Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have used food from all the above that willow listed and happy with all. If you are looking for the basics like wheat, oats, beans then the LDS website is by far the cheapest and they have free shipping. I have used the Honeyville freeze dried veggies and liked them fine, from Emergency Essentials I have instant dry milk which is what we use for drinking now.

I have started ordering from Shelf Reliance as my mother has been trying them out and was very happy with the food. I have tried several of the fruits myself and was very happy. My mother has used the dry eggs, butter, cheese, a bunch of the fruits and veggies and is happy with all.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,607 Posts
I have not atually eaten the food i ordered from them, as they are in 30 day kit boxes, don't wish to open em up to sample, but have no doubt, from the reviews i have read, that if a shtf setting, they'd taste great...

their customer service was great, good pricing, etc...

bottom left, two boxes are the 30 day kits...

Attachments

·
Trying to Live Free
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not atually eaten the food i ordered from them, as they are in 30 day kit boxes, don't wish to open em up to sample, but have no doubt, from the reviews i have read, that if a shtf setting, they'd taste great...

their customer service was great, good pricing, etc...

bottom left, two boxes are the 30 day kits...
Awesome man. Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
We use Auguson Farms strawberries and milk all the time. The strawberries are like regular strawberries after they are rehydrated. Some are sweeter than others. No sugar added.

The milk we got for the cat - she drinks it every day. Before this, she drank fat-free fresh milk. Wasn't sure if she would drink it, but she drank it from the first and is very happy with it. We drink it with cereal and it seems fine. We usually mix it in the blender, then let it sit overnight. If you've never used it, foam forms on top. It's not like regular milk foam, hard to describe. It takes hours for the foam to settle down. It tastes better if you let it sit for a while.

It was ordered from Sam's Club. I like Auguson's because you can order a lot of vegetables, fruit and other products a la carte, and they come with no salt added, which is a big plus if you're living off preps. Canned goods are way too salty to eat all the time. Will definitely order from them again.

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
I've ordered Morning Moos and sour cream powder from Augason's and haven't actually tried either. In fact, I haven't even received the Morning Moos yet. Their shipping time is terrible. I ordered the sour cream on May 31 and it arrived yesterday. I ordered the Morning Moos on June 1 and am still waiting for it.

That being said, I've waited just as long for orders from Emergency Essentials. I think these places are just bombarded right now. People are very nervous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At Christmas time I bought some cans of freeze-dried strawberries from Augason Farms. I decided to open the can to help me decided if food storage was a good gift. Anyway, that can was less than 1/2 full. Since storage space is a concern, I opened another can of strawberries that was full (bought a few years earlier). I wrote Augason Farms asking why they were selling some cans only half full and are they now being deceptive in their packaging. There was no response, but I won't buy their food again.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
At Christmas time I bought some cans of freeze-dried strawberries from Augason Farms. I decided to open the can to help me decided if food storage was a good gift. Anyway, that can was less than 1/2 full. Since storage space is a concern, I opened another can of strawberries that was full (bought a few years earlier). I wrote Augason Farms asking why they were selling some cans only half full and are they now being deceptive in their packaging. There was no response, but I won't buy their food again.
Did you weigh the food? I believe the food is not sold by the can but by the weight so as long as the weight of the food is what is stated on the can you are good to go regardless if the can is half full or not.

·
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
44,285 Posts
Augason farms claims no GMO's in most of their stuff too, which is a plus. I have a lot of Augason farms emergency foods.

·
Is there any more coffee?
103 Posts
I just got several #10s from Auguson - instant milk, morning moos, and some veggies. Haven't tried any of them, but noticed that they sell the small cans labeled "everyday" size. I guess they are meant to be sampled before you decide to buy a pallet.

Don't remember the exact number of days, but the shipping time was not great.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,287 Posts
It's sold by weight, not by volume. It's not uncommon to have a half full can and a nearly full can and the contents weigh the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Augason Farms Arbitrary Can Size

Here is a paragraph of the letter I send Augason: "Yesterday I purchased a #10 can of whole strawberries from Augason Farms at WinCo in Henderson, NV to put into storage. I opened it because it thought it might make practical Christmas gifts. When I opened the can, I found it was 1/3 to 1/2 full (6.4 0z.- 25 servings). I felt ripped off. So, I found another Augason Farms #10 can in my storage bought in 1999 of whole strawberries (8 oz. - 22 servings) and opened it. It was full to the brim. I thought the strawberries tasted good."

I understand that the product is measured in weight. However, I don't carry a scale when I shop and I expect the can I buy to be full. These were exactly the size can. Isn't that deception?

·
?
2,205 Posts
Sam's Club sells Augason--and they sell it cheaper than on the Augason website.

Here are some threads discussing them:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/tags.php?tag=augason+farms
I'm ordering individual items as opposed to kits and have found that ordering from Augason Farms directly is cheaper than Sam's due to AFs over $200 free shipping and no sales tax if you're outside of Utah.

Their gluten free items are wonderful!

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,287 Posts
Here is a paragraph of the letter I send Augason: "Yesterday I purchased a #10 can of whole strawberries from Augason Farms at WinCo in Henderson, NV to put into storage. I opened it because it thought it might make practical Christmas gifts. When I opened the can, I found it was 1/3 to 1/2 full (6.4 0z.- 25 servings). I felt ripped off. So, I found another Augason Farms #10 can in my storage bought in 1999 of whole strawberries (8 oz. - 22 servings) and opened it. It was full to the brim. I thought the strawberries tasted good."

I understand that the product is measured in weight. However, I don't carry a scale when I shop and I expect the can I buy to be full. These were exactly the size can. Isn't that deception?
They have definately reduced the weight of the contents alright. 6.4 vs 8 ounces is quite a reduction.

Finding any dry food full to the brim though is sheer luck because of settling. Unfortunately, all throughout the grocery industry, they are reducing the amount of food. Sometimes they use a smaller can for wet pack foods. I guess the dry food storage industry is just putting less food into the can.

It's not necessarily deceptive because they state the weight on the can. But I don't like it any more than you do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts