Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just feel comfortable asking this question at this place for some reason. How can I look at this as a good thing? I have never had to put a dog to sleep or any animal for that matter. This dog has been my life. I just cannot see this as the right thing to do even though I know it is the right thing to do.

I just need to hear from people I guess. I hate to ask for help, but this is an exception for me. Because this is of course, a very bad time for me.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
It's hard. Really hard. It is usually the right thing to do, but that doesent make it any easier, or hurt any less. All I can say is that time will heal you. You'll never forget a good dog, you'll always have a place in your heart for that loyal companion, but eventually you'll be able to talk about it and not choke up. It will get easier.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
You have my condolences. I had a friend named Louie that I had to have put to sleep in July. That dog and I had a bond. He was a Cocker Spaniel that came to me on Louisa Street in New Orleans about six weeks after Katrina hit. I never had to train him. He just knew what I said to him. I shed more tears over Louie than I did at my fiances grandfathers funeral a week before.

The silver lining is that when you go out to get another dog, you will know what qualities you are looking for. I bought another dog shortly after louie. He didn't fit in well. My ex-wife took him and he fits there (go figure). I adopted a shepard/terrier mix puppy at the end of September and he is turning out great.

You are in a tough place now. But if your friend is suffering.... Good luck.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Know how you feel Scoob ie , we have around six working dogs at a time, but every year it seems one has to be put down.
They are our family, and your dog is part of your family too.My husband puts them to sleep because it costs about $200 here,so I usually make a nice tea for him and dont talk as much that night.It,s hard, but has to be done.All the best.

·
Banned
906 Posts
Im so sorry to hear. As a dog lover and owner of 5, I don't know what I would do. But as a person who has worked in the Veterinarian field...understand that sometimes its the right thing to do. What is the problem with the dog that it need to be put down?

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your dog. It is very hard to lose a close friend and companion. As time passes it will get better. I have lost two. I still cherish their memory but I am sure they are better off.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. It's a very painful experience. We had to put our dog down the week of Christmas two years ago. I cried like a baby, for weeks afterwards I'd still think of him and bawl. I'd start to get up to let him out, then remember he wasn't there. It was a very real loss, yet hard to talk about because he wasn't quite as important as our kids or parents. It's kind of hard to explain why you're grieving over "just" an animal. Especially if you eat meat!

Anyway, we took comfort knowing that he'd spent his life well loved and cared for. We did the most humane thing we could by putting him down instead of letting him continue to suffer.

In time, the wound will scar over and you'll remember your dear pet with fondness. You may even finally let down your guard and learn to love another one. We recently got a new dog. I'll probably never love her the way I did the other one, but I can take care of her the way I did her predecessor and give her a good home. Just sitting and petting her can be theraputic.

Go ahead, let yourself grieve. It's okay. Those of us who have been there understand.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i lost 3 dogs just last month. all within 2weeks.
one was my oldest dog (great dane/shepard) we put him down cuz he was uncapable to move anymore and had lost all controll of his bowls.

second was my sisters puppy pitbull only 2 months old. she had gotten her from a friend. turns out the pup had parvo (deadly, almost incurable disease amongst dogs)

third was my best friends lab, was like my dog as well as i spent tons of time with the dog. she was also just too old to function as well.

i gotta say that the hardest one for me was putting down the puppy, even though we only had her for 3 days. in those 3 days she was dehydrated, had the runs, wouldnt eat or drink or do anything. it was so sad that we had to put her down cuz she was just a pup and didnt have a good healthy life.
with the other 2 dogs. it was still hard, but easier to deal with because they had good, long, full lives and since they were old and we knew that it was gonna have to come down to it, made it so much more easier to cope with.

good luck to you, and you have my sympathy.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Euthanasia

I just feel comfortable asking this question at this place for some reason. How can I look at this as a good thing? I have never had to put a dog to sleep or any animal for that matter. This dog has been my life. I just cannot see this as the right thing to do even though I know it is the right thing to do.

I just need to hear from people I guess. I hate to ask for help, but this is an exception for me. Because this is of course, a very bad time for me.
There is no easy way to do what you are about to do. An old vet friend of mine said to me once, we don't put our animal companions down because we don't love them, when it is time, we put them down humanely because we do love them.

First off, you are going to experience grief and loss. This is natural and a sign that you are human, not a sign that you are weak. There ain't no second acts when it comes to euthanasia.

Give yourself time to absorb the loss. Don't rush out and immediately get yourself another dog. It's not fair to you and it certainly isn't fair to the dog. Every animal, like every human is unique. Eventually you may decide to get another companion animal. It will not then nor ever REPLACE the companion you lost.

The following is something I ran across many years ago. Some here will scoff and call it maudlin... I submit that it may give you some solace...
The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing... they miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but one day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, legs carrying him faster and faster.

YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look one more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

May you find peace in making your difficult decision.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I put my big handsome goofy lummox best buddy hiking and herding partner defender to sleep in 1991, and although I love all my dogs, no one has come close to that big guy. He was a Great Dane/German Shepard cross. I paid $10for him at a yard sale and had him almost 12 years. He's buried in my horse paddock, near the horses he loved (I still have the same horses he knew and protected).

I wish you peace of mind and heart. Your friend has been very fortunate to have such a caring owner. People on this forum love their dogs, everyone understands. Bless...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Someone's dog needed to be put down and they asked me. i took her for a walk up in the hills and put a bullet in the back of her head when she wasnt looking. i wasnt attached to the dog but i made the last moments good ones.

