Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
19,800 Posts
Is this a trick question?

Half a million died from the Spanish flu a century ago. The President, Wilson, hardly said one thing about it. Today, a fraction died from today's disease and it is non-stop news - mostly hysterical.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Compared to who? The Chinese locked down 600 million over it. Not fake lockdown, but weld you in the house or beat you with a stick if you were out without a mask or on the wrong day lockdown.

The US has had some of the fewest restrictions of any nation. We're high wire walkers laughing at the virus by compared to the chicken**** Chinese. People are gathering everywhere.

At the height of Wuhan, people lowered buckets for food. At the height of NYC the trains were running and GrubHub delivered.

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
19,800 Posts
Compared to who?
Moral relativism rejected! Being strong and brave is an absolute.

If you MUST think in relative terms, strong and brave relative to what the individual (nation) is capable. My dogs are strong and brave but have been sick and less than their NORMAL strength and courage.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,145 Posts
Damnit now I’ve got Charlie Daniels playing in my brain “you just go lay your hand on a Pittsburg steeler fan”

I hate the steelers

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8,917 Posts
See the masks? Next question.
oh so we are weak and sniveling because we wear a mask? I prefer to see it as we are intelligent and do not have the belligerence of a neanderthal. remember what the Bible says "A prudent man sees trouble and prepares for it, but a fool sees trouble and does nothing."

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,155 Posts
I had a look at the Spanish flu, did a thread on it. More people have died from coronavirus.
Where are your numbers coming from? Here's a tip: Don't rely on data from CNN. :D:

Spanish flu

Total worldwide deaths from Spanish flu: "The death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million, making it one of the deadliest pandemics in human history."

How America Struggled to Bury the Dead During the 1918 Flu Pandemic

Total American deaths from Spanish Flu: "As a terrifyingly lethal influenza virus swept across the globe between 1918 and 1920, history’s deadliest pandemic claimed the lives of approximately 50 million people worldwide and 675,000 in the United States. Nearly 200,000 Americans died from the “Spanish Flu” in October 1918 alone, making it the deadliest month in the country’s history."

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE

Total global deaths to date from COVID-19: 291,334

Total USA deaths to date from COVID-19: 82,227

The problem with the Spanish Flu numbers is that no one knows for certain how many died, either in the USA or worldwide. But thus far coronavirus deaths are nowhere near the low end of the Spanish Flu estimate.

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Yep.

Ten characters.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,418 Posts
I have always thought Americans had it nailed down and never saw the nation as soft and largely I still don't but even on here (a forum for people who have it nailed down) there was a fair amount of people getting a freak on over this which was a little surprising and maybe a little disappointing. Maybe America should be more Swedish.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Is this a trick question?

Half a million died from the Spanish flu a century ago. The President, Wilson, hardly said one thing about it. Today, a fracti7on died from today's disease and it is non-stop news - mostly hysterical.
In 1969 there was the Hong Kong virus that killed more than a million people. Even then, in the midst of the hippie era and a raging Vietnam war, you didn't initiate a lockdown, and draconic measures like masks, travel restrictions and emergency laws. You instead arranged the best music festival in the history of mankind; the Woodstock festival!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Yes,
I heard a recent report that trucks are hauling in lunches to kids who are not able to go to school. Families are not even taking responsibility for feeding their young. My wife came from hard times and they managed to hire out as migrant workers picking cotton and other fruit to be able to eat. We are now dependent children, dependent on the government.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8,917 Posts
Yes,
I heard a recent report that trucks are hauling in lunches to kids who are not able to go to school. Families are not even taking responsibility for feeding their young. My wife came from hard times and they managed to hire out as migrant workers picking cotton and other fruit to be able to eat. We are now dependent children, dependent on the government.
I see this more on an individual basis rather than a society as a whole. There are too many people (especially my age) who are still willing to work for what they have. I will take a handout only if it is a last resort and I desperately need whatever it is being given but my pride drives me to work for what I get and use any means necessary (legal and moral of course) to obtain what I am after without seeking a handout. I remember one time I became homeless because at the time jobs were hard to come by in the town I lived in. I did not own a car so I could not travel to bigger cities for work, but instead of begging for food, or trying to get food stamps. I approached a store owner that I knew personally and he let me do odd and end jobs for a daily meal. So I might have only eaten one time a day but I still had my pride intact.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Yes,
They are doing this here too. It boggles the mind and is a sad statement on the condition of our country that so many kids can only eat because of school lunches during what was supposedly a fantastic economy.

You know how nobody believes the disease numbers from China? Thats how I always felt about the unemployment numbers etc from the US even BEFORE this started.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts