Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people think about the scandinavian grind? Is it easier or more difficult to sharpen given that you have to remove more steel but it's easy to maintain the angle? does it make for a weak edge, or a weaker knife in general given the generally thinner blades used?

I'd like to get a 4 to 5 inch hunting knife and maybe a smaller fixed blade for wood carving and stuff.

I am looking at mora blades that I can haft myself because they seemed like the most knife for my buck. What I want is a solid blade that holds an edge well even if it occasionally touches bone, and that I can touch up in the field.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I just got a new scandi. The blade stock is 4mm though so I'm not worried about thin edge so much. I find this kind of edge MUCH easier to sharpen given the bevel is laid flat. Kind of takes some of the error out of it. I have never had a knife this sharp before. I have a 3 set of Japanese water stones. 800, 1200 and 6000 grit. Sure does a nice job.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
A scandi grind tends to chip easier than if you have a secondery bevel which gives the edge more strength.

I also think a secondery bevel is easier to sharpen.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A scandi grind tends to chip easier than if you have a secondery bevel which gives the edge more strength.
I agree with that. If you take care with it though and keep it to the tasks it was intended you should be fine. I know I just spent the day taking out a nick. Just now tonight I got the edge where I want it with a high polish. My hands are sore and red.

I also think a secondery bevel is easier to sharpen.
I would have to argue that one sticks. I been sharpening knives for some time haha. I never had edges like this before. With this single bevel all I have to do it keep the bevel flat and the works done for me. I am feathering paper now hahaha. Of course sharpening is all about skill.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
I agree with that. If you take care with it though and keep it to the tasks it was intended you should be fine. I know I just spent the day taking out a nick. Just now tonight I got the edge where I want it with a high polish. My hands are sore and red.

I would have to argue that one sticks. I been sharpening knives for some time haha. I never had edges like this before. With this single bevel all I have to do it keep the bevel flat and the works done for me. I am feathering paper now hahaha. Of course sharpening is all about skill.
Yep my hands are sore:xeye:

I find that a single bevel is easy to grind but i think that because i know a secondary makes for a stronger edge ive mastered that way of sharpening and use it more that it has become second nature to do.:thumb:

I just rub my diamond card along the blade,give it a strop and bobs yer uncle.:D:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies. I guess this is one of those things that come down to taste. I will have to try one out for myself, figure out how easy is easy, how strong is strong, etc. and if it will work for the tasks I had in mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts