Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Student/Teacher
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a bit of blade shopping and generally find that hand forged knives, axes, etc are more expensive. Are they better or is it a lot of hype? Is a well made hand forged blade really better than a consistent production line blade with good quality control?

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
More work goes into a forged knife so if you are buying from a maker you may pay more.
Mass produced knives will be cheaper, depending on what you buy, as for quality that depends on the metal, the maker and usualy the price. IMHO.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Pretty much agree with hog...it depends. Just because someone is forging a knife doesn't mean they know what they're doing. That's where research comes into play. Sure, they're going to be more expensive, but they may be worth it from someone who really knows what he's doing. Mass production has the advantages of cost and consistency, but is also compromised for those same reasons. I've had few mass-produced knives fail outright as long as they've been used properly, but have always wanted a good hand-made knife, but never have been able to justify the cost.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
A mass produced knife doesn,t get the same attention as a hand forged knife IMO.

when i make a hand forged knife i make it from start to finish so every detail is scrutanised.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with sticks 100%
Hand forged blades from reputable bladesmiths are usually the best you can buy.Yes you WILL pay a premium for most of them,but they are well worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heat treatment is paramount, handmade or production.

The word "forged" that is tacked onto marketing for axes, kitchen knives, etc. is just that - marketing. These are still production pieces, not handmade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts