Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a college student who is into adventure and travel. I think it would be a lot of fun to hike the pacific crest trail, not part of it but the whole thing in one trip. Has anyone here done this?? I am guessing that it would take about 115 days. But the supplies needed could provide a problem. I have little information and any would help.
Thanks all,
Mr. Jones :whip:

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
Mr. Jones, I've only hiked parts of it when I lived in so.California. But a friend of mine did. It was QUITE an undertaking! It took him 6 months. He started out near Campo,CA.
And he averaged about 17 miles a day. Depending upon weather, it could even take longer. (not including time off to rest).
It's too late in the season now to do it. You would have had to leave by the end of April, from the south end of the trail, to make it feasible.

Your main obstacle would be heavy snow in Oregon and WA. during the fall. In all likely hood, you'd not make it to the termination of the trail in WA state. It's 2,650 miles long.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
There is a website that gives alot of information on hiking the trail. Can't remember the name, though. You might try searching for it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Mr. Jones, I've only hiked parts of it when I lived in so.California. But a friend of mine did. It was QUITE an undertaking! It took him 6 months. He started out near Campo,CA.
And he averaged about 17 miles a day. Depending upon weather, it could even take longer. (not including time off to rest).
It's too late in the season now to do it. You would have had to leave by the end of April, from the south end of the trail, to make it feasible.

Your main obstacle would be heavy snow in Oregon and WA. during the fall. In all likely hood, you'd not make it to the termination of the trail in WA state. It's 2,650 miles long.
This year we still have skiing going and several of the ski resorts expect to be open till the 4th of July. 240" at Crystal Mt. today. We are going into a 25 year cold cycle and the trail will be snowed in much of the year and your best chances will be during the late summer.

As for supplies most people pick towns to pop out on and either resupply at stores and/or have supplies sent to them selves at Post Offices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a bunch all. the info was very helpful. this trip will deff take a lot more planing before i could ever take it. but it prob will make it on my bucket list.

·
Super Moderator
14,976 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Was up scouting campsites and evac places on sunday and ran into 3 college kids (20 yr olds). It was a quick conversation but they mentioned 150 days. Also parts of the PCT around Mt. Mckinley are still snow covered so alot of hikers are piling up around kenedy meadows waiting it out (they just lost a hiker about 2 weeks ago by falling off a snow covered part) but then they are strapped for time when they hit Washington in October.

BTW if you plan it and I still live here shoot me a PM. I'll meet you up at the kennedy meadows crossing (only 30 miles away) and bring you some supllies from town not the general store that has pretty inflated prices (but then again it's the only store for 45 miles)

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
I think being a college student getting the time off will be the hard part. I think trying to break the trail into smaller manageable (month long) chunks may work better for you. If you manage to get the time off good luck and have fun.

website
http://www.pcta.org/

T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts