1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Link:

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/02251002/H1N1_Wave3_HS.html

Excerpt:

. . . .Pandemic H1N1 has eliminated seasonal influenza A, which sets the stage for a new wave, which may be beginning. The fall wave was generated because most of the target population had no existing immunity to the new H1N1 and the development of immunity led to the end of the fall wave. However, low reactors have been identified pointing toward the emergence of a new wave with H1N1 that avoids the immunity generated against the H1N1 circulating in the fall.

One of the low reactors, D225G, was tightly linked to fatal cases in the fall, and recent sequences from Italy and Russia pairs that change up with another low reactor change, G158E, raising concerns that such recombinants can evade the existing immunity and generate cases which are more severe and fatal.

Recent reports in Tennessee and North Carolina have described patients with a higher frequency of ICU admissions and deaths and recent increases in other states in Region 4 raise concerns that these trends could spread. A 52% rise in weekly cases in colleges has been reported and the highest number was in North Carolina. Moreover, junior high schools are now reporting double digit absenteeism in Washington state. These increases in populations that were targeted in the fall raise additional concerns regarding the emergence of variants that have escaped the immunity generated last fall.
AND ALSO:

Link: http://www.recombinomics.com/News/02251001/H1N1_Wave3_Signals.html

Excerpt:

Some of the nation's emergency departments are noting increases in flu-like illness cases that appear to be pandemic H1N1, and colleges are reporting the first increase in flu-like illness since the end of November, but it's not clear if these are early signs of a third pandemic flu wave.

The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) said today in a Twitter post that some of its members were anecdotally reporting a new wave of pandemic H1N1 patients coming to emergency departments and asked if other physicians were seeing similar patterns.

Carl Schultz, MD, professor of emergency medicine at the University of California at Irvine, told CIDRAP News that the increase in the number of influenza-like illnesses appears to be real, but he cautioned that many of the cases have not been confirmed as the pandemic H1N1 strain, because many departments stopped specifically testing for it because of low flu activity. Schultz chairs ACEP's disaster preparedness and response committee.

The above comments provide additional data that a third wave in the United States has begun. Reports on flu at universities has increased 52% over last week, which is supported by anecdotal reports from emergency room physicians. The largest number of new student cases was again in North Carolina.

These developments parallel the start of the fall wave. The initial cases were in region 4 and this area has had the highest percent of samples being H1N1 positive. Similarly, state reports showed recent increases in North Carolina and Alabama, while earlier reports describe more severe cases in hospitals in Tennessee and North Carolina.

The initial reports from region 4 may signal the emergence of a more evolved H1N1 since the time between the current outbreak and cases reported in the fall would be greatest. A recent report on Allegheny County, location of metropolitan Pittsburgh found H1N1 antibody in 45% of patients age 10-17. If this population is again being targeted, it is likely that there are re-infections and the new virus has escaped the immune response generated against the fall wave. . . .
more at links provided

·
Prove it or stay silent
82 Posts
And its not that big of a deal. The flu is the flu. Mutated strands or not its still the flu.
Ignore the news hype, get the regular vaccine (they have too much compared to demand now) and ignore the hype.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Was it contagious?

Yes

Did I get it the first time?

Probably

Am I concerned?

Not really

This is how viruses go about their business, from one host to the next.

Either you get the virus or you don't. I know people who took every precaution possible and still got it. I also know people who did nothing to prevent themselves from getting it....while everyone around them caught it....they caught nothing.

What I do know is that some corporations made a lot of money scaring the crap out of people.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
More people have died from the regular influenza Virus in The US than the H1N1, unless the virus mutates to a more virulent stage, there is not much more to this 3rd wave.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I doubt that H1N1 can be more dangerous than my drive to work every morning. :xeye:

LOL. Do you deal with insane motorists, or giant pot holes?? I almost got nailed by some Lady, chatting on her phone, AND doing makeup, I assume driving with her knee.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Back in June 09... I got sick with *something*. I was sick for 3 fricken weeks!!! I'm thinking it was that stupid Swine flu thingy. Now granted... I was unemployed at the time, so being sick for 3 weeks wasn't that big of a deal.... however... MY POINT IS... I'M STILL HERE!!!

YES... I was damn sick. YES... I felt like HELL!!! But I never went to no doctor! I allowed my Immune System to 'fight the good fight' AND IT WON!!!

I'm pretty sure I spent 3 solid weeks of SLEEPING... when I wasn't coughing, or soaking in the bathtub, due to body aches, and the headaches... OMG!!! It was just a multitude of symptoms. Don't forget the fevers that made Menapause Hot Flashes seem luxury.

OH.... and as far as the coughing goes..... My adult sons, and my friends were TOTALLY FREAKING OUT.... that I couldn't complete a SENTENCE without hacking my lungs out!!!!

·
Return to Eden
37 Posts
Had it. It sucked, but I didn't miss a day of work. Took 2 weeks to get over when most bugs take me 2 or 3 days. IMO my immune system is stronger having went thru it. Never gotten a flu shot in my life and never will.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Ya know what a BIG part of our problem is now? (in my opinion)

Employers REQUIRE that we get a Doctor's Excuse after THREE DAYS... THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!!

It doesn't give our Immune Systems a chance to 'fight the good fight'.

JMHO

·
Registered
516 Posts
Don't get your knickerbockers in a bunch folks, it's no big deal.

Also, if it was a big deal, then we would have some much needed natural selection that humanity has dodged over the last 200 years.

It's a win win situation.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Most people don't comprehend the danger of flu epidemics / pandemics. It's never about your personal odds of survival. Even with the infamous 1918 strain, odds were extremely high (95-98%) that you were going to end up just fine. Rather, it's about the impact on society as a whole--panic buying, social distancing, unavailability of medical services, etc etc.

Now the point that most people have missed in TNPetite's post is that:

1. If you've got the shot, it likely won't help against the new variants (the FluMist may work because it has a slightly different formulation).
2. And if you got H1N1 last year, you probably don't have any immunity to the D225G.

So if it turns out to be serious, then everybody is back at square 1, except they'll be even less prepared because the first two rounds were so minor.

·
Return to Eden
37 Posts
Most people don't comprehend the danger of flu epidemics / pandemics. It's never about your personal odds of survival. Even with the infamous 1918 strain, odds were extremely high (95-98%) that you were going to end up just fine. Rather, it's about the impact on society as a whole--panic buying, social distancing, unavailability of medical services, etc etc.

Now the point that most people have missed in TNPetite's post is that:

1. If you've got the shot, it likely won't help against the new variants (the FluMist may work because it has a slightly different formulation).
2. And if you got H1N1 last year, you probably don't have any immunity to the D225G.

So if it turns out to be serious, then everybody is back at square 1, except they'll be even less prepared because the first two rounds were so minor.
Panic is the downfall of society in almost every crisis. If people keep a level head then they cope and survive. Waiting on the new flu every season like it's the end of the world doesn't do anyone any good. Shall we live in dread of D225G? In the context of health threats facing the world H1N1 is minor.
Forgive me if I'm not losing any sleep over it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Panic is the downfall of society in almost every crisis. If people keep a level head then they cope and survive. Waiting on the new flu every season like it's the end of the world doesn't do anyone any good. Shall we live in dread of D225G? In the context of health threats facing the world H1N1 is minor.
Forgive me if I'm not losing any sleep over it.
You've got a lot more faith in society & sheeple than I do. If it were to turn bad (not apocalyptic mind you), I can easily see panic. Even in these own forums there threads last year about how this was an intentional release / conspiracy to cull the population. NWO and all that crap.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Had it, it sucked. I ran the highest fever I had ever had in my life topping at 104.5. It took three full days to knock out the fever and another 4 to start recovering. And the coughing, I bruised a couple of ribs from. But a lot of experience from what grandparents used to do helped, like alcohol bath, extremely hot baths, tea, soups, and a whole lotta sleep, plus theraflu, tylenol, fresh garlic and vitamin C.

When I went to work they wanted to know why I was out so long, and I told them right off what I had. You should have seen the panic from the managers, it was like a nuke went off. Typical government beauracrats, they just panic at the slightest thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Spring Break is right around the corner.
With lots of college students from all over the country heading for sun & fun.

There will probably be an uptick in flu cases after spring break.
Which if it's slow news cycle will probably be heralded as the next pandemic has officially started.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts