Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequent some gun forums and there has been a lot of discussion on what people have ramped up related to gun carry in the car. I myself have gone to carrying a 9mm PCC in addition to my normal concealed carry. I carry it in this bag https://amzn.to/2PF6Gnt . I really like it an it is doesn't scream gun and has room for other items. I did not see this one https://amzn.to/2XLf35r until after i bought the other. Isn't that how it always is. lol A bit more tactical on the outside, but the hook and loop inside would make some small item organization easier.

I have also increased the amount of food and medical supplies I carry with me. I figure it might take me and possibly the family longer to make it home in this craziness. This is even though I limit my trips off the property way more than ever. I also go alone is at all possible. I know I can make it back home quicker than the whole family and they can remain home where it is as safe as anywhere can be. I have also began building the winter kit I normally add to the car.

I know we all have reviewed what we may need to add at home and have added as we can. Anyone else beefed up the car kit? What have you added that you may have never thought to before? Just hoping to see an omissions I may have made and missed.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Things are still pretty quiet in my area and I don't anticipate that changing without some major event happening first. In light of that I haven't made any changes recently. My vehicle is pretty well equipped on a regular basis as it is.
A buddy of mine has the UTG bag that you linked. He has some complaints about it, though nothing too major, so I'm planning on ordering the Savior TGB. Then we can compare them and see which each of us prefers. They are very similar.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
745 Posts
If anything, I have recently gone the other way to avoid smash and grabs, which are on the increase in our area. I try to have NOTHING visible in the car (Wrangler) if I plan on leaving it unattended for anytime.

I don't take a rifle to go to the grocery store or the office. Pistol- yes, rifle- no.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Bought, loaded a few more clips for the back-up pistols & placed in vehicles.
Since I am old/slow/feeble & sick looking, feel more like a potential hold-up target.
Almost always have my CCW on me any more, when out & about.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,738 Posts
Always good to re-evaluate these things.

I would not be in the habit of leaving anything highly valuable in the vehicle due to statistics. Vehicle thefts and break ins number in the many millions annually versus the statistical anomaly of needing a "car gun."

That said, a get home bag with not valuable stuff like extra clothing, shoes, food and water is good thinking. Stage a second bag maybe by the front door to take with you when you take the car, and that could contain the more valuable theft prone items like a firearm, ammo, tools, compass, etc.

Of course a gun on your person is ideal.

All subject to your laws of course.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I would not be in the habit of leaving anything highly valuable in the vehicle due to statistics. Vehicle thefts and break ins number in the many millions annually versus the statistical anomaly of needing a "car gun."

That said, a get home bag with not valuable stuff like extra clothing, shoes, food and water is good thinking. Stage a second bag maybe by the front door to take with you when you take the car, and that could contain the more valuable theft prone items like a firearm, ammo, tools, compass, etc.

My gun bag comes with me whenever I leave the car. Of the GHB stuff in the car, the knives are probably worth more than anything else and they are replaceable. There is some very well concealed cash kept in the car, but, again, not enough to not be replaceable.

I also have a lockbox cabled inside the car on the very slim chance I have to leave my CC pistol behind. Nowadays, I just avoid places I would need to do that or leave my gun bag at home. My lockbox is kind of like this one. https://amzn.to/2PLIu2E Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

This is exactly what I do. A low value good resource car bag and a daily high value high good bring along bag.

·
Banned
57 Posts

Thats what I do.

I used to haul so much gear it was absurd. Now I go mission specific and minimalist mostly.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
OP...car kit has evolved tremendously over the last couple years and even more so the last 3 months.

Old days didn't even CCW. Kept a snub in the car next to me. Carried a Benchmade folder, tact light and pepper spray for CCW, no gun.

The started to carry snub on body+ pepper, knife, light + car snub.

When things went to hell recently the CCW snub got replaced with G19. But no matter, always keep the same snub in car for last ditch.

Then added G17 + bag of hi-cap mags in small netbook bag in car. Some mags have hollow point, (black) some mags have nylon coated hi-penetration bullets.(green) Nylon / Teflon coated bullets give you about 40% more penetration. Also in bag is a 2500 lumen light. And sometimes carry a class IV weapons laser.

Beside all that I now carry a little AR pistol in the trunk and can get to it through the pass through. If I don't worry about break-ins I take the SIG. If I have to leave the car I take a cheapo Keltec to limit any loss. (Don't put a suppressor on the Keltec unless you get a suppressor gas block. But shoot it unsuppressed and it blows your ears out. And even with suppressor not that good.) I got a suppressor for the MAC, but it is ridiculously long. About as long as the gun.

Prior to the AR pistols I used to carry a FN45 in a small bag. But didn't like it much. With suppressor it is pretty big. I carried in bag, unsuppressed. So you had to screw the damn thing on in an emergency. Plus grip is massive. So retired FN45 and went with AR pistols with suppressor attached and ready to go. In the car you have to be careful about swinging long guns around, not much room. I prefer as small of a footprint as I can while still maintaining some firepower.

I got a beautiful little MAC that would make a nice car gun, just for the noise. But not practical unless a world decomposes with no rule of law. You have to get ATF permission to take MAC out of state. Same with the SBR's I got. Plus you can't shoot MAC well with one hand and it burns through ammo fast, with lots of misses, even with two hands.

I'm driving in multiple states all the time, so don't fool with them, I could not afford to lose MAC. I use MAC mainly for fondling and thinking about how they used to be $200 back in '79 / '80.

The SIG has a loop strap that helps with stability. Strap goes around shoulder, you push gun forward and steadies the shot. Not into arm support AR pistols. I liked guns like a HK MP5, but way too $$ plus I need something practical to use and not fondle. I can shoot the G17 with one hand and have 33 rounds in the mag with multiple mags right next to me.

You can't drive and shoot the MP5 well with one hand. The AR pistol is not a one handed gun either. These type of guns are for shooting while parked. G17 / G19 with extended mags is an excellent option for a car gun. If I didn't worry about laws I'd carry true AR SBR's with Trij ACOG scopes...now your talking! If you want the ultimate in penetration with 5.56, get the M855A1 steel encased penetrator. Beats the M855 green tip 5.56 penetrator by far.

Good luck!

PS...if all you got is pepper or a light, blind em and smash in temple with bottom of can or bezel of light...and keep bashing until threat is stopped.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Thats what I do.

I used to haul so much gear it was absurd. Now I go mission specific and minimalist mostly.
Beside guns I may carry a water bottle and windbreaker. In winter I got a coat, slip on snow chains for shoe traction and a winter emergency kit with blanket. Otherwise I don't carry much...just weapons.

1,040 Posts
I’ll be taking the rifle with me more places. I’ve changed my car bag to an old gym bag, with a full size AR carbine in it, take. Down into two halves. I also carry six magazines, though those will be changing A little. Currently they are 3 of Hornady 69gr HP, 2 of M193 and one Of M855. I’ll be swapping those M193 out for more of the Hornady stuff.

As far as handguns, my EDC is now a Bersa 380, with a Beretta M9 in there sometimes. So I’m going to put a 2 or 3 mags for each in there.

In handgun ammo land, I’m going o do some testing of Liberty Civil Defense ammo, whose 9mm claims 2000fps, and their 380 claims 1500. In 9mm that may defeat pistol armor, so I am curious considering how some of these rioters are wearing armor. The 380 is doubtful, but I’ll give it a shot. Otherwise I’ll stick to 147gr Winchester jhp and Critical defense.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If anything, I have recently gone the other way to avoid smash and grabs, which are on the increase in our area. I try to have NOTHING visible in the car (Wrangler) if I plan on leaving it unattended for anytime.

I don't take a rifle to go to the grocery store or the office. Pistol- yes, rifle- no.
I started pulling all my gear out at night. We have had a bad rash of punks smashing a window on every car on the street looking for guns and cash. Cars that had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING visible showing, were broken into and tossed.

I'm in the NOLA Metro and while we have had always had this type of thing. The past 2 months have been particularly interesting, as the Trash is making its way into the suburbs.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Re-evaluated? Yes!

Changed up everything? No!

Tweaked a few things? Yes!

BLM tried to stage a “peaceful protest” here, but called it due to weather! Had nothing to do with several armed citizens hanging around at various businesses!

SD

·
What would Mal do
4,912 Posts
my change was to bring it all in the house...haven't commuted to work since mid March.

the occassional grocery store run is 3 miles...I added a spare mag to my always carry gun and that's it.

now...short road trips (4hrs each way) planned over the next 30 days...yeah...

I've already charged up the spare batteries on the HT comms, and my normal bag always makes the ride...that gives me 3 more spare mags for my 380, plus there's a compact 1911 in that bag with 4 spare mags to holster up..

the addition will be my laptop bag that has my sub gun in it...and 8x20rd mags of 9mm.

if that can't give me cover to get home...then it's a bad day anyway.

·
Indefatigable
21,029 Posts
Other than rotating food and seasonal items, the only changes made were back in Feb. when we added extra masks and gloves to the FAK. During car prepping threads I always like to mention, if you are going to carry it in the same space as yourself TIE IT DOWN. I survived a roll-over but was nearly beaten to death by my gear.

·
Stubborn Survivor
146 Posts
Other than rotating food and seasonal items, the only changes made were back in Feb. when we added extra masks and gloves to the FAK. During car prepping threads I always like to mention, if you are going to carry it in the same space as yourself TIE IT DOWN. I survived a roll-over but was nearly beaten to death by my gear.
I hate to admit it but that thought didn’t occur to me. I carry a 60lbs 8” drop hitch in the cab on the floorboard behind my passenger seat. Not to mention other crap. Now I need a new plan...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts