·
democrats = Hydra
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guy posted on another forum
apologizes for doubting preppers

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1265029/pg1

exerpt: "Ladies and Gentlemen of the SHTF:

I have been totally wrong for many years in my disdain and arrogance for the truth that you were trying to teach us all.

We cannot depend on the government at any level, nor can we depend on our communities for the most part.

We are on our own."

there's more but this is the relevant part.

this Covid can be a wake-up call to a lot of non-preppers to PREPARE some.

(I looked and didn't see any rule issue with quoting another forum, hope this isn't a problem)

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,175 Posts
I suspect over the last 2-3 months a lot of people woke to the facts that you are ultimately responsible for yourself & family and the government isn't going to take care of you.

Now we will see just how long it lasts before they go back to business as usual where they would rather have the latest and greatest trend than a degree of security in being prepared.

·
Possum Lover
15,606 Posts
Some will, some won't. My adoptive parents had extreme difficulty with obtaining groceries for some time out in CA when this started, I would say a month of complaints and going out to 3-4 stores a day trying to get what they needed.

I mentioned, in passing, I had 25# of lentils delivered and they were aghast. They still don't get it. They are almost 80, their parents lived through the depression. I don't think they will get it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I offer help train my closest friends and people in my Church......it's always funny how I am blown off until there is some type of emergency....then I get the calls.....Covid 19 no different.

I think what puts most people off about prepping is the huge uptake on what it really takes to be prepared.

I see a general resistance learning about something so essential...people just wanna buy something out of a bag that has "everything" and then of couse they fall over when they see the price.

That example rang clear when I was asked for a medical prep list.....so I sent that person the example of what they needed from Adventure medical.....it was $385 for the kit and could have been assembled for about $150 but neither of those 2 choices were ever completed.

Now that Covid 19 is on the down side that persons sense of urgency has gone way down.

Silly

HK

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
My condescending brother in law (100K a year, ect.) had a similar moment. Always giggled at my preps and lifestyle. He has called 3 times. Well, had his wife call 3 times. How to set up a chicken coop, how to plant beans, what's eating my garden, ect. It's hilarious how people dive into gardening with zero skill set and are shocked when they fail disastrously.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The one radio show I listen to is the Rich Zeoli show. He is a conservative leaning libertarian like me. Back in March I remember him saying something similar along the lines of “To all the preppers out there that I did not believe in..... You were right”. He said it several times over a few days. I think Covid woke a lot of people up like him.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
My inlaws are retired farmers, translation: they own an actual farm and rent out the acerage to pay the taxes. Fortunately for them. Thier daughter married a guy from a small papermill town who grew up gardening, canning and buying staples in bulk ie. Poor.

So, we keep a really nice RV on thier land as a weekend retreat. I run thier garden, buck up firewood and do grunt work (sorta). We log alot of face time, do slot of grilling, bonfires, fishing, archery, shooting. Its out in the country.

This CV thing hit fast but they had a key to the small bedroom I rent so they had no need to go shopping, still dont. The isolation has been hardest on them, especially not seeing thier great grandkids, our grandkids. We could visit but that is dangerous, judging the mess in NY. And MI.

They thanked me the other day for my room. Before, it was something that I did and they tolerated for cash. The whole vib changed in April.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Some will carry on once things return to normal a few others will take this to heart and prep to one degree or another.

One woman at work blew a gasket Thursday when I pulled my mask down for a moment and she went off about being locked in her apartment for eight weeks, yadda, yadda, yadda. I think some of her frustration was born the day before when I mentioned "I sheltered in place the entire time, unless I wanted to go some where, but when I returned I continued to shelter in place." Judging from her eyes she wasn't smiling.

Because so many made it through this one relatively unscathed there may be some prepping, but the main shortage was paper products. So what did they learn?

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
\i
My condescending brother in law (100K a year, ect.) had a similar moment. Always giggled at my preps and lifestyle. He has called 3 times. Well, had his wife call 3 times. How to set up a chicken coop, how to plant beans, what's eating my garden, ect. It's hilarious how people dive into gardening with zero skill set and are shocked when they fail disastrously.
Same thing we try to tell people here. You can't just stick seeds in the ground and expect food to grow. It takes experience, soil building, and learning what works for your particular solution. Yet we still see post like "I bought a can of suriuval seeds, I'm going to grow all the food I need!".

·
Registered
34,374 Posts
\i

Same thing we try to tell people here. You can't just stick seeds in the ground and expect food to grow. It takes experience, soil building, and learning what works for your particular solution. Yet we still see post like "I bought a can of suriuval seeds, I'm going to grow all the food I need!".
Well.... Ya kinda can with raised beds!:D:;)

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
You still have to learn what varieties do best in your area. What diseases are in your area and which varieties are resistant to them. How to deal with insect pests, etc. Some years back, I moved. Only about 3 miles from my previous house. But gardening there was completely different. Instead of sandy loam, I had salty clay. The diseases and bugs were completely different. It took me a couple years to get it figured out. In the end, I was growing few of the same plants that I used to grow just 3 miles away. I basically had to start from scratch.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
And sometimes it just all falls apart.

Usually I’m fighting birds for my blueberries but a couple of years ago I redid my netting so last spring we had the right amount of rain, got the netting on early but instead of birds it was the Japanese beetles that wiped me out.

Now I’m putting out beetle traps to hopefully avoid a repeat of last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Nothing is going right in my garden this year. My Peas aren't even growing and those are usually the one thing I can count on. A bear broke in and ate my kiwi saplings.

I still don't count it as a prep. I could have a full years more stored food if I had just spent the money at the Mormon cannery instead of on the garden.

Its a hobby. One that I don't even like that much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You still have to have good soil for that. Unless you also stockpile a couple pallets of potting soil.

We're getting ready to move into a new place that doesn't have much in the way of topsoil. I'm already factoring in the time needed to get materials to make a compost (Leaves- in fall when people rake, kitchen and vegetable scraps- Need time to accumulate or take a few trips to the food pantry my wife volunteers at, wood chips for long-term soil building around trees and bushes - whenever we see tree trimmers in the neighborhood or one pickup load at a time), How long that will take, and how long to get soil worth growing stuff in. THEN I can really start planting stuff and have a good chance of it growing something. Oh, and I want perennials, so 1-2 yrs for the raspberries and 5-10 yrs for the fruit trees.

I suppose the books can tell you how many years ago you should have started or what just wiped out your entire garden.

YMMV
DK

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
You still have to have good soil for that. Unless you also stockpile a couple pallets of potting soil.

We're getting ready to move into a new place that doesn't have much in the way of topsoil. I'm already factoring in the time needed to get materials to make a compost (Leaves- in fall when people rake, kitchen and vegetable scraps- Need time to accumulate or take a few trips to the food pantry my wife volunteers at, wood chips for long-term soil building around trees and bushes - whenever we see tree trimmers in the neighborhood or one pickup load at a time), How long that will take, and how long to get soil worth growing stuff in. THEN I can really start planting stuff and have a good chance of it growing something. Oh, and I want perennials, so 1-2 yrs for the raspberries and 5-10 yrs for the fruit trees.

I suppose the books can tell you how many years ago you should have started or what just wiped out your entire garden.

YMMV
DK
When I lived out of town, I solved the compost problem easily. I saw lawn mowing services at other houses so I approached them and told them they could dump lawn clipping on my land. They were happy that they didn't have to haul it off. And once a year, the county would send trimmers along the dirt roads, pruning tree branches that threatened power lines. They had a chipper. I walked out and asked them what they did with the chips. They hauled it to a dump site where people can go pick up as much as they want. I told them they could dump on my land too and they were thrilled. It took them an hour or so to run a load into town and dump it.

By the end of the first year, I had a helluva compost pile going. And I didn't have to lift a finger to get any of it. I just had to mix it, turn it and water it occasionally.

If I felt like mucking stalls, I could get all the horse manure I could carry in the truck. And there was free steer manure for the hauling, but that contains a ton of weed seeds.

·
Registered
34,374 Posts
. And once a year, the county would send trimmers along the dirt roads, pruning tree branches that threatened power lines. They had a chipper. I walked out and asked them what they did with the chips. They hauled it to a dump site where people can go pick up as much as they want. I told them they could dump on my land too and they were thrilled. It took them an hour or so to run a load into town and dump it.

By the end of the first year, I had a helluva compost pile going. And I didn't have to lift a finger to get any of it. I just had to mix it, turn it and water it occasionally. .
Buddy of mine has that setup.

Free dump truck loads.... I hate him.

Y'all missed:

Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Well.... Ya kinda can with raised beds!
"Kinda"

My body couldn't handle a traditional garden, I can handle raised beds though.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Each town and city worldwide only has a few days' worth of food, medicine, fuel, etc. That makes industrial civilization vulnerable not only to pandemics but also to the effects of peak oil (which became more pronounced after 2005), ecological damage and global warming, financial crashes, and more.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts