Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost half million 3 and 6 ton jackstands with ratchet teeth recalled by harbor freight.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I honestly don't even trust their hammers. I would never get under a car supported by their stuff. Costco sells higher quality tools than Harbor Freight.

·
Squared away like a donut
445 Posts
I honestly don't even trust their hammers. I would never get under a car supported by their stuff. Costco sells higher quality tools than Harbor Freight.
Agreed. Never trust your life to ANYTHING sold at Harbor Freight. It’s basically the Taco Bell of the tool world. It’s cheap for a reason.

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,102 Posts
Recalls happen all the time. Regardless of business. Harbor Freight merchandise is gotten a lot better quality in the past several years

Would you rather they don’t recall an item if they find an issue ?

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,012 Posts
I threw out one due to this. I'll take the other in for a replacement. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,476 Posts
Did they specify a brand? They've sold different ones through the years

I have a couple that are 2 years old. I don't use them for vehicles though or anything over 500lbs

·
Censor me not
664 Posts
Never had a problem with any of my 10+ year old Harbor Frieght jackstands. Matter of fact my 240sx has been supported at all 4 corners by 4 orange HF 3 tonners for about a year now.

I buy sparingly from HF, mainly just for tool storage, but their jackstands and jacks have always been a good bang for the buck. They had a bad run and are addressing it. The old orange and white 3 tonners they used to sell for like $17.99 each are reliable and trustworthy.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Recalls happen all the time. Regardless of business. Harbor Freight merchandise is gotten a lot better quality in the past several years

No, but I would like to see them quit importing cheap products of questionable quality control and metalurgy, something the Chinese suppliers they use are notorious for. There is a world of difference in a cheap chinese lawn mower engine breaking down and a jack stand holding a 4000 lbs car up while your trying to make a repair.

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,102 Posts
No, but I would like to see them quit importing cheap products of questionable quality control and metalurgy, something the Chinese suppliers they use are notorious for. There is a world of difference in a cheap chinese lawn mower engine breaking down and a jack stand holding a 4000 lbs car up while your trying to make a repair.
Look at most shop items like this.... guess what a lot of them say? Made in USA? Nope....

They say Made in China

·
Stubborn Survivor
146 Posts
Does anyone have a particular brand/model that is recommended? I had an old craftsman set that burned. Bought the HF stuff for my army Jeep figuring it is light enough. But those will be going back today. Need a replacement. Figure I might as well for with 5/6 ton so it handles my truck too

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I've never been able to trust stands, period. Call it rational. I just do what my old man did: 12x12 wood stacked up until it's as high as I need.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I use stands. Have an old AC Delco set and just bought a Big Red Jack set. What I do is jack up, set stands, lower vehicle to stands then tighten jack back up to vehicle. I figure three things would have to fail at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

When you start at zero then it's all up.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'd challenge to find ANYTHING in that joke of a store that does NOT come from chicomland. If you can still find anything from Taiwan it MIGHT be worth the risk.

·
Registered
756 Posts
changed out the kids suspension last month. Even with jack stands, one thing I always do is put the tires underneath the rocker panels. I may still get hurt, but better than nothing. Also makes it easier to reset the jack if it slips off on the road(tire change)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts