Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What head gear have you got in your preps and BOBs?

Iv just got a Buff to trail out, it looks pretty good (its a tube that can be twisted into 15 different types of head and face gear).

For those who dont know I have total body hair loss due to Alopecia so feel every draft there is.

Im wondering if a snood could be used in the same way, although it wont take the swet away

I have plenty of peek caps for summer along with scarves and beanies.

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
It looks like a Buff is a lot like the old SAS headover, just lighter.

I have used headovers for years (they are like really long neck gaiters) but only for cool/cold weather.

Personally, I have an old booney hat rolled up in my BOB. In the winter, I add a fleece watchcap. And I never leave home without a shemagh.

·
Banned
790 Posts
What head gear have you got in your preps and BOBs?

Iv just got a Buff to trail out, it looks pretty good (its a tube that can be twisted into 15 different types of head and face gear).

For those who dont know I have total body hair loss due to Alopecia so feel every draft there is.

Im wondering if a snood could be used in the same way, although it wont take the swet away

I have plenty of peek caps for summer along with scarves and beanies.
I am a H-U-G-E fan of bandannas. And I mean flat, square ones not the cheezy pre-shaped ones that slip on like a hat. I love them and own perhaps 50 in all kinds of patterns and colors. Some I made myself.

Besides headgear they can be used as band-aids, slings, tie downs, napkins, towels, pot holders...etc. Very multipurpose. The take up very little storage space.

Bandannas are surprisingly warm in cold weather, especially when fitted tightly. They are very inexpensive so you won't care if you lose or trash it. The main downside: It takes a little effort to put a bandanna on and not everyone looks good in them. Of course, no one will be too concerned about fashion post-SHTF, but until then it may matter to some.

Even if you don't want to wear a bandanna, it should be included in your preps. They are awesome!

~Tevin~

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
They use buffs on CBS "Survivor" show.
They use in several ways.
The skinny girls wear them as bra or skirt.

Boonie hat and balaclava for me. Got all kinds of caps.
Steel pot for serious use.

·
Observer
707 Posts
I have a buff, balaclava, US army style cap (Black) and an Steel M1 helmet and plastic liner w/ suspension (removable). M1 helmet isn't actually attached to my BOB, but I plan to strap it on to the webbing if the situatuion calls for it.

·
Observer
707 Posts
Is it set up like WW2 with netting or plain?
Maybe vietnam style camo or desert camo?
Maybe DPM camo?
Please tell us.
I've run it by a professional helmet vendor online, he told me it was most likely a Danish copy, but still military grade steel none the less, it's just plain OD green, no camo net, no nothing.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
A light colored Boonie hat, except in winter. Then its whatever stocking cap Jay or the kids haven't snatched up. (I'm partial to Buzz Lightyear, but My Pretty Pony works in a pinch) Boring, right? Both work for me, are inexpensive and plentiful, and I don't have to think about them being on right or violating some fashion police ordinance. Probably helps that I don't find myself out on the slopes very much...

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hot weather , intense sun: Ball cap

Cold weather, sun or no sun: Watch cap, fleece

Tactical environment: Mitch Helmet

Rain: Hood of poncho

·
Semper Fidelis.
327 Posts
A nice boonie hat. it can keep the sun of your face and neck, which are prone to sunburn.
Or the hat from crocodile dundee.
For the winter, any sort of beanie will do. I'd prefer the one that covers your ears, then maybe a balaclava type thing for your nose.

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
you may not be aware but a lot us military personnel use shemaghs in the desert conflict environment. arizona is a desert environment.

beside, shooting someone solely based on appearance? i thought we evolved passed that.

Anyone wrapped up in one shows up at my place will be shot.

Same goes for the full body sack.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I like camo boonies, and have a few in od, black, khaki. If in the heat/sun prefer kahki as seems cooler. Also carry mixed styles of bandannas. Have solids, flats, and 1 in tigerstripe. The tigerstripe seems to get the most use and is softer than the rest probably due to sweat/washing. Watch cap in black is winter" go to" for low temps, and have a thin black scarf and pullover ****ie for keeping my neck warm. Gloves in lined leather(thinsulate), and fingerless for other seasons. I do have a solid black USMC cover, no emblem. Last but not least, I own a kahki Pith helmet that my kids call me "Mr Magoo" when I cut the lawn in the sun/heat. I collect all types of headgear.

·
Survivalist Electrician
614 Posts
For my BOB and my GHB, I keep a bandana and a toboggan (I think you call them beanies or something up north, no idea what they're called in England). Even in the summer. You never know when a cold, windy night's going to come along and even just rain can give you hypothermia so I say keep the toboggan in there year round.

People wearing shemaghs are just asking to be shot in my opinion. If there's a natural disaster, economic collapse, or ESPECIALLY terrorist attack, anyone trying to look like an arab shouldn't be surprised when they find themselves looking down the barrel of a gun.

·
Survivalist Electrician
614 Posts
you may not be aware but a lot us military personnel use shemaghs in the desert conflict environment. arizona is a desert environment.

beside, shooting someone solely based on appearance? i thought we evolved passed that.
I try not to profile and I believe that it's wrong to judge someone based solely on their appearance, but many Americans don't understand what a shemagh is and believe they're only something terrorists wear.

Now if there has been any kind of disaster, whatever it may be, you better believe Junebug and the boys are gonna be madder 'n a rattler in a microwave and the first person they see that looks remotely like a so called "*******" is gonna get a little "interrogation." The last thing I want is an interrogation from Junebug and the boys...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts