Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I decided I needed a good hatchet for when in the bush and decided to mod a vaughn carpenters hatchet to my liking as i like to be able to choke up on the haft to where i can whittle with it so its over the knuckles so i have in essence a bearded hatchet.

0503121452.jpg

0503121735.jpg

0508122312.jpg

so you can see where I drilled along the line of mettle I wanted to remove and then after I drilled enough holes I got a chisel and took it to the anvil and chiseled the area off and got to filing the area smooth. I still have a bit of work left going to sand it a little more and then I am going to force patina it with boiling apple cider vinegar wich should give it a black/blued appearance then I will re-haft the hatchet with a hickory handle stained and oiled with a lanyard hole/lanyard at the back of the handle. and then give it its final edge profile.

If y'all got any hatchet/tomahawk mods Post em up I will update when i get the hatchet finished in a few days.:thumb:

·
All around gun nut
202 Posts
Very cool!!! After I got out of USMC boot camp, I purchased a Stanley hachet.. Way back in 85.. It's been with me in more countries than most people have only read about.. I have had to rehandle it 3 or 4 times.. And it keeps on ticking..
I am sure you have a lifetime friend there! Great work!!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool!!! After I got out of USMC boot camp, I purchased a Stanley hachet.. Way back in 85.. It's been with me in more countries than most people have only read about.. I have had to rehandle it 3 or 4 times.. And it keeps on ticking..
I am sure you have a lifetime friend there! Great work!!
hopefully :eek: one thing I have never tried doing but does not seem hard is decorative file work, I want to try that when I find some suitable candidate

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my highly modded Fiskars hatchet as seen in the knife section of the forum.

nice thats pretty badd assed just out of curiosity you think about using some counter sunk bolts so its all flush?

Reactions: klickitat

·
Making chips
919 Posts
C-Sink bolts are too weak. The walls that surround the head are only about .100 wide leaving only enough room for about 4 threads. That would allow them to pull out too easy.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
C-Sink bolts are too weak. The walls that surround the head are only about .100 wide leaving only enough room for about 4 threads. That would allow them to pull out too easy.
makes sense..

·
All around gun nut
202 Posts

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
All around gun nut
202 Posts
No.. I figured it would be cheap enuf to practice your file work.. Personally I think an extra removable set of scales to cover the sharp edge when not in use, would work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts