Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
As in 'first hand' I assume you mean walking into them?

I haven't had a 'run in' with looters, but there was plenty of looter activity during hurricanes katrina, Ike, and Gustav. What was the debate about? If you specify, I'm sure those with first hand knowledge will be able to help you out a bit more.

Here's a good interview that talks about crime during an economic collapse in general. It touches a bit upon looters. Though it's an hour long you'll find it very useful.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
Gee. I never had any jobs where my employer was willing to pay me to amuse myself on the internet, instead of doing the job I was being paid to do. Does your company have any job openings?? I think I could do this. LOL

In answer to your question......yes, I have personal experience with looters and raiders. I (and my young children) came within an eyeblink of being killed.

NO, I do not care to discuss it with you and your co-workers for entertainment.

·
Firefighter 129
336 Posts
My grocery store was robbed many times. But looted no. I am thankful too. There are a lot of people here that are retired. I think we are pretty prepared if it does roll like that here. Our fire department is good about making sure we are trained to handle mass situations.

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
In answer to your question......yes, I have personal experience with looters and raiders. I (and my young children) came within an eyeblink of being killed.

Then why bring it up? What makes you think the OP was interested in "entertainment"? He is trying to settle a discussion and learn something in the process.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but you don't have to be rude about it.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Some guys ripped the copper out of my moms old home. Completely destroyed it.

They were caught but the police even screwed that up. A lot of nothing happened to them.

Criminals self justify why they do what they do.

A home empty, is "abandoned" thus ripe for the picking.

Never mind the person who worked 30 years to pay for it.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As in 'first hand' I assume you mean walking into them?

I haven't had a 'run in' with looters, but there was plenty of looter activity during hurricanes katrina, Ike, and Gustav. What was the debate about? If you specify, I'm sure those with first hand knowledge will be able to help you out a bit more.

Debate was about (my position) looters have to be a factor in any survival situation/disaster (their position) looting doesn't occur and the media overplays it when it on rare occassions happens.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gee. I never had any jobs where my employer was willing to pay me to amuse myself on the internet, instead of doing the job I was being paid to do. Does your company have any job openings?? I think I could do this. LOL

You assume we were discussing this on company time instead of lunch time. If you do not care to discuss why waste everyones time responding lol.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She wants you to get back to work.
I am fortunate that my company allows us to work from home everyday and remote into the servers and workstations. I knew the issue was coming up so I stopped by the office to participate in person, other than that I have my office in my home and I work from there everyday.

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
Yes I have. Not as a civilian, but as a National Guardsman. Generally, they were petty criminals just trying to take advantage of the situation. None of the ones I came in contact with were violent, and all gave up very quickly. They all had a story to tell while sitting on the curb wearing flex cuffs, waiting for local LEO's to swing by and do the paperwork and take them away.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
Then why bring it up? What makes you think the OP was interested in "entertainment"? He is trying to settle a discussion and learn something in the process.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but you don't have to be rude about it.

I didn't "bring the subject up". The OP did. So, please direct your criticism where it belongs.

No one "learns" about looting or raiders by reading about those events on a message board. You LEARN the hard way by actually experiencing it for yourself. Which I sincerely hope never happens to anyone else.

Why did I respond?? Because there are far too many of these posts on this board from people who want to entertain themselves by reading about tragedies that have happened to others. Life isn't a book or a movie. And, what is rude and insulting is expecting someone else to detail their bad experiences.

There are good reasons "why" military vets, or others who have had horrific life experiences, DO NOT want to discuss what happened to them. But that is largely ignored on this board by some people who think their curiosity takes precedence over basic consideration for others.

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Yes I have. Not as a civilian, but as a National Guardsman. Generally, they were petty criminals just trying to take advantage of the situation. None of the ones I came in contact with were violent, and all gave up very quickly. They all had a story to tell while sitting on the curb wearing flex cuffs, waiting for local LEO's to swing by and do the paperwork and take them away.
Thank you for reporting your first hand experience. The looters were pretty much what I'd expected; small time criminals with a built in excuse replayed to arresting officers so many times it's on speed dial in their minds.

As a semi-pro newspaper photographer I was once in on an arrest of a similar person. Fleeing the scene of his armed robbery the crook was running up a hill when he stopped to take a pot shot with his small caliber handgun at pursuing officers, big mistake.

Responding officers replying with .38 caliber handguns hit him in the foot. All the way to the ambulance the crook was whining about being hungry and asking arresting officers "Ain't you never been hungry?" This from a crook on a gurney wearing a $300 three piece suit and wearing genuine alligator shoes! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I have first hand experience in this area. It is still very difficult for me to discuss, even with my husband.

I think what you need to know is this: the media tends to feed into its audience's expectations. When I lived in Florida, looting was greatly *under* reported in my experience. Disney and other large employers in the area have enormous influence with the media. They don't want bad publicity that would affect tourism.

Looting is awful beyond words, but it is a reality. Prepare for it as best you can.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have a good 4 battery mag light. I know of one person who shone it at "about to be looters" and they left. I'm sure it doesn't work with all potential looters but it did with them.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts

I didn't "bring the subject up". The OP did. So, please direct your criticism where it belongs.

No one "learns" about looting or raiders by reading about those events on a message board. You LEARN the hard way by actually experiencing it for yourself. Which I sincerely hope never happens to anyone else.

Why did I respond?? Because there are far too many of these posts on this board from people who want to entertain themselves by reading about tragedies that have happened to others. Life isn't a book or a movie. And, what is rude and insulting is expecting someone else to detail their bad experiences.

There are good reasons "why" military vets, or others who have had horrific life experiences, DO NOT want to discuss what happened to them. But that is largely ignored on this board by some people who think their curiosity takes precedence over basic consideration for others.
First, the OP may have asked, but saying "I have but I'm not going to tell you" does little but derail the topic.

Second, plenty is learned by people sharing experiences. The whole point of Survivalist Boards is for people to share experiences and knowledge. You can't prepare if you don't know what to expect.

Third, people aren't asking because they like the thrill of hearing someones pain. They want to know to have that knowledge. Many vets don't talk about their experiences, but many do. Everyone handles pain differently. From the way you're responding, it sounds like you're still carrying a lot of the pain over this incident. Perhaps you should consider talking to a professional about that.

·
Is that all?
811 Posts
I didn't witness it first hand, but about 2 years ago, some a**hole methed out losers broke into the fire station I worked at. Since we were wildland firefighters, we were gone 14-21 days at a time. They stole literally everything, MREs, pulaskis, chainsaws, pumps, our personal stuff such as laptops, Ipods, and even old nasty PT gear. They then proceeded to destroy the wall of souvenirs we had spent 5 fire seasons collecting from various fires. Then, they pulled our personal stuff out of lockers, and urinated all over it. To top it off, they unlocked, or broke windows on 4 or 5 personal vehicles, and crashed a few, and stole 2. Fortunately, they were all caught, and the "ringleader" got 8 years. The community was awesome, the local structural department held a fundraiser, and made enough to get all of us a couple hundred dollars a piece to replace lost stuff. Lots of people might steal out of necessity, or convenience, but I think it definitely is a different breed that will very openly, boldly, and even violently go about getting what they think they can take. I have very little trouble believing that some people are animals, and all it takes it is a percieved relaxing of the rules for them to go all out.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Our local Gun club was broken into about 10 years ago, looted, vandalized, and then set ablaze.

They didn't get too much worth of anything,, maybe some bottles of booze, but no money or anything else of value. We lost our clubhouse, and it took us about 5 years to completly rebuild it.

They purposely burned the our American Flag.

They were never caught, although we believe it was just neighborhood kids causing trouble.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts