Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,322 Posts
^^^^ Wish I could give it a thousand likes.

Hicks aren't supposed to be....intelligent! Nor degreed!

It's a sad fact that the so-called educated and cosmopolitan are often the ones with the narrowest mindsets and skillsets.

I haven't noticed many people who denigrate me suddenly wanting to suck up and be friends. But then again, I'm mostly reclusive so I don't have just scads of friends and associates. At one time I did, but that was years ago, and they have long since disappeared.

I can understand how it must be frustrating, though.

·
Indefatigable
21,543 Posts
Actually my social circle has gotten a lot smaller since covid. At our age they come in 2 types - those still working in the medical profession and those who are high risk. Not a good idea to be mixing them, even at this stage. We are very friendly to the neighbors but they are clueless about any preps and we plan to keep it that way. I made one new FB friend recently who lives in Tulsa and while he never out-right admits it during FB posts, seems to be a prepper. He keeps encouraging me to drop by his business to say hello in person and I actually need someone like him for a home repair, so I think we will meet soon.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
LOL....I work with attorneys, what a seriously shallow slice of humanity. Actually motivates me to get actual work and projects spun up and operational. As long as thier props are covered.....and such tremendous, totally unsubstantiated egos. Like a kids baloon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
^^^^ Wish I could give it a thousand likes.

Hicks aren't supposed to be....intelligent! Nor degreed!

It's a sad fact that the so-called educated and cosmopolitan are often the ones with the narrowest mindsets and skillsets.

I haven't noticed many people who denigrate me suddenly wanting to suck up and be friends. But then again, I'm mostly reclusive so I don't have just scads of friends and associates. At one time I did, but that was years ago, and they have long since disappeared.

I can understand how it must be frustrating, though.
I am a *** farm kid, who has grown up and is forced to drive down to a urban center for employment. Since the riots last year and our current wonderful booming economy this year, I have a lot of people wanting to be my friend. People who did nothing but berate and belittle me, are know wanting to be my best friend and stop over. Then they act all hurt when I laugh and say no .

MOD EDIT: title changed for better clarity
Quite frankly....No. In fact, far too many make me feel as if I'm a pariah since our interests often are not parallel / in-line with theirs.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My oldest son's wife did the"if anything ever happens....." as he cringed next to her. I smiled and said "as long as you bring #50 of rice per head and every scrap of food you have....." Actually, I would the 2.5 of them to show up. Definite assets. Especially with food. My sister in law and her brood.....never. Even if by miracle, they brought anything besides thier usual four empty bellies.
im with you on that. after hurricane sandy my bestie s sister in law who is an attorney said to me if this happens again im heading to your house. i said to her if you show up at my house, the only question im going to ask you is why didnt you prepare? she was sort of shocked, but went out and bought a month s worth of food. for her, it s a start...

16,410 Posts
Earlier this summer, the power went out in my neighborhood about 2100 hours. Of course, my generator provided what we required.

As usual, I checked the doors and windows, and then left the house with my EDC items that include a Glock and extra mags on hip, cell phone, and a bright LED flashlight in hand with fresh batteries...locked the door behind me...and walked down the sidewalk a few houses down. The logic for doing such, that if there are faces outside, it acts as a proactive deterrent to criminal activity for the entire neighborhood, which in turn, protects my house.

Lo and behold, the single 70ish "lady" from New York City, who has loudly and repeatedly berated me publicly for both being an NRA member and carrying a firearm, is standing inside her storm door and sees me, holding her cheap plastic, 50 lumen (at best) flashlight from Dollar Tree. Care to guess who instantly wants to become my new friend?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Earlier this summer, the power went out in my neighborhood about 2100 hours. Of course, my generator provided what we required.

As usual, I checked the doors and windows, and then left the house with my EDC items that include a Glock and extra mags on hip, cell phone, and a bright LED flashlight in hand with fresh batteries...locked the door behind me...and walked down the sidewalk a few houses down. The logic for doing such, that if there are faces outside, it acts as a proactive deterrent to criminal activity for the entire neighborhood, which in turn, protects my house.

Lo and behold, the single 70ish "lady" from New York City, who has loudly and repeatedly berated me publicly for both being an NRA member and carrying a firearm, is standing inside her storm door and sees me, holding her cheap plastic, 50 lumen (at best) flashlight from Dollar Tree. Care to guess who instantly wants to become my new friend?
We don't have the crime but lost power last winter for about 4 days. We had a generator and did quite well. Won the wife over big time (now a larger Genny). Neighbors were asking (then) about the set up. They still haven't done anything, and I even offered to sell my smaller setup. Not a peep, they had the generac people in, but I believe they discovered how expensive that is. I've since sold the small setup so if they come knocking they are sol. And I told the wife it will be a cold day in a hot place before they get my help. Luckily my bugout location isn't here so, feed them fish!!

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
5,655 Posts
I am a *** farm kid, who has grown up and is forced to drive down to a urban center for employment. Since the riots last year and our current wonderful booming economy this year, I have a lot of people wanting to be my friend. People who did nothing but berate and belittle me, are know wanting to be my best friend and stop over. Then they act all hurt when I laugh and say no .

MOD EDIT: title changed for better clarity
Stay the course Bro! Tell them to kiss your ass in Macy's window and give em 4 hours to draw a crowd!

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,655 Posts
I believe in helping people.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life! (y)
To a point I do but as soon as I see that it's no longer appreciated but expected is when I stop immediately!

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,655 Posts
I worked with many big city types who believed that their world view magically made them smarter and better looking. Once the job required them to actually produce something, they struggled.

At times I would hear some pretty caustic comments about my lifestyle preferences, since everyone figgures out I really am a Hick. I am a Hick with an engineering degree, and decades of getting work done (designed and built missiles at a US Navy Base), and I raised livestock and had a machine shop at home.

I dont remember anyone suddenly changing their opinions about my rural lifestyle. Those that will not listen, must feel.
BINGO! And feel, they will! You've done well! Be proud and carry on!

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,655 Posts
After the accident one person in particular helped us out with rides. In return we shared our faith with him and tried to get him to think about prepping. I mean the accident was the perfect example: out of the clear blue sky in ICU no income, how am I going to make it? He was very resistant and used to say things like "If I have food in the house I will eat it, it is 'better' to go to Denny's 3x a day and try to get the waitresses into bed (some did)." After natural disasters he would be eating ketchup packets out of the cupboard until the roads/restaurant re opened again. This happened again and again he wouldn't hear it.

After the accident he made the comment "I want a woman who will love me the way you love Ron". I found it flattering until he started to make advances. My husband just said "He has good taste" and of course I shot him down.

What did it for us was his increasingly poor driving. One time he took us out and after the day was over said "Oh by the way my brake and steering lines are leaking so bad I had to sign a waiver to take it back from my mechanic." And he drove us around in that all day. So we were done.

One thing my husband told him was "Don't come to our house in a disaster we have a shotgun [lie] and will use it, you have had your chance to get ready". He said OK not to worry "The Army had taught him to live off the land". He is almost 80, in very poor health, he won't make it a week.

He knows Ron died and has left me alone but I expect he will try to show up if things get really bad. "Oh Heather needs a man and my dog will be a big help" NO THANKS. And I will make that VERY clear.
Stand your ground because the dividends later will pay greatly!

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,549 Posts
Oh yeah I'm not letting that pervert into my life. One time he was bragging to me about a sugar baby arrangement he had with a waitress 1/3 his age. Could have been his grandkid. Bragged about forcing her to do sex acts she hated because she "had" to pay the rent. I said I wouldn't want to have sex with someone who wasn't into it, he said that made it MORE fun for him. [puke] That taught me all I needed to know about his character. He is also the type to feed his dog something the dog hates just because someone said it was "good" for him. He fed something like Alpo when watching another dog (fed the other dog's food to them both) and his poor dog loved it, but after the other dog left back to the ick brand, and it was not cheap. Poor thing would have loved some Old Roy bacon flavor...

No I am very careful who I let in my life. There are 2 men, both married, who help me out with rides, if I help anyone it's going to be them.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I have no friends just acquaintances.

What’s you commute? My record was 48 miles one way, wife is doing 45 now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just my Opinion but watch the Twilight Zone episode "The Shelter" (Link below)... There is such a thing as being Paranoid, However Desperate People will do Desperate things beyond imagination, which is why OPSEC in prepping is so important. As an aside if you have people who know that you have supplies / food etc and prep it's not a bad Idea to put on your best poker face and casually mention that you have poisoned some of the food in ways that can't be detected in case someone decides to take what is yours... Don't make a big deal of it and don't elaborate, but if people believe it they will think twice about messing with you.

Lots of other subtle ways you can make people question the risk of trying to use you involuntarily as a bug out location, and if you have let people know things they shouldn't do your own PsyOp to reverse the situation / minimize the damage like mentioning over time that you've had to use your supplies and slowly paint a picture that you don't have anything of value, but just remember you need to look and act the part, then slowly distance yourself.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts