Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
As we all know, for every one of us who preps there's probably 10 or more who don't. Today I'm wondering how many of you have "extra" firearms that if and when the shtf you have deemed to or plan on handing out to the unprepared around you? As an example, while I don't have exactly a large arsenel, I do have one or two I could do without if need be and wouldn't care to hump with me that were the s to htf I would at least offer to my neighbor/landlord as I don't think she has any preps at all. I have also left a gun or two and ammo intentionally at both of my parents houses as they refuse to own any themselves, and I'll be damned if I'm unarmed just because the world collapsed while I'm visiting them, also a way of looking out for them. Food an water, they're on their own, but I'll offer someone a fighting chance if I can. Any one else do this or consider it in their prepping?

·
Registered
34,646 Posts
Yes.

Although I think think it would be foolish to give someone a weapon and then tell them they have to feed themselves!

I plan on feeding (and if necessary arming) everyone within 2 miles of me. (All 13 of them...although I don't think the 2 year old will be up to much!)

Although I perfer finding out what they have and just supplying a little ammo.
It's cheaper, and much easier to not stand out when you hand over a box of ammo you "had laying around" rather than a rifle snd chest rig.

Reminds me, I need to see if I have a couple boxes of .270, my new neighbor has one.

Eta:
There's a firearms section for these type of posts.
You might take the time to read enough to determine where things go.
It's practically a good survival trait to look before you leap!

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
I have enough to arm a number of those in my group. Unless I'm pretty damned sure someone's a good guy I'll not be "handing out" guns or bullets to anyone else. They need to be vetted, and vetted again, and then trained or prove they've already got it.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Fire arms are tools,different ones for different jobs.

I've lent out tools,and have borrowed them.

I wouldn't lend out my arc welder to my aunt that has no clue how to use it.

I buy tools to use,not give away,but don't have a problem lending one to a friend if I don't need it..

So,no,I don't buy guns to give away unless its a gift.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hello all!
.... {snip} ...Any one else do this or consider it in their prepping?
I picked up four 'extra' pistols for after an event. And I have lots of extra weapons, here and at the lake home, that would be duplicative and would be better use in my friends' hands than in a gun safe.

Having extra supplies for friends/family is an obvious conclusion in my prepping philosophy.

The people are more important to my safety & survival than the effort of having extra equipment laid up.

Example: I have a very good friend that would be an incredible asset, but lives in his mansion on the fallacy Lake of Wobegone.

His wardrobe is filled with posh, and his mind does comprehend the possibility of an event... but while the lights are burning brightly, he dedicates his time to his career and family (one of the top dudes at Ford Motor Company)

We both see the possibility of a massive upheaval in society, but come to very different risk assessment conclusions.

He is a loyal, trustworthy friend.

I think he is wrong in his assessment. Obviously, I can't do everything for him. But the question became - At the cost of less than a day's work, can I help him out if an event happens? It was a no-brainer to me and I have a tote already packed to drop on his doorstep for his family to use.

Ask yourself:

● Do I have any loved ones whom are not prepping?

● Would they benefit from some items after an event?

● Is having them around an asset to my life?

The cost is negligible.

I doubt anyone here would trade the $1000 in crisp bills in exchange for non-prepping loved ones if the S does HFT

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do have enough guns to equip my small group, but most of the members of my group will be bringing plenty of their own guns and ammo... so we have enough to go around, but not going to hand out to someone and send them on their way... they will be apart of our group to use our guns. if not, then we will just keep them as backup...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I will soon be living in a rural area. Most of my neighbors will do fine as far as food [might have to butcher a horse or two] but some might be a little unprepared for firearms. I am betting that almost every farmhouse has at least a 12ga. Because I want my neighbors to be able to defend themselves I bought a buckshot mold and have made a stockpile of buckshot shells over this winter. I will trade some and give some away if the need arises.

I also have some firearms that I don't need that will be available for trade. I even bought a new 30-30 and will be able to trade them off with a supple of ammo.

I am short of the acreage I need to provide a comfortable subsistance lifestyle for the number of family that could possibly be with us. Right now my neighbors aren't interested in selling any land, but I am thinking that in a TEOTWAWKI event they wont be able to utilize all their acres and will be wanting to have everyone in their household to have a firearm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would only give out my firearms to my immediate family, who I live with. As for other people, sorry, but if they didn't prepare, that's not my problem. Post SHTF I'd only help family members, that's it.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I have thought about getting 3 rifles, and 3 handguns, that all use the same caliber, to hand out to my most beloved Sheeple.

Something like the Keltec Sub 2k that uses had gun ammo and standard Glock magazines.

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,606 Posts
I don't have "hand-out" guns; I have issue guns. Thy are to be signed out at the beginning of a shift, along with their ammo, and signed back in at the end. They are to be used by the most trustworthy of those who come to my homestead seeking shelter, and whose services in labor I accept in return. As such, I am not handing them out or bettering them away, but rather leveraging them to mutual advantage.

That said, as I transition to my new homestead in Maine over the next several years, I am renting here in CT, so really have no current plans for them.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
I would fully expect to hear a loud bang just minutes after handing a gun to someone who has never fired one before. (In a high stress environment.)

And with my luck, they either shot themselves or me...by accident.

If they refused to learn about firearms in calm times...they get a nice hefty stick in troubled times.

My very favorite illustration of this is in the movie World War Z. They land in an infested area, and Brad Pitt hands a G17 to the scientist. (Who obviously knew nothing about guns.) Brad tells him "keep your finger off the trigger."

**** starts to fly, the scientist panics and runs back up the ramp into the plane. Puts his finger on the trigger. Trips and falls...and blows the top of his head off by accident.

Well...****. :)

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
I have some that are mine but I would share them with my wife and kids. :D:

I have more that are mine but I would share them with close family. One or two of my siblings and their spouses. But maybe not the others.

If something happened over a holiday trip, I'm a good shot and they are good shots. Me standing around trying to protect everyone by myself while I had multiple firearms would be stupid. Plus, I'm not going to boot out the good members of the family with no food or weapons; just the crappy ones. I'd try not to be a crappy one hoping they wouldn't boot me.

Every holiday family trip is to a place that's well armed with guns similar to what I use. If anything, I only have to pack a small handgun for target shooting while I'm there.

·
What would Mal do
4,653 Posts
if they didn't bring one of their own...they weren't serious about it to begin with.

but here's a great example the just happened a week ago.

my immediate family enjoy the fact that I have property and a range out back...pistol, shotgun, 22lr that's it.

on occassion they'll ask if they can bring a friend... and it has taken a few times of me telling them "no" and why that they get it and don't ask...but last week my daughterinlaw says he mom and dad finally got a gun and got their CWP and wanted to come over and practice , and try some of our 9mm platforms as they are looking to buy something beside the ruger mark pistol they now own.
so I relented and let this one come this time.
we met in the kitchen and went over all safety proceedures first... and I wanted to hear them tell me what they did and didn't already know.

i guess i wasn't surprised to see how inexperienced they were and yet they passed their CWP.
anyway..out to the range we went...as I monitored.. I watched horrible shooting postures/stance, lousy trigger work, no concerpt of actually how to run their own pistol, never mind a standard S&W M&P and 1911 platforms.

the target at 21 did get plenty of holes..so if they have time to stand there, for..like...ever...they will be ok shooting and hitting the badguy somewhere on his torso...but if they get a jam, or even run out and haven't even realized they are empty, they are basically shut down.

so...knowing that this is the very type of extended family that might show up at my door in a major zombie war...no... I'm not looking to hand them a firearm and expect much help...

beyond even that type of family that i trust, i can't see passing out guns and ammo to neighbors etc...watched too many movies (lol)

·
What would Mal do
4,653 Posts
ok..just reconsidered..or modified my thoughts on this.

if they were newcomers to the anti-zombi commune.. i might provide a rifle or pistol that has the firing pin removed....then if they are honest and are using the gun to help me defend and it doesn't go bang, I'll cover them and then tell them there must be some malfunction...
but if i hand them the weapon and the immediately turn it on me to take from me...then I'll let it go 'click' and the resolve the encounter.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I've got 2 or 3 I'd loan out to neighbors that I know are on my side. I think I'd have to know the person pretty well. Friends and long term acquaintances(the kind you know well but don't click enough to be friends) are the only ones who'd get guns.

One is an older gentleman who doesn't hunt anymore so he gave all his guns to his son who live 2 states away.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts