Survivalist Forum banner

Have you ever been lost?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I read stories about people that have been lost and never found or found in a very bad state and I always wonder what happens that can turn a relatively ordinary day so bad.

When I was out hunting with my father years ago I got turned around on a trail he had sent me on. I didn't want to admit I was lost so I marked my trail and traveled in all four compass directions trying to find my bearings. Always returning to my start point (a two track).

Well, after a while I had to admit I was lost so I returned to the two track sat down and blew my whistle.

Within minutes my Dad came barreling down the road in his truck fist shaking out the window.

I thought I was in trouble.

No, his fist was held in pride that I did the right thing and my story ended there without a news copter hovering overhead.

So, how about all of you, what's your story?

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
I was lost on Mt Monadnock on the way down. I went a differnt trail on the way down. The trail marker was missing and the trail looked like it went straight but hidden to the left was the actual trail. So I followed the trail and after about 10 minutes realized that I wasnt on the trail. I didnt know which way the trail was so I was lost. I started to get nervous thinking that I might have to spend the night and the thought of search and rescue finding me. I had all my survival gear with me incase i needed to spend the night. I took out my stove made some hot chocolate using my headlamp I tryed to figure out where I was on the map but I couldnt and I had an idea where I could be. So I used my compass and just went 1 direction west until I found a small stream. I remembered the parking lot had a river next to it. I filled my water bottles up with my Miniworks. Then I followed the stream until it turned into a river and kept following that. Then I saw a trail marker with a sign that said .5 miles to parking lot. At that point I knew where I was and I made it back safely.

·
Antique Nurse
644 Posts
I'm a woman, so I ALWAYS ask directions...... ;)

Seriously - my dad was SO focused on teaching me to not get lost, I have never been lost - and I have been miles out in some pretty remote areas.

Once when I was about 8, some college kids and a professor were going on a day hike and since Dad was in class he said I could go with them. We walked a couple miles, and they realized they were lost! :eek:

I knew exactly how to get back.....

*sigh* some people....

They all told my dad when we got back that if it hadn't been for me they would have been out there at least overnight. He said THEY mght have been, but he knew I wouldn't be!

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
57,248 Posts
I was about 13 or 14 and was allowed to hunt deer for the first time in my life. My dad had purchased a 30.30 Winchester for my birthday and I was going to use it in real life for the first time.

We had always hunted in California's High Sierra Mountains and we generally went to the same area year after year. My dad would always take me along and I would just hike along with him. This year, my dad was going to hunt with a friend of his named Bucky. He was an Indian and a pretty good tracker. Bucky had an area of the country that he liked to hunt in which was not far from Bishop, CA. This was new territory for me, my dad, and my brother. Anyway, we reached our destination and parked the vehicles. We had to hike about 3 miles up the slope to our campsite. My dad didn't like this idea as he prefered to have his vehicle nearby. Anyway, that evening Bucky suggested that he show me the ropes on how to hunt deer the next morning.

The next morning, we got a very early start. It was still dark. I followed Bucky up the mountain to our destination then we just waited until it got light enough to see. I soon realized that Bucky had a bit of a drinking problem. Here it was early morning and he was taking a shot or two to "warm up." When it got light enough, we started heading towards a wooded area. He told me to go around a stand of trees and to take my time doing it. He said that it would be okay if I made a little noise cause he wanted me to scare a deer his way. He said that if he didn't bag a deer that he would meet me on the other side of the stand of trees. I did as I was told. I got to the other side of the forest and waited. And waited and waited, etc. 1 then 2 hours went by but it seemed like and eternity. It started to get blustery and windy and dark clouds were moving in fast. I started to sort of panic inside. I began to think that maybe he had already tried to meet me and we missed each other. I really had no idea where I was because we had hiked up in the dark. The wind started to howl and I was really concerned. I decided to see if I could figure out how to reach our base camp. I started in the direction I thought it was but I came to a very steep cliff but it looked like there were plenty of foot holds. I decided to risk climbing down this cliff. Bad idea.

As I started making my way down the 30' cliff, the wind caught my back and knocked me off balance. I fell and landed hard. I was knocked out for a time; I broke my left arm pretty badly; the lever of my 30.30 was jambed open and I could not get it unjambed. My dad had always told me that if I got lost that I should fire my weapon in the air as a marker. Anyway, I was in pretty bad shape. When I came to, I realized that it was starting to get dark. The clouds were black and the wind was heavy. I started walking in the direction that I believed the campsite was. I kept yelling for my dad (in between whimpers and the pain in my arm). I was literally in a panic. Finally, I could hear my dad yelling in the distance. He hadn't heard me yet but I heard him. I headed in his direction with renewed hope and I yelled louder. We found each other. We had to break camp, walk three miles down to the vehicle, and drive 60 miles to the town of Bishop where I got my arm set.

It turned out that Bucky had taken a nap. He was very apologetic but my dad never had anything else to do with this "top notch tracker."

I personally learned to be much more aware of my surroundings before I start to hike anywhere. I look for landmarks, the direction the sun moves in the sky, etc., before I hike anywhere. It doesn't hurt to put markers along the trail as long as you remove them on your way back.

·
Woman Hater
1,074 Posts
Lost behind enemy lines...so not cool, but all went fine

Reactions: NCalHippie

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
have been times i wasnt sure where i was, but thanks ta compass, pen, and 3x5 notepad always knew how ta git back where i came from

Reactions: NCalHippie

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
No matter how many times I do it, I get lost driving in Montreal EVERY frickin' time!

Lost in the sticks a couple of times as a teen, but managed to find my way out after sitting down, taking a couple of deep breaths, and using my head.

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
I think one needs to define "lost" before you can answer

If it means you had no means, possibility, chance or hope of getting back...... I can say a solid no.

If it means you were temporaraly lost, utilized you skills and got it done.....oh...yeah a couple of times.

I remeber hiking out of snow covered terran in mid january on a lion hunt, 1-3' of snow, dark, tired, alone trying to make it back to my snowmobile. The machine was parked on a broken (Well more like it had my tracks on it) trail. I came out on the trail above it and thought I was below it. After some uneeded walking I found it. Did I learn some lessons, u-bet. I also bought some snowshoes to make things easier next time. I expirenced true exustsion and better understand how my body works.

I think there are two catigories:

Those who have been lost

Those who think it will never happen (or) they are to good to get lost.

The latter being the most dangerous as you have never devoloped coping skills and really had to work through it.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
ive walked of a trail of a park that doesnt get any maintness and got lost in the vallys quickly it was like trail then no trail at all i knew i was heading in the right direction but i over shot that parking lot figured out when i goto the lake and had to hike back to the road a bit.. wasnt really lost just off trail in the middle of nowere.. with whole family with me so no one would know we were there..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts