumption correct?
EHHH... I would be 99% sure of it, but I know a farmer who raises grain for the feed store and says it isnt kept in the cleanest conditions. If my choice was to not eat or take my chances, I would eat it. I will talk to him about getting some at harvest this year, before it is stored.

It is a cheap prep, that would be good to have untill you have a year's worth of food on hand.

·
Registered
194 Posts

50lb Rice - 18 buxs
50lb Beans - 23 buxs
25lbs Flour - 7.50 each
25lbs Sugar - 28.00 each

That sugar for $28 was FIFTY pounds I hope.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts