Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am a ******* farm kid, who has grown up and is forced to drive down to a urban center for employment. Since the riots last year and our current wonderful booming economy this year, I have a lot of people wanting to be my friend. People who did nothing but berate and belittle me, are know wanting to be my best friend and stop over. Then they act all hurt when I laugh and say no .

MOD EDIT: title changed for better clarity

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Are you trying to say more and more people are wanting to use your knowledge, location, etc. in case of SHTF?

if so, yes. you wouldn't believe how often people who turned up their nose at my living in the country, hunting, gardening, prepping, etc. are now popping up saying, "if anything happens, I'm coming to your place" or " you've got extra guns and ammo, i'm not worried, you'll have one for me".

I just give a laugh and don't really answer them. because, they're delusional.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is easy to be suspicious of people trying to be friendly. But don't be the guy that doesn't show a little courtesy back simply because you think someone is always out to get you. Too many people these days are reserved, in a hurry or on their devices to even sometimes acknowledge others. I find it refreshing when other humans actually want to engage from time to time...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is easy to be suspicious of people trying to be friendly. But don't be the guy that doesn't show a little courtesy back simply because you think someone is always out to get you. Too many people these days are reserved, in a hurry or on their devices to even sometimes acknowledge others. I find it refreshing when other humans actually want to engage from time to time...

You are true about treating people with respect and I try to be respectful to people. My problem is when the people are extreme jerks to you for 15 to 25 years and now they want to be your friend.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts
I am a *** farm kid, who has grown up and is forced to drive down to a urban center for employment. Since the riots last year and our current wonderful booming economy this year, I have a lot of people wanting to be my friend. People who did nothing but berate and belittle me, are know wanting to be my best friend and stop over. Then they act all hurt when I laugh and say no .

MOD EDIT: title changed for better clarity
The above isn't prevalent in my life (at this point) but I have a feeling that when we approach a real SHTF situation that several of my coworkers (past and present) will want to be my best buddy when food becomes scarce. Preppers will become really popular all of a sudden.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The above isn't prevalent in my life (at this point) but I have a feeling that when we approach a real SHTF situation that several of my coworkers (past and present) will want to be my best buddy when food becomes scarce. Preppers will become really popular all of a sudden.
Preppers are already popular just look at all the Youtube videos and the msm TV Shows, i think they are a lot more people prepping these days then most realize ;) it's become big business for some and have even seen Realtors pushing rural homes as good B/O places or possible self sufficient Homesteads, Since the Plandemic our County has blown up with new owners mostly from the DC area since it's only a three hour drive away, they are mostly weekenders but they are buying for a place to escape to if and when TSHTF, with all the work from home now some are moving in full time, Not long ago i had two stop and ask me to sell them firewood, i am not sure who is telling people that i sell firewood but it's been a half dozen people or so this year that think i do, we used to sell firewood but it's been 15 years or so since we did and we mostly sold to the mulch plant. True story: some years ago i had a couple out of DC contact me about removing some trees, during negotiations i asked what size/length they needed for firewood and they said they didn't want any firewood, i removed about 5 cord of mostly oak, i charged them to fell, cut up and haul the wood away, 2 months later they called me and wanted to buy Firewood lol, the next time they hired me to remove Trees they did gave me a length lol and kept the wood and bought a Maul to split it, right before Winter they called me and wanted to hire me to split the wood and i did lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
OP why do you think these people all of a sudden want to be friends? could it be they just matured? I met a person some years ago maybe 20 couple years ago, we did not get along at all, i even said to his face.. i just don't like you period but as time went on and since we did have a mutual friend we ended up getting along and we did become friends, some years later i actually hired him to work for me and he was probably the best worker i have ever had, after work one day he said do you remember when we first met and i said sure do, we laughed about that day and admitted we were both so wrong about the other! I usually don't go against my gut feelings on people but in this case i am glad i did, i gained a good friend and a great employee, he is now a friend that if i needed him i could call and he would be here within the hour and vice versa, since he moved about 40 miles away we don't see much of each other but still talk every month and Visit when possible.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am very fortunate. I can’t say anyone I know is mean to me. I am retired, and no longer in the workplace, so that has a lot to do with it. I live in a neighborhood, where most people are older than me. They are wonderful people and don’t bother anyone.

I have an in-law that is a drama queen and likes to stir the pot, but I only see her briefly, maybe once a year, for a holiday. She’s intimidated by me, so I don’t have any problems with her. Like everyone else, I encounter the occasional jerk, in traffic or see someone acting like a fool, in a store, but I don’t actually know those individuals.

I’m very secretive about preps. It would be very difficult, for someone to figure that out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
"A friend in need is a friend indeed"
Ben Franklin

It doesn't mean you help them tho.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
For 15 yrs I talked to maybe 2 people on my block. It wasn't that nobody wanted to, just didn't really need to, everyone is busy. Since the pandemic, with all the people walking for exercise, everyone waves back, smiles and even sometimes stop and chat for a bit. They don't know anything I don't tell them, so its pretty much just people being friendly.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
There is only one family who lives a considerable distance, but faced with coastal storms that can be pretty brutal they know they have a place with us if they need it. They would bring knowledge and experience to the table, besides being hardworking nice people.

When it's been talked about I've said that they can 'escape' to us at any time and it can be a call from the road or a knock on the door. They don't know the extent of our preps, but since they have stayed weekends in our home, they have seen the edges that can't be hidden. It's hard to hide a floor safe that's in a corner of the family room, but out of sight of the casual visitor.

Are you trying to say more and more people are wanting to use your knowledge, location, etc. in case of SHTF?

if so, yes. you wouldn't believe how often people who turned up their nose at my living in the country, hunting, gardening, prepping, etc. are now popping up saying, "if anything happens, I'm coming to your place" or " you've got extra guns and ammo, i'm not worried, you'll have one for me".

I just give a laugh and don't really answer them. because, they're delusional.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,549 Posts
After the accident one person in particular helped us out with rides. In return we shared our faith with him and tried to get him to think about prepping. I mean the accident was the perfect example: out of the clear blue sky in ICU no income, how am I going to make it? He was very resistant and used to say things like "If I have food in the house I will eat it, it is 'better' to go to Denny's 3x a day and try to get the waitresses into bed (some did)." After natural disasters he would be eating ketchup packets out of the cupboard until the roads/restaurant re opened again. This happened again and again he wouldn't hear it.

After the accident he made the comment "I want a woman who will love me the way you love Ron". I found it flattering until he started to make advances. My husband just said "He has good taste" and of course I shot him down.

What did it for us was his increasingly poor driving. One time he took us out and after the day was over said "Oh by the way my brake and steering lines are leaking so bad I had to sign a waiver to take it back from my mechanic." And he drove us around in that all day. So we were done.

One thing my husband told him was "Don't come to our house in a disaster we have a shotgun [lie] and will use it, you have had your chance to get ready". He said OK not to worry "The Army had taught him to live off the land". He is almost 80, in very poor health, he won't make it a week.

He knows Ron died and has left me alone but I expect he will try to show up if things get really bad. "Oh Heather needs a man and my dog will be a big help" NO THANKS. And I will make that VERY clear.

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Have you ever been tested for schizophrenia? I have several family members with mild to wild cases. One of the reoccurring themes with them is people are out to get them, talking about them behind their backs, and if being nice are only trying to trick them. To them it is very real.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
My oldest son's wife did the"if anything ever happens....." as he cringed next to her. I smiled and said "as long as you bring #50 of rice per head and every scrap of food you have....." Actually, I would the 2.5 of them to show up. Definite assets. Especially with food. My sister in law and her brood.....never. Even if by miracle, they brought anything besides thier usual four empty bellies.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,657 Posts
I worked with many big city types who believed that their world view magically made them smarter and better looking. Once the job required them to actually produce something, they struggled.

At times I would hear some pretty caustic comments about my lifestyle preferences, since everyone figgures out I really am a Hick. I am a Hick with an engineering degree, and decades of getting work done (designed and built missiles at a US Navy Base), and I raised livestock and had a machine shop at home.

I dont remember anyone suddenly changing their opinions about my rural lifestyle. Those that will not listen, must feel.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts