Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you folks use to protect the wooden handle on your hand tools ?

Split several cords of pine for firewood every year. Now and then my swing is inaccurate resulting in the edge of the log will bite the handle .Usually wrap
Several feet of duct tape beneath the eye but a knotted log can really make more work.

·
reluctant sinner
17,584 Posts
850 cord wrap. I think I put duct, electrical and teflon on first then the over wrap.

New handle to replace the worn out short one. Now lives on my 4 wheeler with a Swen saw, a shovel and a comealong with some stakes, plus a trekking pole.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
I gave up on wooden handles a few years ago. Got tired of breaking them and the new handles costing almost as much as a new axe. I found Fiskar's brand splitting axe to be a pretty amazing tool for the four-five cords of wood I split a year. Best axe I've ever owned since I was old enough to use one.

Paracord will do nothing for overstrike protection. You need something that can actually soak up force. One of those big ugly rubber handle protectors would work good. Or you could just go with an unbreakable axe and forget about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts