1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Ghost is in the Machine
69 Posts
Here we go again. God Bless all who are affected. Emergency management officials have been told here to prepare for Ike that Hannah wouldn't be too bad. I hope they don't eat those words. Ike does look pretty bad though.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
I'm 70 miles East of Savannah, we got alot of cloud cover and drizzles. People up in South and North Carolina are going to take the brunt. Good luck to all of you in range. Keep an eye out on Ike. He's gonna be a biotch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We've been lucky here on the west central coast. Been here since 98 and haven't yet lost a shingle. Hope that pattern continues.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ike track moving west, now showing key west hit and possible west florida coastal hit, or gulf coast

·
Y2K Veteran
274 Posts
I left the Outer Banks at 0900 this morning. No big deal down there. A few tourists like me were leaving, after a week of great weather, no need to stay for one more rainy day. The news down there just said to put away things that blow around, be prepared for 3 days on your own in case of power outages, etc. I overheard some of the locals in a restaurant yesterday, just idle chit chat about it being "part of the experience of living there", but again, no big deal. Did not see anyone buying up supplies at the local home stores nor at the groceries. What a great attitude the people have down there, not panic stricken as the news would have you believe. I saw the Weather Channel guy on TV last night broadcasting live from the Hatteras beach, trying to talk up the weather like it was suddenly coming in to threaten the vacations with high surf. We got there a week ago, the waves were big all week, but still had a great time. It's going to rain, it's going to be windy, a few minor inconveniences, but no major disaster about to happen. Now as for Ike, whoa...

·
Savage intellectual
1,866 Posts
Ike has me concerned. I'll probably be doing a grocery run at 0700 tomorrow, and then putting up the boards and lowering the awnings. I'm doing some repair work on one of the awnings tomorrow as well.

I have metal hurricane awnings, and closing up the house takes no more 5than 15 minutes.

Will be checking preps this weekend. If we go to hurricane warning, I'm out of here. Mandatory evacuation zone.

Gotta love South Florida.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got everything I need both for sheltering in place and for bugging out for at least two people. I'm hoping it won't be much more than a lot of needed rain mixed with some wind, but reality doesn't always work that way, so I'm glad I am forward-looking.

I'm only regretting that these Hurricanes have put a kibash on my camping plans.

:xeye:

Maybe after it's all over, I can go. One can always hope.

:thumb:

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ike is still a toss up at this point. Current track does have it sliding under Florida into the gulf (again). Howver the "cone of error" is still huge so we will see. Hope everyone stays safe.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My heart goes out to all in Haiti who lost their lives, and to all on the East coast who lost property and power after Hurricane Hannah.

:(

Fortunately, Hannah passed the Southern Piedmont region of North Carolina. This morning, not only was the Sun shining, but you could barely tell any rain and wind were ever there (albeit, I felt some last night.)

I'm still braced for Ike though, so I'm still prepared. (In fact, I'm better prepared, since I managed to get a APC Battery Backup for my computer a day before Hannah came over the East Coast.)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
all we had was some rain and it was a little breezy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts