Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am looking to make a really efficient hand drill and the way to do this is by using the best wood types for my area. I live in south jersey. I have heard for the base, juniper, pine, and maple are good and for the spindle juniper and oak. If anyone does hand drill, what are the best woods? Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, i am from other side of the world but i would choose pine and oak. Have tried them and got black powder with smoke, even burned my hand. Still, in the nature it's hard to find a stick from oak wood.. Maybe you should look in home depot or similar.
Use also google where you can find a list of wood - from useful to useless for hand drill. Gut luck

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, i heard juniper on juniper does well, anyone else here that? Also what goes good with an oak spindle? Thanks again

·
Registered
94 Posts
They key is to make lots of fires and make new sets every time you go out, before long you will be able to pick up a piece of wood and you will know immediately if it feels right or not. Fire tender tip, if you got railroad tracks nearby the ties makes excellent fire starter if thinly shaven down, creosote!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, i am now gathering a few types of wood for spindles and bases to try out. If you have a combination that works for you i'd love to hear it thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts