Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a hard copy library of downloaded files for the STHF time. I feel its not a matter of if but when. Urban and Wilderness. I would like the input from the vast knowledge base contained here of what YOU would find nessicary to have on hard copy. I want ALL ideas. Nothing is too irrellavant to me as this may have to be passed on to my wife (whom has little knowledge of survivalism) if I am deployed and things were to hit the provibrial fan and I cannot return. Please if possible provide links so all can benifit from your input. ..... I thank you in advance .... as does my family.

I hope others may glean as much from this thread as I and my loved ones will. God bless and THANK YOU again .....

Mels

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have so many lists of items it isn't even funny, but they are already on my computer as docs. I have a list of things that are even good just for bartering, I will work on posting my lists all in one place for you. If you like you can PM me and I can just coopy all my docs into one list for you to sort through at your convenience as well as all my notes too. That way you can copy to your computer and burn as you like them to be organized.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Downloading it now. Is there any information on alternitive energy like howto make your own homemade energy for windpower generators, solar panels, compost reactor (think its used to heat water) and things like this? Watched a ton of howto vids on youtube but it would be nice to have something to print out.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If your talking about uterrents then I would say probably, but I haven't had a look in that direction. I probably should though. If you want to find it the pirate bay probably has it. I wonder some times when the helicopters are flying a little lower over my house if some of the information is legal to have but you can have it never the less.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Whats the limit on the amount of hard-copy? 100 pages? 1000? More?

Another question is how good the hard copy needs to be...I've found out the hard way that some computer printouts aren't very hardy, especially the ink-jet type.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I use ink jet and I agree. If you spill water on anything that you print out you end up with a mess to say the least. If you want to permatize(I know thats not a real word) your print outs you will either have to treat it in some way(I don't know how you could do that but would be interested in ideas) or get it laminated. if you laminate it then you have to worry about what it is that you are laminating. If the helicopters are flying lower than usual then you might consider who you trust to do the laminating. Paper is very vonerable to water in any sort but ink jet is absolutely horable IMHO.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
inkjet ink is not colorfast. it will fade over time. toner from laser printers will delaminate as well. However, paper is an incredible thing and withstands a tremendous amount of abuse. I have fifteen year old bills that are printed on bond paper with a laser printer and they are perfectly fine in my file drawers. Even if soaked paper is often still readable. Archaeologists keep digging up thousand year old documents.

Unfortunately, the there are basically only two ways of making a hard copy (a book if you will) that is permanent. Either way you need to start with archival grade acid free paper. The first way is printing it on an offset press. The second is hand writing it with permanent inks. Both are cost and labour intensive. One of my little schemes is to set up a press post-SHTF and make pamphlets or booklets as barter goods. The down side is that press ink makes you mad. All the pressmen I know are insane.

Noodlers Ink (www.noodlersink.com) sells a variety of permanent inks. As an asside, These are a good thing to use to write cheques with. It makes it almost impossible for thieves to wash the cheque and scam you.

I have been thinking about assembling an enchiridion like this but I have yet to figure out the right way to do it and need to get some other priorities out of the way first.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whats the limit on the amount of hard-copy? 100 pages? 1000? More?

Another question is how good the hard copy needs to be...I've found out the hard way that some computer printouts aren't very hardy, especially the ink-jet type.
No limit ... and I have access to xerox MFD's at work so I can print books if need be ... Quickly :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts