Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Survivor
17,448 Posts
I have no friends just acquaintances.

What’s you commute? My record was 48 miles one way, wife is doing 45 now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The most I have ever commuted was 13 miles each way. That was when I was still living with my parents (close to 50 years ago) and I would usually car pool with my dad. The last job I had was about 4 miles one way. My wife commutes 2.5 miles each way, she used to ride her bike in good weather when she was younger.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,550 Posts
I ride the bus and hour and a half each way to work. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
A totally weird, random guy at my apartment building hit on me a couple of weeks ago. He wanted me to help him with some computer stuff, but then decided to attach romantic notions to it, when I wouldn't have. I didn't help him because a. he's not my type and b. wouldn't tell me if he got the vax or not. I've lived here a good 10 years and this is the first time this has happened in this building. I have a right to decide who I spend my time with, and total strangers aren't going to be it. But I don't go around telling people in my apartment building I prep. This was probably just a random act of weirdness, and it only happened because I was walking for exercise in the evening. Needless to say though, I will be spending more time inside my apartment. Any cardio will be done in the daytime.

·
Registered
576 Posts
We don't have the crime but lost power last winter for about 4 days. We had a generator and did quite well. Won the wife over big time (now a larger Genny). Neighbors were asking (then) about the set up. They still haven't done anything, and I even offered to sell my smaller setup. Not a peep, they had the generac people in, but I believe they discovered how expensive that is. I've since sold the small setup so if they come knocking they are sol. And I told the wife it will be a cold day in a hot place before they get my help. Luckily my bugout location isn't here so, feed them fish!!

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
I like hooking up a neighbor with a bit of power. I let them know when the generator will be on or off. If it suddenly goes out I've got an extra set of eyes to make sure it's not being stolen. And now they have a vested interest in doing a gas run instead of me. But my neighbor may be a lot closer than yours.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
7,165 Posts
I am a *** farm kid, who has grown up and is forced to drive down to a urban center for employment. Since the riots last year and our current wonderful booming economy this year, I have a lot of people wanting to be my friend. People who did nothing but berate and belittle me, are know wanting to be my best friend and stop over. Then they act all hurt when I laugh and say no .

MOD EDIT: title changed for better clarity
Eff em.
Reminds me of a bully in HS. I had enough of his BS and slugged him in the mouth.

His two top front teeth fell out! So a few days later he shows up at my lunch table with his two teeth actually plugged back in with some wax or something. Wants to be my freind... Yeah right!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I have been involved in preparing since before I lived out of the house. Pretty much every room mate I ever had knows I was involved in prepping; its pretty hard to hide from people living in the same house.

Most of them thought it was funny, until some power outage or such happened. A couple of them became members of my MAG.

I have had two separate people I haven't talked to in ages contact me during COVID and comment on how maybe I was right all along...

In both cases I laughed it off and dodged efforts to establish closer contact ("So, you still at the same ole place?")

Reactions: georgeg

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I have a 44 mile commute each way so I am quite a distance out in the sticks. Most of my coworkers live in the bars, one their third or fourth wife, and multiple drunk driving. Most of never saved a penny in their Iives. Since I don't hang out in bars and eat out for every meal of the day, I am not one of the crowd and am glad about that.

I just have no sympathy for anyone who blows every penny they can make and when times get tough they look to take advantage of people who don't live paycheck to paycheck. I know good people fall on hard times and have no problem giving them hand to get back on their feet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Love your neighbor as yourself, and love your enemy. Those who don’t, well, maybe He will tell you “don’t try to be MY friend. I. Never. Knew. You.” See how much your peeps are worth then.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Love your neighbor as yourself, and love your enemy. Those who don’t, well, maybe He will tell you “don’t try to be MY friend. I. Never. Knew. You.” See how much your peeps are worth then.
While this all virtuous and all, the reality is those people will kill your family. Where to draw the line? Pretty sure He won't want you to kill your family for those who won't prepare.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Just my Opinion but watch the Twilight Zone episode "The Shelter" (Link below)... There is such a thing as being Paranoid, However Desperate People will do Desperate things beyond imagination, which is why OPSEC in prepping is so important. As an aside if you have people who know that you have supplies / food etc and prep it's not a bad Idea to put on your best poker face and casually mention that you have poisoned some of the food in ways that can't be detected in case someone decides to take what is yours... Don't make a big deal of it and don't elaborate, but if people believe it they will think twice about messing with you.

Lots of other subtle ways you can make people question the risk of trying to use you involuntarily as a bug out location, and if you have let people know things they shouldn't do your own PsyOp to reverse the situation / minimize the damage like mentioning over time that you've had to use your supplies and slowly paint a picture that you don't have anything of value, but just remember you need to look and act the part, then slowly distance yourself.
Its a heck of a lot easier:...

Acquaintance(s) shows up: "Hey there remember me/us, can I/we come in?"

Us: No.

Acquaintance(s) shows up: "Hey there remember me/us, can I/we have some X,Y and or Z"

Acquaintance(s) shows up: "Hey there remember me/us, can I/we stay with you?"

AND ALL KINDS OF OTHER ITERATIONS...

===

Friends show up, and are treated as trusted family. Such is reciprocated...
No reason to over-complicate anything. Spreading a rumor that you "poison" some of your food? Why the heck in tarnation would you be talking to those folks in the first place??

In the second place, see my post above. It's not rocket surgery.

Reactions: Jojo

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I have a 44 mile commute each way so I am quite a distance out in the sticks. Most of my coworkers live in the bars, one their third or fourth wife, and multiple drunk driving. Most of never saved a penny in their Iives. Since I don't hang out in bars and eat out for every meal of the day, I am not one of the crowd and am glad about that.

I just have no sympathy for anyone who blows every penny they can make and when times get tough they look to take advantage of people who don't live paycheck to paycheck. I know good people fall on hard times and have no problem giving them hand to get back on their feet.
When I went to work (factory)in the city it was quite the culture shock. I was friendly but never tried to establish relationships.

What surprised me most was the fact that most of the black guys didn’t drive or own a car even though they were making good money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I just look at the so-called friends who say, "If anything bad happens, I'm coming to your house." I laugh and say, "It'll be empty and everything will be gone. I won't be there." They get upset and ask, "You wouldn't help me?" I just say, "Help yourself first; it's easy if you're smart about it."

I'm slow to accept people as a "friend". While I have so good ones, the number is low. Most seem to be takers rather than a give-and-take type which are what, IMO, make a true friend. They're willing to help you and like when you can help them. What can I say. Although I try not to judge people, truthfully I fail at it a lot.

16,410 Posts
I just look at the so-called friends who say, "If anything bad happens, I'm coming to your house." I laugh and say, "It'll be empty and everything will be gone. I won't be there." They get upset and ask, "You wouldn't help me?" I just say, "Help yourself first; it's easy if you're smart about it."

I'm slow to accept people as a "friend". While I have so good ones, the number is low. Most seem to be takers rather than a give-and-take type which are what, IMO, make a true friend. They're willing to help you and like when you can help them. What can I say. Although I try not to judge people, truthfully I fail at it a lot.
I'm a big believer in friendship, but I have few friends.

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
For 15 yrs I talked to maybe 2 people on my block. It wasn't that nobody wanted to, just didn't really need to, everyone is busy. Since the pandemic, with all the people walking for exercise, everyone waves back, smiles and even sometimes stop and chat for a bit. They don't know anything I don't tell them, so its pretty much just people being friendly.
I'm at this house for 35 years, I know the owner of the house next door, I don't know the tenants at all. New neighbor across the street 5 years ago, still have not spoken to him. I have seen him maybe 6 times and could not pick him out of a line up if I had to. I nod to various people as they go by.

I really have 4 families on the block I consider to be friends and my block is a mile long. I'm probably known as that crazy old guy with the tattoos and loud cars. I tend to keep to myself, I'd say that only 1 family out of the 4 mentioned know I think ahead, he also does.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What were these people berating and belittling you about?
. If family my suggestion they buy a little extra of long term stored stuff. for Christmas I gave each family a tote. Inside 6 pack of water, hand powered flashlight, gloves, spam, few dried mixes, package of TP some info on things to add. Brother and his wife laughed. Last week texted we can’t visit unless we prove we are vaccinated. Ending with. “COVID will start picking you off before then”. (Referring to springtime)
my sis did a little, learned a little extra does not last long. Prices only go up (almost always) buying 3x when on good sale reduces your cost @50%. I buy 8oz cheese under $1.70. Lowest has been $1.33 shredded. It’s normally $2.80. grapes under $1 lb. next week $1.98. Cereal $2 week later $3.50
everything except grapes keeps for 6 months easy. (I freeze cheese)

Oh yeah I'm not letting that pervert into my life. One time he was bragging to me about a sugar baby arrangement he had with a waitress 1/3 his age. Could have been his grandkid. Bragged about forcing her to do sex acts she hated because she "had" to pay the rent. I said I wouldn't want to have sex with someone who wasn't into it, he said that made it MORE fun for him. [puke] That taught me all I needed to know about his character. He is also the type to feed his dog something the dog hates just because someone said it was "good" for him. He fed something like Alpo when watching another dog (fed the other dog's food to them both) and his poor dog loved it, but after the other dog left back to the ick brand, and it was not cheap. Poor thing would have loved some Old Roy bacon flavor...

No I am very careful who I let in my life. There are 2 men, both married, who help me out with rides, if I help anyone it's going to be them.
I hope you got a shotgun, better yet a pistol you can have on you.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,550 Posts
I hope you got a shotgun, better yet a pistol you can have on you.
I am mentally ill with a history of suicidal depressions so no gun. I do have a hatchet, some pepper spray, and a stun gun.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Sorry I disappeared I was busy.

I don't fit in since I don't live in a bar and hang out with them. Since I hunt, fish, brew my own beer, and don't eat meals out of a box. They think I am less cultured then they are. Basically an educated hick surrounded by lazy people who have never saved a dime.

You throw in a couple small protests, food prices going through the roof, and bare shelves. Then the hick who lives 40 plus miles away is someone is now someone they want as a friend. They haven't changed, I am not going to change so when the last guy who said if there are riots again this summer I am coming over to your place. I simply hugged him, and when I got a funny look, I told him so I know how big to dig the hole. By the way bring everything of value you have

41 - 60 of 78 Posts