Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Amat victoria curam
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_17_69&products_id=143

Recently I was updating some of my lesser thought of supplies , chemicals and such to have on hand for various reasons. (And to satisfy my scientific curiosity, as I like to tinker in spare time) and came across the above.

With planting, growning season upon us I thought about picking up some and doing a controlled grow on a few different types of vegs and fruits to see if it's worth anything and for something fun for kids to learn from.

Anyone used this or have first hand knowledge?

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
It's a plant hormone that causes growth. The only way I've seen it used was in the classroom where we put it on the tip of a seedling and watched it grow itself to death! It caused such rapid growth that the plant couldn't produce enough food to keep it up.

·
statists' be statin'
3,441 Posts
I have not used it. But I do grow several varieties of grapes. Gibberrellic acid is produced by the seed of grapes. Seedless grapes therefore do not get as big as other types of grapes. Commercial growers of seedless grapes spray the stuff on grapes to make them big an plump.

I just get small grapes but the taste fine.

·
Amat victoria curam
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I'd assume that it's considered safe (in the fda sense for human consumption ) after thinking about it I was thinking do to rapid growth it could be useful during non typical growing seasons(winter) indoors or in small green house. Or to jumpstart food plots in times of disaster. Or am I way off base with how it works.

·
statists' be statin'
3,441 Posts
I don't really know exactly what it's mechanism is. It does not shorten the growing season. All I know it does is make grapes bigger.

There are lots of growth regulators that increase or decrease some part of a plant's growth. Ethephon is probably the most often used. It makes things ripen more quickly and makes shoots on grains and woody plants grow longer....and probably lots of other things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't experimented with it since college but it did make a few 13ft tall cabbages. In my opinion hormones are not something to play with. Many can cause interspecies problems. I used to feed goats kudzu and then compost the manure to exploit the growth hormones it produces, but 11 of our does developed mastic cysts. SO even though we saw increase yields in most all the crops we experimented with, I ended the project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.