If it was my doggie, that would have been different.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
dogs go to heaven because they came in the world knowing how to love.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's a very important responsibility to help your loyal friend pass from the world as comfortably and with as much dignity as possible. Whenever I have had to do it I've had the vet give the dog a powerful sedative first which makes them very relaxed and dreamy. Then I have held them while the vet administers the final shot. Felt thier final breath and whispered some final words as they drift off. Plan exactly what you will do immediately after they are put to sleep, whether you are going to bury the animal yourself or have the vet or some company do it. I found doing it myself a bit too heart wrenching (you need to be prepared for what happens to them physically) and the vets are usually very understanding. If you are agonising about whether to do it or not remember that it's the dog's welfare and quality of life that is important - you have to make the decision for him/her. I usually make the decision to put them down if they can't walk without pain or have trouble eating and going to the toilet. The rainbow bridge link is at: http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm. All the best Scoob.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. I had to put down 2 animals already before and it is very tough. If they can't go on living a comfortable life it is whats best for them. If you want after he is put down you can have him cremated so he will be with you still. I know it sounds odd, but we did it to our Brittany Spaniel and i know we don't regret it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm a dog breeder and have lots of dogs--I love them all dearly; some more than others but its hard with any of them. I've lost 3 dogs this year myself--two had cancer -one died at home; the other at the vets office. The other died naturally of old age.
You don't say what the problem is with your dog but one thing I've learned through the years is to never be in a rush to put them to sleep unless it is obvious that there is no hope, such as when my beagle got mangled up by a coyote. My vet explained the depth of her injuries and I could see that she was suffering badly. It would've been $1500 to start and he advised that he didn't think she'd make it even to get her stabilized, much less surgery.
But if I had followed the vets advice twice on other occasions, I'd have lost 2 of my dogs prematurely. The one did have cancer but the vet said that she'd be gone in 1-2 weeks. I got an extra 6 months with her. The other I still have and she's sitting 6' away from me as I speak and that was 2-3 yrs. ago.
If it is necessary that you must say goodbye, then just remember the good life that you have provided for your dog. This is all that is expected of us--to love our pets and give them a good life. Sometimes it is our love for our pets that we put them to sleep--in mercy to our loved pet. It is US who then suffers from their loss but we know that our pet is not suffering anymore.
There is no right answer whether you should wait on getting a new pet right away or grieve for a while. It is not wrong to find another pet right away. A person must do what is right for THEM--it is a deeply personal decision and no one should try to tell someone else what is right or wrong.
I have been in both places--sometimes I feel its right to wait and other times I have not. I sometimes feel that our pet would want us to have another pet immediately to make ourselves happy and not grieving. I don't think our pet would want us to feel sad. I think they WANT us to be happy. I feel that if we have saved a shelter pet, then our own pet would want that --because though their own life is gone, we have saved another by adopting a dog that often would have died when they are young and healthy.
But you must do what is right for you. I'm sorry for your loss and/or your grief. Best Wishes.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Someone's dog needed to be put down and they asked me. i took her for a walk up in the hills and put a bullet in the back of her head when she wasnt looking. i wasnt attached to the dog but i made the last moments good ones.

If it was my doggie, that would have been different.
Sometimes it can be easier to come to grips with the loss if you do it yourself. Go to a place that both of you love, make the last few moments great ones, then put him/her down painlessly. I believe that it's better than a cold table at an unfamiliar vet's office. It's hard to do though, I was able to do it with a little pup that was really sick, but I tried with an older dog that had been my friend for years, and I just couldn't do it.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Think of it this way, do you want your pet to suffer more? It is the humane thing to do. Let them go. It doesn't mean you don't love them. As i have said before, I spent much of my youth in an animal reserve area on the Gulf Coast of TExas. We had to put down animals all the time. Some we had nursed back to health or had raised from the time they were babies. it is very hard but you are doing the right thing. I work with rescue dogs now. I have had my main dog (Golden Ret) for nearly 9 years. It will be hard when something happens to her. My wife had never had a dog that she really bonded with before. this is her dog. Take care and you will be in our prayers and thoughts.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
If only humans had the choice to humanely end their own lives legally. As was posted, we put our animals 'to sleep' because we love them and we want whats best for them and we don't want them to suffer.

I had a Queensland Australian Shepard that I had to put down 3 yrs ago. His name was Snickers. You couldn't raise a hand to me w/o him attacking you. He was an awesome guard dog.
When I found out he had cancer, I was told the type he had was very painful to die from and there was nothing that could be done for him.
I took him home and for three days, fed him anything he wanted to eat. He ate everything from pizza to baklava and even chocolate.
I was outside with him when the vet came to my house. I had already made arrangements for him to be cremated.

He didn't look sick or act sick. Which made my decision extremely difficult. But his insides was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. I could not allow him to suffer such an excruciating death because of my selfishness of not wanting to let go.

I miss my boy very much and there will never be another dog that can take his place.

Allow your heart to mourn your loss. And my deepest sympathy goes out to you.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
It's hard...very hard. I lost my "Jeep" last year...see my avatar. I lost "Judge" to coyotes 2 1/2 years ago, and "Osa" to a rattlesnake 8 years ago. I have an old full blooded lab that I adopted, that wondered up a year or so ago. I know he is about 7-9 years old. I already had to put 1 down...I did that myself. I know it won't be but a few years til "Buddy" gets bad off...I am not looking forward to it.

I am lucky as Jeep's grandson is her spittin image...(can't quite run 30mph...YET)

This a sad and bad business...but it helps strengthen us, I think, so when or if theings ever get real bad, other hard choices will be a bit easier to make.

Keep your chin up...time helps. But, never forget them. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts