Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most important survival clothing items is a hat.
Sure bare headed may seem cooler but you will build up more body heat by asorbing the suns radiation that if you wear a hat. In cooler weather half of your body heat loss can be through your head and that means calories that you may need.
My favorite is the heavy twill cotton boonie for summer I sometimes soak mine down in water for some extra evaporative effect.
I like the wool fedoras that you can crush up in winter and the Soviet fleece lined caps that have ear flaps velcrowed to the top.
I find that the brim all around protects the back of the neck and ears as well as the eyes.
Personally I do not find the baseball type as useful but I have some and I perfer natural fiber to synthetic.
Just remimber in a survival situation "KEEP YOU HAT ON". Sorry I could not resist!:D

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Picking a good hat that fit my needs and my lifestyle took years. Finally I settled on a boonie hat - the same one in my videos.

The boonie hat, with its wide brim keeps with sun out of my eyes better then a regular baseball style cap, and keeps the sun off the back of my neck - something a baseball style cap can not do.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Just remimber in a survival situation "KEEP YOU HAT ON". Sorry I could not resist!

And don't "LOSE YOUR HEAD," so you have something to "KEEP YOU HAT ON".
Me either!

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I wear a boonie hat while hunting, but with the brim folded down, I find it impares my hearing, so I fold it up like a "Robin Hood" hat. Looks goofy.

·
Premium Member
12,355 Posts
i use a cotton ball cap most all year....when winter comes i use a cotton knitted watch cap or beanie as we call it....however in the last few years i have been looking at campain style hats (WW1 style) because of their wide brim and tough felt construction i could steam and shape the brim to my liking.....but....still thinking about it........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts