Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know how they handle pulling a driveshaft or engine or rear end. I need a driveshaft for my Subaru and Pull-A-Part seems to be the only lot in the area that has the right one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How who handles it? Is it the kind of place where you ask for a part and they go get it because of liability? Driveshaft should be no prob. What year?

·
177 Posts
Here you take the part off of the car yourself, they are sitting on rims on the frame so you can get underneath. I've used they a lot.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
I need to know how they handle pulling a driveshaft or engine or rear end. I need a driveshaft for my Subaru and Pull-A-Part seems to be the only lot in the area that has the right one.
I've used them a number of times. There's usually some people standing around who you can pay to pull the part, or pull it yourself.

If you need something from underneath like an axle, they will usually lift the car for you with a forklift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just food for thought

I'm just going to throw this out there for ya, but my buddy down in Fla. runs an auto salvage yard and it has really evolved in the last 20 years! All their parts are pulled, tagged with bar codes and shelved. The old "U-Pull it" yards are still around but why not try the modern auto salvage yards? With one phone call they can tell you not only if they have it, but if any other auto salvage yards in their network have the part as well. Just wanted to give you some more options. - Tom

·
Alrighty then
274 Posts
I'm just going to throw this out there for ya, but my buddy down in Fla. runs an auto salvage yard and it has really evolved in the last 20 years! All their parts are pulled, tagged with bar codes and shelved. The old "U-Pull it" yards are still around but why not try the modern auto salvage yards? With one phone call they can tell you not only if they have it, but if any other auto salvage yards in their network have the part as well. Just wanted to give you some more options. - Tom
It's even easier than a phone call....

http://car-part.com/

MANY yards are networked via this site and it is quite awesome when it comes to finding a used part in need.......

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Pull A Part is basicly slimeballs doing the least they can, however if you know what you are looking for and have the skills they can be useful. for what you are looking for i would ebay for it. more reliable and probably cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Pull A Part is a great place. All the people I know that use them have good experiences and some deal with them weekly. They are CHEAP. You can deal with someone who pulls the parts off and catalogs it on a shelf but you are paying for the part, the time to remove the part, a small percentage to recoup the start up cost of the new system, parts for keeping everything on the shelves (forklift shelves), the time it takes them to remove it and have it ready etc. Pull A Part buys the car pops off the wheels sets the axles on the wheels and it's all your for fun. So it is cheaper because you have to remove the part but I guess if you were looking to spend more you would have paid someone to deal with all of it anyways. Good luck. Look at different ones they have on the lot as well - inspect ... always inspect even if parts are new. Research online the part you are looking for or call the dealership for any unforseen issues ... my dealership always offers free advise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went to the one here looking for a gas tank for my camry, someone else walking around the yard said they punch a hole in all the gas tanks to drain them of gas, and said lots of times they do that to the oilpan and tranny pan to drain the fluids too. Out of about 18 camry's, I found one that wasn't punched, because it had hardly any gas in it I think. Turned out to be a good one. Just keep an eye out for that kind of thing. as far as a driveshaft, just pull one or two, and sight down the edge as you slowly twist it, it should be fairly easy to see if it is straight or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really depends on what you have more of, time or money. If you have the time Pull-a-part is great. If you have more money, why bother.

·
Poppin' mags
1,830 Posts
I live next to a place like that...might be the same place. The name is Green something.

Honestly, I think it's better to get the experience of going out and taking it off the vehicle in question. Car repair is an important survival skill.

·
Registered
148 Posts
back when I had 3 kids and little cash I used Pull a part boneyards quite a bit, Pulling a Driveshaft shouldn't be much of a problem, I really don't know your skill level and hope you don't think I'm being a "Know it all"
This has been my experiance with them so far,
1. Just cause they say they have it on the computer doesn't mean it going to be there,
2. Take your own tools, I never seen such a place provide any.
3. It's going to take twice as long as you plan for it, LOL!
4. Take Neosporin and band aids, (You may not need them, But then again....)
5. Take a friend, If you get hurt there might not be anyone around,
6. Try to go as early as possible, before the sun starts beating down on you, and if you go in the evening you might end up trying to "Beat the Clock" when it gets close to closing time,
7. Enjoy the experiance!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
We have PicknPulls. They are self-service junk yards. There are guys (independent contractors) hanging around out front with a box of tools ready for you to pay them to pull the parts you want.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I haven't used a salvage yard in 15+ years, but back then they were all "pull-a-parts." I was into restoring old Dodge's back then, I used to keep a painter's jumpsuit in my trunk so I could throw it on over my suit & tie to go pull parts over my lunch break.

Since then most salvage yards have caught up with the modern age, most have very detailed catalogs of all the parts they have on-hand, especially drivetrain parts (engine, transmission, differential, driveshaft, etc.). I would try calling around some more first, if you haven't already.

If you do go to pull it yourself be sure to check it over thoroughly, as others have said the cars get beat around alot by forklifts moving them around the lot.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I just collect old rigs, all my friends bring all their old rigs here. When I buy a rig I try buy the same thing I already have that way all the parts are interchangeable.

I have three Subarus here, one here by the house that I used the starter and flywheel from to make my bailer electric start, and two parked back in the middle ravine.

In your shoes I would look in the paper and on craigslist and ask around at all the tow shops and find an entire rig for $50 to $100 bucks and use the parts off of it for years to come.

Just the way I do it.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
the junkyard down the road from us will flip the car on its side for ya if you want something off the bottom
LOL... the starter went out on my truck when I was stationed at Norfolk, I got tired of having to push it to get it started so I went to an old salvage yard out there.

The old boy running the place lifted the car up for me to stand under and pull the starter, except his forklift was dropping at about an inch per second. You ought to try and pull a starter under those conditions.... not only nerve racking but quite a feat of coordination as well.

Got my starter and it was bad also, but the old boy took it apart with me and we swapped bad parts out and got mine running. Ever since that day I know how to tear apart starters and get them working, has been some very handy knowleage many times since then.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts