Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro hammock. Big time newbie to hammock camping. This particular hammock is 10 ft long x 5 ft wide.

So what size tarp do y'all recommend for this size hammock ?

I have done some light research into the subject but wanted to hear what the boards have to say.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Kinda depends on what conditions you might expect.
A 10' hammock will "probably" be about 8.5-9' long when hung with the proper amount of sag...
So you may be able to get away with a 9' tarp. You will want a bit of overhang on each end of your tarp to protect you from rain.
I live in the Pac NW. It rains here...alot...
I have an 11' hammock and use a 12X12, (Kelty Noahs 12), tarp. I find that gives me about a foot of overhang on each end and plenty of side protection. Been through some pretty intense rainstorms and managed to stay dry and cozy.
If your AO gets less rain, you may be able to get away with a smaller tarp, (most folks use a smaller tarp than I do).
Also consider how you hang your tarp.
An 8X8 tarp, when hung in diamond formation, will have about a 10' ridgeline. Not as much side protection that way, but if you're not expecting a monsoon you'll probably be OK.
It's all about what you feel comfortable with. I like to know that I can handle most of what Ma Nature can throw at me and be comfortable. For this I sacrifice carrying a few extra ounces. Some like to go ultra-light, minimalist and be prepared for a little discomfort in a worst-case scenario.
Check out hammockforums.com for a bunch of great info on this. They have a whole sub-forum dedicated to weather protection.
Happy hanging!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts