Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being new to this game i had a 25 auto hand gun GIVEN to me.......was wondering if this would be pass-able for some kind of protection.....im a newbie but trying to get prepared only income is unemployment...tia

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's better than nothing, but not by a whole lot. It won't have much stopping power unless you could get a head shot at close range or a direct heart impact. They just don't have much power or shock effect. Now. Having said that from the comfort of my computer chair, I will also say that if you are shooting at ME with that thing, you will get my complete attention and respect as I make for cover. Anything being fired at me would be assumed to be very threatening to my well being and, really, I wouldn't know it was a .25 until much later as they dug a slug outten my butt where you got me as I disappeared over the horizon.
Reminds me of a story I read about an old mountain man that was sitting in front of a store on a bench whittling and just passing away the afternoon, when a young fellow came up to him and started talking to him. The mountain man happened to notice the butt of a gun sticking out form the young fellows vest and asked about it. The young fellow pulled it out and showed it to him and told him it was a .25 cal (I think). After looking it over and handing it back the mountain man said: "If you ever shoot me with that thing and I find out about it, I'm gonna spank your butt!"

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I was at a gun show last month and a couple of Hispanic guys were looking at a .25 cal, I nudged one and said "You would really **** a guy off if you shot him with that" He started laughing and put it back on the table.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Hello chevy! I wouldn't want to be shot with ANY firearm, but..
While better than nothing, and I would think that any pistol could serve as a deterrant, the .25 isn't regarded as a much of a man stopper. I like firearms, so I'd welcome a .25 to my collection and would enjoy shooting it, but I wouldn't carry it for personal protection. Have a Happy New Year!

·
I feel good.... . . .
494 Posts
you do what you can do, thats all you can do is do what you can do. so now all you need is to stock up on ammo.
I second that. And if thats all you got make darn sure that you know all the ins-n-outs of that gun. Make sure you are a proficient shot and keep it in good working order.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If that is the only handgun or gun that you own I would keep it until you got something bigger. If you shoot a BG 3-5 times with it he will be dead. I worked in the ER I have seen plenty of bullet holes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just creep up real close like, tell him to hold real still, then whack him on the head and run like hell!

Just kidding. I agree that if you open up on someone who is in their right mind with any gun, they will run away. Even a .22 makes a big bang up close. It's the ones who are not in their right mind that will cause you trouble. That's why the other posters agree that this one is not much for self defense. Might be a good BU gun for in close desparate times though.

Enjoy shooting it!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I second that. And if thats all you got make darn sure that you know all the ins-n-outs of that gun. Make sure you are a proficient shot and keep it in good working order.
And PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE until you get a bigger gun, the biggest slug in the world will do no good unless it hits something.
and have fun while you practice !

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As they say "Any gun in a knife fight is a winner" It is better than no gun at all and many times just the sight of a gun will calm down a hostile aggressor. If you can trade it up to at least a .38 then go for it, but it is not a total piece of junk!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Check to see if the .25 caliber is a collectable; it may be worth more than a new firearm to a rabid collector.

Years ago I came upon a family pulled off to the side of the road; mom & dad had been arguing and suicidal dad shot himself with a .25 caliber just below the sternum point blank; a small boy took the gun from his dad and threw it in the woods and flagged me down... the man survived his wound.

Moral of the story? You can kill yourself with a mouse gun but take a head shot.

Put something you don't NEED on ebay and trade up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldn't carry anything less than a .40 cal for self protection. Unless you poked their eye out with it, or rammed it in their gut and got one thru their heart, I seriously doubt a .25 would kill anyone....wich, regardless of what some people may think, is the perpose of shooting someone. The size of the bullet wouldn't cause enough damage to the body, before the body started shutting down to preserve itself. When you shoot somone, the body starts to turn off all of its non-essential things. That way, it can focus on the brain and heart, and lungs ect..... Thats why a bigger bullet, is generally better. Hopefully, a larger bullet would damage the target to the point where the "shutdown" process will be much less effective.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have had a Hi-Standard 22 mag / 2 shot, for going on 30 years.
It's small, light and has enough punch to get someones attention.
Wouldn't trust it on range of fire of more that about 12 feet. But close up it's nasty.
Sometimes it's just right to carry in a vest pocket when I don't feel like packing my 45 all day.......

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Although the .25 caliber being primarily a "pimps" weapon--it is an effective concealed piece, or a cheap version of a backup.

I bet it's a Beretta? Right!?

If so this is a nice little piece--keep it, and get a few boxes of ammor for it.

You never, ever know when you'll need to keep something small and handy in your pocket.

T

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Well I can sympathize with the unemployment part. But when working as a active armed gaurd. I made it a policy that my bachup use the same round and magazines as the primary weapon. Off duty I refused to use any thing below 9mm/.38 Spl. The reason was unless the circumstaces were "perfect" the track record is to spotty to bet my life on it.

Granted I'd keep it for now, but I'd upgrade to something larger later.

Rifleman 336

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
So you have a .25 caliber handgun. A small handgun like a .25 semi-auto pistol is a good place to start. Obviously it is NOT going to make a good primary defense handgun. If you find things a bit tough, I would suggest that you consider buying or storing up about 200 rounds for that gun of yours. I would also suggest that you think about getting extra magazines for your gun too. I would think that you would want about a total of 6 to 10 magazines for that gun. Later on, if things improve for you financially, I would then get a bigger bore gun like a .357 magnum revolver and use .38 special ammo in that gun. The key here is: Can you make do or adapt and overcome with what you have available? What this means is can you think of ways to make your little pistol work for you? Do some research or google information about using small bore pistols. Learn your craft well. This pistol of yours can be a good learning tool for you because owning and using any pistol or firearm requires thought, practice and ability.

I'll give you an example. With a small bore pistol you can learn to shoot it, carry it and clean it. You learn that you need extra magazines. You learn the ballistics behind your ammo and pistol. You learn that you need cleaning brushes, patches, oil, cleaning solvent, holsters and so on. You learn that your little pistol will dig into your skin if you carry it in a pants pocket but not if you carry it in a vest pocket or coat pocket. You think about, "Should I carry my little buddy in condition one or two tonight?" Do you carry it cocked and locked or not?

Good luck with your little pistol. Keep it clean and treat it right. You'll find that even a .25 caliber pistol can be a good thing to have around when things get bad.

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
"Always fear the man with one gun." This is one thing that you have over many others, if you practice with that gun, and shoot often, and can hit the gnat off of a donkeys hind, then I would fear you more than some one with a 50 cal that can't hit anything.

The only thing you would have to honestly worry about is some one coming after you that is hyped up on drugs, because the sheer site of a gun, or sound of a gun would scare any normally minded person.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts