Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the S & W page I notice a lot of the compact revolvers are hammerless. Seems like a nice feature for carry.
Does anyone have an preference one way or the other for hammerless?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Most people go with the hammerless because it doesnt get snagged on anything when you draw it, such as a pocket or a ladies purse. However the down side to this is now its double action only and you have a longer trigger pull. I personally like having the hammer, i have never had any problems with snagging and such and you can fire it single or double action.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
There really nice for deep cover carry for theres no hammer spur to get caught on. Granted I still use a hammered revolver, but I put my thumb on the hammerspur during the draw so I have no snaging.

My dream revolver would be a 640 in .357 magnum with a 3" barrel.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have 2 sp101's one with one without. the majority of the time i shoot the one with hammer double action. in my opinion the issue is that it is simply a little tougher to fire..this can be remedied by a GOOD gunsmith.

my wife also carries an sp101 without hammer and she has no issues.

those that have carried a revolver for a long time and who by second nature pull the hammer when they unholster their weapon no matter what the scenario i can understand wanting the option. but in all of the training exercises i have participated in, when i draw my weapon i start firing in double action mode regardless..so for me the only benefit is on the range. that is just my own personal experience. i have had this discussion MULTIPLE times with MULTIPLE people and there are people on both side of the coin.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Looking at the S & W page I notice a lot of the compact revolvers are hammerless. Seems like a nice feature for carry.

I owned a SS 640 S&W hammerless and now own a scandium S&W with a hammer. I shot them both regularly. I greatly prefer the model with the hammer. It does not imprint too much in the pants pocket with the right holder. You will have the option of cocking the gun if you need an accurate first shot, perhaps a big advantage.

Do not hesitate to buy this gun. It is the most practical and safe gun I have ever owned. The 640 was great too but too heavy for pocket carry. If you put a J frame on a holster, you've lost most of its advanatages. It is 100% reliable.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Another option is the "Bodyguard" style shrouded hammer. M649 .357 is the only one still in production, but you can probably find the older M38 (blue) or M638 (stainless). You get just enough hammer to cock it if you want to, but the shroud keeps it from snagging on the draw.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have the 442 that I carry on occasion and the wife has the 642 with the shrouded hammer. They are both very nice to shoot and very easy to cary:thumb:

·
A Free Man
416 Posts
I carry the S&W 649 Bodyguard. Shrouded hammer doesnt snag if I am carrying it in a pocket, but I normally carry it in an ankle holster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts