Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a brand new H & R Pardner 20 gauge shot gun from an antique show two days ago. What a great gun! I have already shot a grouse and three squirrels with it. I had a .410 when I was 5 or 6, that gun is nothing compared to the 20 gauge. If you are looking for a first time gun or just a plinker, I reccomend the 20 gauge.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
My brother owns a 20Ga pardner that got me to by my 12Ga Tracker I ( Smooth bore with rifle sights.) They are just plain and simple, Thats what makes them so good.

Rifleman 336

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I agree-got a pardner 20 gauge, and while it hasn't killed anything yet, it's a great gun. I love the simplicity of it.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dad bought me the gun when I was little, I live in Michigan so a lot of people start shooting guns when the are little and the DNR doesn't really care.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dad put the survivor stock on his 20 gauge H & R. It is pretty cool, except it makes a lot of noise when you are wallking in the woods.

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
I intend to get three of them at some point in time. 10-gauge 3 1/2" magnum, 12-gauge 3 1/2" magnum, & 20-gauge 3" magnum.

A set of ChamberMate chamber inserts for: 10-gauge to 16-gauge, 12-gauge to 24-gauge & 28-gauge, and 20-gauge to 32-gauge & .410 bore.

The three shotguns plus the chamber inserts will allow the use of essentially all current production shotshells from 2 1/2" .410 bore to 3 1/2" 10-gauge magnum. All for under $1,000.00.

I call it my 'All Chamberings Shotgun Collection" Hope to have it put together by this time next year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have many expensive guns for me, but I am the retired Marine grandpa that lives in the country, so I inherit the responsibilty for teaching city-bred grandkids how to shoot.

Grandkids' guns at grandpa's house:

NEF Pardner .410 bore youth stock for pre-teeners

H&R Topper 20 gauge for teeners

Davy Crickett ( youth sized single shot bolt action) .22 with 4 power DC scope for pre-teeners.

Henry 1000y (youth) ,22 Lever iron sights for teeners.

Ruger New Bearcat Stainless Steel .22 (everybody gets to play cowboy!)

All simple to operate, safer than most and cheap to shoot! Plus they are sized for kids!

Use reactive targets (metal spinners, balloons, plastic jugs full of colored water and tincans on strings)and have one bang up time with the little guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
H & R Single Shot

The first gun my dad bought for me was an H & R single shot 16 ga. What a great gun. NEVER missed a squirrel with it (that I can remember). I Can't say enough about it for those looking for a first gun for their kids.

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend WHERE TO PURCHASE that gun? I understand Marlin bought out H & R in 2000, but it seems they still make the H & R single shot. I'm having trouble finding it and would love to pick one up. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have two, an NEF Pardner with synthetic stock (youth) and an H&R pardner With wood stock (Youth). Both are .410 and I bought both at Wally World! The wood one is the Grandkids shotgun when they come to visit and the synthetic is my "critter" gun or "yard gun". My first shotgun was an H&R Topper in 20 gauge with a plastic stock.. I still have a similar one with a wood stock but it is cut back to 18.5" barrel now. It was my "Canoe Gun" when I was spending a lot of time on the lakes. I'll always have at least 1 H&R single shot in the gun safe!

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can get them everywhere. 12g pardner was my first gun and I got it at Kmart. Wally World sells them too. I have a nice pump but the guys I hunt with laugh at me when I show up with the single shot. Of course I am not half as tired as they are after busting brush for pigs. I love how simple and esy it is to clean as well. Great gun

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love h&r single shot shotguns I have owned several for many years . What I really like is the new handirifles they are now producing , It is basically the same old topper receiver that can be fitted with just about any gauge barrel or a very large number of rifle calibers. HR has a barrel accessory program where you can order as many barrels as you want for your receiver. you do have to mail them your receiver however.This website should help you find any style youwant ,from pardner ,topper, or handirifle. www.hr1871.com click on customer support for dealers or barrel accessory program.

·
Registered
1 Posts
H & R Pardner

Actually I started my son in Georgia on a shotgun at 4 years. The best selsction in the Pardner for a young shooter is the 28 guage. It kicks like a .410 and hits like a 20.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts