Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Pass the beans, please
127 Posts
There are more Americans feeling uneasy about the future and that = new market = money. Prepping is becoming big business and the smart companies are jumping on board. Walmart, Sams, Costco, Winco, and others are noticing the market for food storage and "prepping" is becoming more mainstream every day.

Personally, I am glad. This should make supplies cheaper to buy and means there will be more folks prepared. That should make life easier for the rest of us!

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,964 Posts
What kind of commercials? I haven't seen any. What channels are you seeing them on?

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
What kind of commercials? I haven't seen any. What channels are you seeing them on?
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...s+commercial&aq=0m&oq=preparedness+commercial

Basic preparedness. Because so many people depend on the government to save them in any kind of situation. And the government can NOT reach everyone.

Don't be the one they missed. Between the natural disasters and being at war with other countries (plural) that have the capacity to reach and damage us..... it would be highly irregular and irresponsible to NOT have warnings to prepare for emergencies.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would have to guess that it's do to all the natural disasters happing, we had a tornado rip through western Ma recently that never happens here the last time was about 100years ago and I was completely unprepared so here I find myself getting advice. Stay safe.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,964 Posts
What I find interesting is that all those people who are so quick to point out record lows in temperature, or record snowfall, the global climate change naysayers, are awfully darned quiet lately.

The number of Al Gore jokes is at an all-time low.

·
Banned
12,043 Posts
Yeah there has been an increase. There is a huge money making opportunity just like in Y2K. Why shouldn't they take advantage of it?

And I'm outta Gore jokes but I'll try to think some up.

·
Banned
2,281 Posts
i've read about this on other forums and have heard about it from friends of mine. but to be honest i have not seen these type of commercials myself. even friends of mine have seen these type of commercials on my tv when i'm not home! i'm starting to think that i'm being singled out and i am not suppossed to see them! kind makes you think.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
i've read about this on other forums and have heard about it from friends of mine. but to be honest i have not seen these type of commercials myself. even friends of mine have seen these type of commercials on my tv when i'm not home! i'm starting to think that i'm being singled out and i am not suppossed to see them! kind makes you think.
It's a conspiracy! You're not supposed to prepare :D:

·
Stop being on my side!
8,536 Posts
I haven't seen the commercials, but I wonder if it's just as simple as emergency management officials realizing that we've reached the point that the average American is just too stupid to do basic, common-sense preps without being told to.

When I was a kid, there wasn't a word for keeping a little extra food, water and other supplies on hand.

There was a word for the kind of person too dumb to do so, though...

·
Registered
798 Posts
In my area there havent been any such commercials. I think it is more for disaster prone areas like CA, tornado alley, or flood areas. The government is throwing out these warnings so when something happens and people go sue happy - they can say "we told you so".

·
Registered
612 Posts
FEMA is getting tired of taking care of peoples sorry asses in emergencies.
"get your own kit, we're busy watching cartoons in the office"
LOL...except, it really isn't funny because it's the sad truth. Government bureaucrats are constantly doing everything they can to avoid doing the job they were hired to do. And then they go to work and continue to be paid for doing nothing.

Office Space is a good example of a government office.

Here is the model government bureaucrat:
http://youtu.be/mGS2tKQhdhY

When job security is at a premium, the federal government remains the place to work for those who want to avoid losing a job. The job security rate for all federal workers was 99.43% last year and nearly 100% for those on the job more than a few years.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-07-18-fderal-job-security_n.htm

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
There is ABSOLUTELY something going on. I work in PR and marketing, primarily consumer product placement and new product introduction. It is very very hard to get SKU (shelf kept unit) space in stores, SKU simply means "shelf space" and in the last 6 months I have seen "emergency kits" in almost every major chain store. Most importantly, I'm usually seeing them on the "ends" of aisles... this is the most prime real estate in stores and typically a manufacturer has to pay a premium for it.

These are NOT product lines put out by the same companies. But it is the same theme... emergency preparedness food and water.

I've worked in PR and marketing for 30 years and I've never seen this happen before. I have no explanation for it. But it is highly unusual to see this on a national consumer product level.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
My wife and I have noticed that there are a lot of commercials of official people telling us to be prepared for disaster. It has just picked up in the last few months. Has anybody else noticed?
I haven't noticed that. But I have noticed that threads talking about it, like this one, have been common ever since I've been on this site, so I think it's something that has been going on for a while and people just become aware if it at different rates or something.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't watch tv but there have been a ton of commercials being run on the radio. Most of them seem to be from federal and local government telling people to be prepared. I have sort of gotten used to them but at first it kind of took me off guard. There are also commercials for selling disaster kits etc, however there have been far more gov commercials run which made me think there was something that I wasn't aware of happening.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
There is ABSOLUTELY something going on. I work in PR and marketing, primarily consumer product placement and new product introduction. It is very very hard to get SKU (shelf kept unit) space in stores, SKU simply means "shelf space" and in the last 6 months I have seen "emergency kits" in almost every major chain store. Most importantly, I'm usually seeing them on the "ends" of aisles... this is the most prime real estate in stores and typically a manufacturer has to pay a premium for it.

These are NOT product lines put out by the same companies. But it is the same theme... emergency preparedness food and water.

I've worked in PR and marketing for 30 years and I've never seen this happen before. I have no explanation for it. But it is highly unusual to see this on a national consumer product level.
The market is also in the aftermath of a bunch of disaster based movies that came out what, a couple years ago or so? They were the hot topics of the time in this forum. Of course with our typical paranoid twist thrown in about how they had to be coming out for a reason because the sky is falling and such.

People always deny that the TV and movies have any effect on them, but the advertising departments know better. It could easily be in reaction to new market niches opened by those movies.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts