Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts
Banished is one of two "sim" type games, the other being Prison Architect, that I was looking into a few years ago but never got around coming back to.

Has anyone played this game before, and if so what was your experience?

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/game/
Yes, I have it. Once you learn to use the interface, it's a pretty nice game. Not QUITE "Sim" like, more community based, as you affect everyone, instead of individuals. Closer to "Sim City", but more involved. You have to spend some time to be good at it though. Requires a bit of dedication.

You should give it a try. Kinda hard though, if you're not used to this type of game.

I also recommend "This War of Mine".

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have it. Once you learn to use the interface, it's a pretty nice game. Not QUITE "Sim" like, more community based, as you affect everyone, instead of individuals. Closer to "Sim City", but more involved. You have to spend some time to be good at it though. Requires a bit of dedication.

You should give it a try. Kinda hard though, if you're not used to this type of game.

I also recommend "This War of Mine".
I meant sim as in simulation, not specifically the sim city franchise, which I'm not a fan of lol.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hard is what I want from games. I want games that discourage the casual gamer haha. Realism, challenge, skill, strategy.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts
I meant sim as in simulation, not specifically the sim city franchise, which I'm not a fan of lol.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hard is what I want from games. I want games that discourage the casual gamer haha. Realism, challenge, skill, strategy.

Personally, I like "The Sims 2", and I build laptops, specifically to run that game. However, if you want something challenging, "Banished" is good, "This War of Mine" is even harder.

"This War of Mine" is a survival strategy game, based on what happened in Yugoslavia. You must gather a group, gather resources, weapons, and ammo, Hide, and survive, during an urban war conflict. Similar to "Banished" in the respect it's a group, or community survival game. Nice concept. The instructions on game play, are a little obscure. You'll have to figure a lot of that out for yourself, but for me, that just adds another level of game play, mystique, and reality to it.

I actually "built" a nice, "new" gaming laptop, and will be installing "Banished" on it sometime here soon. If I have time to learn it, I'll be installing "This War Of Mine".

I don't care for "Sim City", I use SC4, to edit "The Sims 2" terrains. That's the extent of my Sim City usage.

If you ever get the opportunity to get the laptop below, it's a fantastic little gamer, and it'll run Win8.1, IF you get the one with the nVidia GTX950, and 6thGen i7.

You'll need to install at least a 256gb SSD, and 16gb/RAM.

Well worth it!

I payed $400 for mine NIB (open box) condition, and then did the upgrades.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rimworld is a very good simulation game. You manage a small colony of people surviving on another planet. You must provide them with food, shelter, and defense. Periodically you'll be attacked by bandits, so you'll need to build a base that can be easily defended. I have both it and Banished, and while Banished is a more relaxing, charming game, I prefer Rimworld.

If you really want to play a complex simulation game, go for Dwarf Fortress.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rimworld, this war of mine, and dwarf fortress.

Going to look into all of these.

:D:

Right now playing state of decay 2

·
Super Moderator
14,327 Posts
I bought this game thanks to this thread. Great game. As I was doing some reading about it I came across a thread on Steam talking about the developer. It seems that the game was developed completely by one guy. On Steam alone over a million copies have been sold. The developer is one rich guy thanks to this game.

Reactions: ForgedInTheFlame

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts
Rimworld, this war of mine, and dwarf fortress.

Going to look into all of these.

:D:

Right now playing state of decay 2

I just started playing "This War of Mine" last night. Doesn't take long to figure out a few of the basics, however, so far, strategy is a different matter. I think it's going to be fun. However, WARNING! It can be pretty depressing to play.:p

The game really sucks you in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts