Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone on the board have a recommendation for a quality hand crank radio. I would like to spend less than $40.00. Thanks.

·
workin on it
1,392 Posts
Hand crank radio

Not sure what else is out there on the market these days. Can tell you that i purchased a Grundig FR 200 about 6 years ago. I has a hand crank and battery power. Bands are AM/FM/SW1/SW2. It also has a small flash light that works off of either source.

THis unit served my family well. We utilized it in during Hurricanes Katrina and GUstav. We were w/o power for over 2 weeks for each event. The dynamo works well, I was concerned if it would hold up, but it did fine.

I believe I purchase mine on line, for about 50 bucks. Check out their line of products, mine was dependable and is still sitting on the dresser, ready to use again.:thumb:

·
Registered
552 Posts
We have an Eton, which during the ice storm this winter, worked great. I was without power for a week. I cuddled up next to the wood stove with a 6 pack and the crank radio. It got TV statios (which I don't think it does now with analogue gone), weather, etc. Has a little LED light on it as well. worked great!

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
Whats the range of SW?
I want to get the voyager, I am surrounded by mountains so FM, and maybe AM will be down if there is no power.
I am hoping SW will make it though, so I can here whats going on.

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Depending on the SW frequency in use, and the day/night interface it encounters, it can be a few miles to around the world. Certain frequencies are best during the day for both parties, best during the night for both parties, and some best when crossing a day/night interface. The big time SW broadcasters use the frequency for the time of day of their target audience.

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
That weather station could them be heard anywhere.
not that the weather would be that bad here, but hopefully if we had a big quake someone would have the common sense to use it to get news in this area.
I want to get three or four handcranks so I have one happy each of my daughters has one and my friend rick who will not prepare himself

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
There are seven different NOAA weather radio frequencies. They broadcast in FM so they are short range. The different frequencies are spaced out in the grid to avoid interference with the next nearest station. The coverage isn't 100% of the contiguous 48, but it is close. In low quality reception areas an external antenna works wonders.

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
There are seven different NOAA weather radio frequencies. They broadcast in FM so they are short range. The different frequencies are spaced out in the grid to avoid interference with the next nearest station. The coverage isn't 100% of the contiguous 48, but it is close. In low quality reception areas an external antenna works wonders.
Yep I am back up against the san gabriels FM would probably be a gonner unless it was broadcasted locally or had a repeater, since it is line of sight.
SW is not popular but I could get some contact with the outside world. I think BBC and other still broadcast, but I don't know for sure.

I would think that someone would have thought about this and set up something reliable in a large devistating event.

Still the Voyager offers not only the radio offers a flash light and a cell phone charger which might be useful, and it's also solar.

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
I wish I could find a hand crank or solar ham reciever that is HF.
the antenna would be long but you can always here something, since it bounces off the ionisphere.

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
The only other major nation wide warning system is the NIST time standard radio stations WWV. It broadcasts on 5, 10, & 15 MHZ. The shortwave bands of the Voyager should get one or more of those frequencies. No special alarm system like NOAA, but they routinely carry maritime, major weather, and solar weather information and are tasked with carrying emergency information during times of public danger.

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
The only other major nation wide warning system is the NIST time standard radio stations WWV. It broadcasts on 5, 10, & 15 MHZ. The shortwave bands of the Voyager should get one or more of those frequencies. No special alarm system like NOAA, but they routinely carry maritime, major weather, and solar weather information and are tasked with carrying emergency information during times of public danger.
perfect so SW is HF then does the radio need a ground plain for good reception?

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
No, but a good long wire antenna helps. I think the Voyger has an external antenna input, but I couldn't verify it. One of the places that sells them showed other popular items sold with the radio and it included a roll up antenna.

·
Super Cool Dude
121 Posts
I have been looking at emergency radios also lately. I would like to have something in case **** hits the fan and also something while I am camping. Sometimes a little music is great while setting up a campsite!

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Grundig/Eton FR250 here. AM/FM and seven SW bands. It has a fine adjust knob on the channels so you can get the really tiny ones in clear, too. Great speaker for a small radio, loud, clear as a bell. It has an LED light built in, a red strobe LED, and a pretty loud siren. Works on AC adapter, internal rechargeable pack, 3AA's or hand crank....and it even has a bag of attachments to charge cell phones.

It's gotten us through a handful of short outages and one longer one (two and a half days) with zero probs.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/etn-red-cross-fr250-am-fm-shortwave-radio.aspx?a=567291

rich

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
....and it even has a bag of attachments to charge cell phones. rich
But, does it charge up the cell phones?????????

I've read more con/neg posts than pro/pos ones. People say you can't turn crank fast enough to charge cell, but you can use it while radio is plugged into AC. But if you've got AC power, why not use your cell's charger?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts