Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy turns out a great little device for a 22.lr shooting to use called Acu,rzr tool ..the little tools cleans up the rimfire nose and makes it into a couple of diff typles of nose styles for useing in diff rimfire weapons.

the guy does not have a computer or telephone number listed ..his mailing address is ..

Paco kelly
PO.box-1170
Cortaro AZ .85652..

the website is www.leverguns .com then take a look at the unit ..also the website .www.gunblast,com also has a review of the units over there on ther website..

here is some pictures of the unit..

Attachments

·
Banned
7,205 Posts
looks and from you all are saying sounds like a great idea worth checking out.

Would be nice to have a proper hollow point.

Copper is alot harder to manipulate that lead.. almost all the .22 lead heads i have have special X's cut in to them to make them behave like the hollow points SHOULD

this might improve my stocks!

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I have the wadcutter setup. It doesn't really increase accuracy enough to notice, on either cheap rounds or premium. It also doesn't seem to have any effect on effectiveness in small game. For the effort, you get a tiny increase in group concentricity. I'll just stick to regular ammo.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
This is meant for accuracy. If you are a determined rimfire enthusiast, this is a great thing to help your groups out.

You get $75 a brick ammunition out of $25 a brick ammunition. I don't own one, but have borrowed one to try it out. It does make things better. However, my 22lr guns are doing pretty good with CCI standard velocity ammunition.

IF you are trying to shoot 100+ yards on a 22lr rifle, then this item will help you out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I use this tool myself for .22. Excellent for squirrel hunting, hit 'em in the neck with the deep hollow point and it'll blow their heads off. Literally.

I can tell a little bit of difference in my group sizes, too, though it's really quite a small difference. My marlin model 60 has an excellent barrel already and if I do my part I can pluck off 12 gauge shotgun shells at 50 yards with fair regularity. Outside of a bench rest, the difference in size is going to be minimal, but I do love the somewhat explosive effects of the shots.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I've shot a bunch of jackrabbits with the wad cutters and they didn't seem to perform as well as a standard hollowpoint. Better than the round nose they were made from, I guess. But I just wasn't impressed.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Improved accuracy in .22lr ranges? You can pick the right ammo for your gun and you will get better improvement than that article said. That article also said that half the ammo they tried (four brands I think it was or four guns whichever) improved very little or not at all....and that the tradeoff in the slightly improved accuracy means far less functionability in semi-autos and mag fed guns.

Factory ammo is shaped the way it is to allow it to perform in the majority of factory guns. That little round nose is there for a reason. Having a large, semi-flat cupped nose that easily deforms on the loading ramp of most guns hurts accuracy more than the swaged bigger bullet helps. That's one thing the article failed to test, though....handloading the bullets into the chamber undamaged vs semi and bolt action loading.

The nasti-nose thingy was kind of interesting, though. Buy a box of the cheapest crap ammo and make it into HP. How long would that take for a box of fifty? Would it be worth say, paying a kid $2 to convert your box of ammo for you? Is there enough of an improvement over simply paying a buck more for better ammo? If all you had was cheapo, crap ammo and your life depended on you being able to drop game with each and every shot, I'd say sure, spend all the time you want on it....but I can simply buy better ammo and use my time for something more worthwhile than converting cheapo into adequate. There's just not enough of a reason nor a gain for me.

My own two cents.

rich

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
I've had several of the tools over the years, from the early model to the current model and have been quite impressed with the performance changes.

Acu-rzr tool. review.

By 'bumping' the bullet diameter up, you generally increase the accuracy in a given load or at least stabilize the accuracy. Many .22 brands and makes have slightly varying diameters and reducing the variation helps accuracy immensely.

Some barrels show little improvement, these are generally either already the same size as the bullets in use or are somewhat larger than the tool can bump up to without increasing the diameter of the tool interior.

The difference can be quite dramatic depending on the intended target.
On sodpoodles (prairie dogs), they can be quite phenomenal, the difference in impact is readily apparent as they are almost slammed backwards when hit.
Granted manually operated weapons are the most reliable, depending on how much you modify the bullet nose.
Nothing I've hit with the nasti-nose has needed a second shot, including a couple of 'yote's shot while out and about.

The Hanned line make a tool some years back called the SGB tool, it made a neat little flatpoint on the nose of standard roundnose ammo increasing effectiveness again quite astoundingly. The meplat increases impact energy by imparting the energy over a wider area.
I was so impressed with this little tool and how well it works that I went and made my own version, unlike Hanned's single 'shot' unit, my brick will do a 50 round box at once.
The CCI SGB (small game bullet) is the same thing and has been very effective in the field and this had been written about before in the gun rags.
Sadly the Hanned company has changed hands and no longer makes the SGB tools.

However Paco has come out with his own version and it's actually better and easier to use than the earlier model.

Not inexpensive but for a hunter it's well worth the time and effort for the rounds used in the field.

As for the time needed to modify them, what's time to a hog?
For general blasting you're not going to use this stuff.
How many rounds do you use while out squirrel/rabbit shooting?
For my use a 50 rounds box lasts quite a while with careful shooting.
I've gone so far as to use the SGB'd and Nastinose .22 bullets when disposing of injured animals in town, the reduced penetration is very helpful to reduce the possibility of over-penetration and the increase in effectiveness is helpful as the animal suffers less.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
By 'bumping' the bullet diameter up, you generally increase the accuracy in a given load or at least stabilize the accuracy. Many .22 brands and makes have slightly varying diameters and reducing the variation helps accuracy immensely.
What I noticed is that I didn't get much of an actual group improvement, but it reduced ammo induced fliers. The fliers are probably caused by inconsistencies in the bullet. I guess you could say my groups didn't get smaller, they got rounder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.