Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you moved on from the .308 Win/7.62X51 in favor of something else you feel is better? If so what were the reasons you opted for something else instead?

I know the 6.5 CM is the latest rage and all the cool kids on the block have one these days...except me. I use the 6.5 CM as an example as most of my Homies have switched to it from the .308/7.62, but there are other rounds out there competing for the title of the best cartridge these days. Its a fantastic round, dont get me wrong. Those high BC bullets can really step out there. Ill admit for a while I was thinking about it. But then I started thinking about why not the .260 Rem if I am going to change calibers, after all if its about serious performance, the .260 offers me everything the 6.5 CM does but does it with 100 fps more velocity on top of that. Granted .260 Rem aint nearly as commonly available as the 6.5 CM, but forming cases from cheap 308/7.62 is a lot less involved and much cheaper than buying brass for either of the 6.5 formats.

Me? Im kinda old school and being a bit older than most here, kinda stubborn and stuck in the Dinosaur Age. While the 5.56 is still my primary round of choice for SHTF (here the most dangerous thing other than a bad guy I am likely to encounter is a over grown feral hog). But I am still heavily invested in the .308/7.62. I have about 5-6 (2 are bolt actions) guns for it and it often pulls yeoman duty for most of my hunting. I have been using it since about 1990, reload for it, have its trajectory down to a fine science and have the ammo and components stacked very deep. While I have been tempted to make a change, I just cant see enough advantages to changing to something else, when it does a reasonably good job of putting Warheads on Foreheads further than I should probably be shooting at something that needs a bullet in it.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I'm still trying to move ONTO 308. Mainly in AR-10 platforms, I'm wanting a lightweight hunting rifle and at least a pair of more general purpose "carbines". I'm more interested in penetration than range, not that I'm discounting it's advantage over 5.56 in range either. For a truly long range setup (that I likely would never get much use from) I think I would go with 6.5CM, in a semiauto/AR-10. If it's a bolt action, I'd stick with 30-06 instead of introducing a new caliber to the logistics plan. Except maybe a Ruger Scout or the Mossberg version that takes AR-10 mags, I don't see much need for me to bother with a 308 bolt gun due to other options I already have.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Haven't moved from a .308 Win which was my ideal because of power and range. However, practicality pushed me first into a Ruger 9MM carbine (something my wife could also handle); and now, into an AK-47 custom built. Why the AK? 1-I live in the suburbs, thus its range is more suitable, 2-it works with little, if any maintenance unlike some newer armaments, 3-there are considerable numbers scattered among the population, 4-a well proven battle weapon, 5-legal for hunting in my state whereas the 5.56 isn't (minimum is 6MM or .24 cal.).

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
6.5 cm is a good alternative to 308. 260 is also , but it can’t do anything the 6.5 can’t also do. Also the 260 is not available in factory ammo plus won’t work in an ar10. If you have a 308 ar10 platform rifle , 6.5 cm is just an upper change away. That’s easier than tying your shoes.

Why 6.5 instead of 308? Honestly the reason is all about lower recoil and higher range. But for most people it will only be lower recoil.

Why 308 instead of 6.5 ? Honestly there is only one reason. Ammo. It’s cheaper and easier to find. Everybody should have a semi auto rifle that can shoot 308. And considering the versatility of the ar10 platform and low cost , Everyone should have an ar10 platform rifle in 308. And having a 6.5 cm option doesn’t cost a lot if you already have that platform. A new upper is a few hundred bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Never was a fan of 308, bought my first one last spring, because of the house plants threaten to ban the evil rifle.
6.5 creed meh, no thanks.
Love the 260 rem.
I’m a big fan of 6.5’s, if you are talking about the perfect cartridge, it’s the 6.5x55 Swede. It punches like the 300WM, even 1000 yards, and reloads like 260 rem (easy), and recoils lighter than the 308.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Also the 260 is not available in factory ammo plus won’t work in an ar10.

I was thinking about changing my 308 to 260 rem. But I probably should own at one 308. I will build a 260 rem AR10 someday.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,243 Posts
The .308 is probably the very best "do all" cartridge in history. It's not necessary the best at any task. There are indeed lighter calibers that will do as well up close (556, 762x39), and surely better flatter shooting calibers with less recoil (270, 7mm, 6.5, etc.). But the last 70 years of logistics have created it as the most useful IMO. It's one of the few adopted by NATO so maybe among the most manufactured round in the world and the US. The following guns are made in 308:

Hunting: All major gun makers have 308 chamberings, including Savage, Tikka, Winchester, Ruger, Remington, Mossberg, Sako, and probably 10 others. The .308 might be the most prolific design for hunting rifles, so spare barrels or parts would by easiest to source by default.

Battle rifles: M1A, M14, FAL, HK variants, Cetme, AR10 variants, VEPRs, SCARs, and even some M1 Garands, and even into the 204B and mini-gun territory and probably a few others make this the de-facto champion caliber of the widest range of battle rifles and DMRs in existence. And there are pistol variants of some of these designs.

It's undeniably the best do-all rifle caliber in modern history for a person who wants significant overlap and inventory less calibers. It would be the last rifle caliber I'd let go of.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Never was a fan of 308, bought my first one last spring, because of the house plants threaten to ban the evil rifle.
6.5 creed meh, no thanks.
Love the 260 rem.
I’m a big fan of 6.5’s, if you are talking about the perfect cartridge, it’s the 6.5x55 Swede. It punches like the 300WM, even 1000 yards, and reloads like 260 rem (easy), and recoils lighter than the 308.
I like 35 caliber cartridges: 9MM, 38/357, 35 Rem, 350 Legend. I'd be tempted to buy something in the next run up (358 win or 35 Whelen), but I don't imagine they would do anything I can't get the others to do,

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Have you moved on from the .308 Win/7.62X51 in favor of something else you feel is better? If so what were the reasons you opted for something else instead?

I know the 6.5 CM is the latest rage and all the cool kids on the block have one these days...except me. I use the 6.5 CM as an example as most of my Homies have switched to it from the .308/7.62, but there are other rounds out there competing for the title of the best cartridge these days. Its a fantastic round, dont get me wrong. Those high BC bullets can really step out there. Ill admit for a while I was thinking about it. But then I started thinking about why not the .260 Rem if I am going to change calibers, after all if its about serious performance, the .260 offers me everything the 6.5 CM does but does it with 100 fps more velocity on top of that. Granted .260 Rem aint nearly as commonly available as the 6.5 CM, but forming cases from cheap 308/7.62 is a lot less involved and much cheaper than buying brass for either of the 6.5 formats.

Me? Im kinda old school and being a bit older than most here, kinda stubborn and stuck in the Dinosaur Age. While the 5.56 is still my primary round of choice for SHTF (here the most dangerous thing other than a bad guy I am likely to encounter is a over grown feral hog). But I am still heavily invested in the .308/7.62. I have about 5-6 (2 are bolt actions) guns for it and it often pulls yeoman duty for most of my hunting. I have been using it since about 1990, reload for it, have its trajectory down to a fine science and have the ammo and components stacked very deep. While I have been tempted to make a change, I just cant see enough advantages to changing to something else, when it does a reasonably good job of putting Warheads on Foreheads further than I should probably be shooting at something that needs a bullet in it.

Am I missing something?
IMO, you are correct in your thoughts, and not missing anything. Like you, I'm old school and what I have works for me. Not knocking any new rounds, or others opinions of them.

The 308 is one of the best, most versatile and available rounds to have. Yes, there are several new choices, that have subtle differences, but the average person won't know, or be able to, distinguish the difference.

Example: I have been shooting for over 50 years, including a good bit of competitive, USPSA, IDPA, PRS, etc. I have everything from 17HMR to 458WM, and shoot them as often as possible. I go to an outdoor range near me and practice shooting clay targets at 100yd with my Ruger Mk2, freehand. I take friends along and show them how to do it, as well. It's not hard, once you get the basics of sighting, trajectory, etc.

What's funny is, there's people there who can't hit a 4' box at 50 yards with a scoped rifle.

There's no new cartridge, or guns one needs, unless you want to, of course. By all means!

And, unless you want to measure thousands of an inch groups at 500 yards, why bother?

As far as ability to kill, take a look at Walter Bell, aka Karamojo. One of the most prolific African hunters of the last century. Killed over 1k elephants, the majority of them with the measly 7x57 Mauser!
He shot them at an oblique angle, meaning behind them, through the brain, called the Bell Shot.

Also, Teddy Roosevelt shot many African animals with his Winchester 1895, chambered in 405. There were many others, over the years.

Bottom line is that you're not under gunned for anything on the planet with a 308.

Here's one of my 375H&H's, that I had hoped to take to Africa for Cape Buffalo. Winchester Super Express.
Glasses Textile Wood Natural material Eyewear
Bicycle part Wood Trigger Sports equipment Air gun

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,192 Posts
I still love the .308win cartridge. From hunting Elk, Deer, Pronghorn, Black Bear, wild boars and vermin control, it’s very capable. I do give the 30-06 some credit but if I were to upgrade using the 30-cal, it would have to be the 300 win mag. The .308 Win will be around for some time much Longer than most believe.

The 6.5cm doesn’t rock my boat as I see the 6.5 swede did/does everything the 6.5cm can do and better.

The two cartridges that has intrigued me the most lately is both the 6.5grendel and the 6.8spc.

And lastly, the one round that has truly stood the test of time, the 7.62x39. it isn’t great at a lot of things, but does well enough if kept within its limitations. I could say the same for the 30-30 but the rimmed cartridge is also a limiting factor for wider use.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I like 35 caliber cartridges: 9MM, 38/357, 35 Rem, 350 Legend. I'd be tempted to buy something in the next run up (358 win or 35 Whelen), but I don't imagine they would do anything I can't get the others to do,
Big fan here, as well!

Love my 45-70, 35, 30-30 and 39A. Among many others...😊
Wood Knife Blade Composite material Musical instrument accessory

16,727 Posts
The 6.5 Creedmoor has increasingly better ballistics out past 300 yards vs the .308 Win, but its not enough for me to change over, but rather considering a supplement of my caliber choices if I have a need for such.

The (1) .308 Win, .(2) 22 LR, (3) 5.56x45 NATO, (4) 9x19mm Parabellum, and (5) 12 Gauge are arguably the minimum firearm calibers that every home should have and be capable of utilizing within the United States at this moment. If for no other reason, the general availability of ammunition, parts, firearms, etc.

While I understand that the 6.5 Creedmoor is becoming increasingly popular, I'm not there purchasing one yet. I may consider purchasing, or even a build of one in the future.

Reactions: SoJ_51
1 - 20 of 58 Posts