Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a lot of research over the past year, We decided that it made great sense to own one. We tried to convince a couple of relatives to go in and split the cost and usage of a standard unit. They did not take us up on our plan, not having any vision or foresight. They believe that the government will take care of them in a emergency. If anything, Katrina proved that to be a fantasy. We are very happy now that my husband and I decided to make it our Christmas present even though we are on a fixed income. It just made too much sense in these uncertain times. And now as a bonus, there are no more wasted leftovers!

We ordered our Harvest Right Freeze Dryer on December 3rd. When it arrived,
We were happy to find out that we had the latest upgrades including the new software.
A smaller diameter hose, and the new pump model were provided. The overall new look is smoother and pleasing without the fasteners on the side. We set it up to Harvest Rights excellent instructions and did the first dry run.

Everything went OK and we started our first batch. After 19 hours, everything was perfectly processed. I do an oil change after each run. The longest batch so far was 22 hours and that was drying sliced peaches. We switched to diced Peaches and we were back at a 19 hour run time. The new upgrades and software are doing a fantastic job! The new pump is surprisingly quiet,
not a bit of interference with our daily routines. Sometimes, I go to the basement just to check if it's still running.

I have not as yet found any water contamination in the drained oil! This was a concern after watching many YouTube videos about the importance of water contamination in the drained oil.

I cannot express how happy we are with our new Harvest Right freeze dryer!
We love the peace of mind it gives us.

Joyce (Stitch)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
After a lot of research over the past year, We decided that it made great sense to own one. We tried to convince a couple of relatives to go in and split the cost and usage of a standard unit. They did not take us up on our plan, not having any vision or foresight. They believe that the government will take care of them in a emergency. If anything, Katrina proved that to be a fantasy. We are very happy now that my husband and I decided to make it our Christmas present even though we are on a fixed income. It just made too much sense in these uncertain times. And now as a bonus, there are no more wasted leftovers!

We ordered our Harvest Right Freeze Dryer on December 3rd. When it arrived,

We were happy to find out that we had the latest upgrades including the new software.

A smaller diameter hose, and the new pump model were provided. The overall new look is smoother and pleasing without the fasteners on the side. We set it up to Harvest Rights excellent instructions and did the first dry run.

Everything went OK and we started our first batch. After 19 hours, everything was perfectly processed. I do an oil change after each run. The longest batch so far was 22 hours and that was drying sliced peaches. We switched to diced Peaches and we were back at a 19 hour run time. The new upgrades and software are doing a fantastic job! The new pump is surprisingly quiet,

not a bit of interference with our daily routines. Sometimes, I go to the basement just to check if it's still running.

I have not as yet found any water contamination in the drained oil! This was a concern after watching many YouTube videos about the importance of water contamination in the drained oil.

I cannot express how happy we are with our new Harvest Right freeze dryer!

We love the peace of mind it gives us.

Joyce (Stitch)
That's awesome! We have been considering one for awhile.
What kind of batch size can they do?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do about 10 lbs. at a time in our standard (medium) size unit.
Running Carrots, Broccoli and Bananas right now. We can everything with our Ives way #200 can sealer in #2.5 cans. I put a 200 size O2 absorber in each dry can.

·
I have control issues
5,992 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm currently saving up for one, so good to hear from someone who has "real world" experience.

What type of oil does it use, and do you HAVE to change it every time you use it, or can you do more than one "run" between oil changes?

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Curious if you are seeing a notable increase in your electric bill?

I might have to ask around here. I believe some friends of ours may have one we could borrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi guys,
We use Robinair premium vacuum oil. We run the used oil through a goldenrod water/oil separator to re use it. It seems elementary since the oil comes out crystal clear after each run. However, an ounce of prevention....

I put a Kill-a-watt meter on the machine and a 19 hour run shows around $2.10 to operate it. We pay $.16 per KWH. We bought ours on a black Friday sale which is the same sale they are running right now.

As far as the initial cost goes, we did the math and after seeing what freeze dried food costs and how much food gets wasted every year, we could easily afford it. It will pay for itself pretty fast.
I can run 48 hamburger patties on a 19 hour run. Compare that to buying a #10 can of freeze dried ones. It cost's me $30 for those 48 patties. 80/20 meat works for me to keep the fat/oil down for easier freeze drying. Some people use 90/10

We use Mylar 7mil bags with O2 absorbers for short term (1-10 years) shelf life food and Use a #200 Ives-Way can seamer with #2.5 cans and O2 packs for long term food. It is really nice! We bought it from Berlin Packaging and buy our cans from them also. It comes in handy for matches and other non food items also.

I hope this helps..

I would post pictures if I knew how..

·
reluctant sinner
17,581 Posts
After 5 posts you get some additional privileges. Click on User CP button, scroll down to pictures and albums. You can load your pics there and then past them in your post.

If your posts are online already and they let you link them that will work too. I think all the free photo places no longer let you link for free like photobucket did.

Thanks for review, FD is on my list of considerations. I like pressure canning as I only need to protect the jars from freezing vs running a freezer off grid.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
Shipping was $200.
`

Yeah, that explains it. The cheapest model they have w/ shipping would be $2,100+ then. While I've been keeping an eye on them for years now, I just can't plunk that kind of cash down on something like that since I'm not even sure how much I'd end up using it in the long run. I haven't even spent more than $1,500 on a single gun in almost 20 years, unless I come into some unexpected cash or decide I really REALLY need it, I'll be waiting till they get under $1K, if they ever do. :(

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
We have had one for a couple of years now and I am convinced that it is a great investment. We have the mid size and, for two of us, it seems to fill our needs just fine.

Al

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,837 Posts
I bought one for my wife in 2016. She loves it.

However she has not used it for the last year, because our home is powered by solar power, and each batch takes too long.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,529 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
We were early adopters and we love it. Have not run it as we moved and that takes far longer than thought, but getting it set up. We did after the move go through all product and found some mushy ones, made notes will dry those items longer or cut up smaller next time they were all trashed.

Those items were from 2016, age wasn't the issue it was dry time, cabbage should have been dry but wasn't. Strawberries were another I tossed them all. We ate some beef patties from 2016, I was surprised that it took nearly an hour to re hydrate, other about 15 min???

Was a hard core canner, now can very little FD most all.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
You could buy a lot of freeze dried food for the cost of the machine, the cost of the raw materials and the cost of labor/time.
A freeze dried machine, that only cost a few hundred dollars, would be more practice.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,529 Posts
That is true, but as Dee mentioned, she was a hard-core canner but now freeze-dries her foods.

So, if a person can get the produce nearly free (out of their garden, hunting, etc.)... that would help offset the overall cost AND, knowing where the food comes from (organic or wild-harvested in my case) is a bonus.

I wish I had the $$$ to get one of these...

Freeze dried foods are so lightweight and much easier to fool with than heavy glass jars filled with food... This would be great for hiking, camping, etc. as well.

But at that price, I will have to hope that eventually it becomes more affordable.

It would be awesome if I could rent one of these things!

Reactions: stitch

·
reluctant sinner
17,581 Posts
2 grand is almost 2 years of my food budget. Even with an INCH cart load of food I can't really justify the price of the machine, although I bet my FD would better than Mountain House and lots cheaper.

Jars at home are no issue for me.

Canning to me is just like reloading ammo. It takes some time and equipment but you are the quality control person. I'd bet FD is the same game.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts