Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I went to a local gun show and happened to find this Mosin Nagant M44. I have been looking to pick one up so I went ahead and got it. Cost me $100 bucks but in the current firearms market it didn't seem to bad a price and the nice thing was I paid for it and walked out with it, which was a pleasant surprise being that I’m located in California. Was very happy with the condition of a 64 year old gun, can't wait to take her out and shoot her. Does anyone have any pros or cons to removing the bayonet and or putting a muzzle brake on one of these...looks like I have a new project

·
Registered
647 Posts
This past weekend I went to a local gun show and happened to find this Mosin Nagant M44. I have been looking to pick one up so I went ahead and got it. Cost me $100 bucks but in the current firearms market it didn't seem to bad a price and the nice thing was I paid for it and walked out with it, which was a pleasant surprise being that I’m located in California. Was very happy with the condition of a 64 year old gun, can't wait to take her out and shoot her. Does anyone have any pros or cons to removing the bayonet and or putting a muzzle brake on one of these...looks like I have a new project

Does it have a bayonet lug? or did it come with only the cleaning rod. it almost looks like a model 91/59. {EDIT} Never mind I can see the bayonet now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It shoots the 7.62 x 54r and I picked it up at the show in Vallejo CA, I know your supposed to fire it with the bayonet fixed but wondering if there is anyway to adjust it for accuracy if the bayonet was removed?

·
watching for zombies
19 Posts
you can remove the bayonet without any affect to the accuracy or function...just remeber its not a "sniper" rifle...its a battle rifle...which means its a tank that will put up with almost anything...shoot her till she drops...i love mine...i put a scope on it and removed the bayonet...its great...got mine as a present...either way...its a nice weapon for the money...good job...enjoy...

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
M44 are a nice carbine.. Yours was made from the Izhevsk Factory. If you are looking for more info about the Guns Markings try the Web site..7.62x54r.net .. And if you are shooting Surplus ammo, be careful. Surplus ammo is corrosive. But don't let that scary you. Once you are done shooting for the day run 4 to 5 gun patches with Windex on them. This will brake down the corrosive salt in the primer.

Oh as for the bayonet it fires more accurately with it out. It has to do with the harmonics of the gun and metal.. If you would like one with out the bayonet look for an M38.

·
7.62x39
239 Posts
Word of warning when you are shooting it.
Tuck it in TIGHT against your shoulder and lean into it. It kicks pretty good if you are not prepared for it.
Also MAKE SURE you wear earplugs. It is easily one of the loudest guns I have shot.
Like others have said do not expect a tack driver, it is a battle rifle that is meant to hit a human sized figure out to 100+ yards.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
I would also like to know if a muzzle break would make any difference besides looks for this rifle. I have seen muzzle brakes for these at shows.

·
96 Posts
Nice rifle.

With the short barrel it makes one hell of a fireball if you shot it at night :thumb:

·
Registered
56 Posts
dont use any kind of muzzle break on those...soon as you shoot the muzzle break usually goes w/ the bullet...they are the tanks of the eastern bloc weaponry.....i love mine and still fire it every now and then....if i do my part i usually shoot a human sized figure to about 4-450 meters...but all in all its a good buy

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
Gun shows are great aren't they?
I took 300.00 and my Springfield/Savage 511 SxS 12 gauge to the show today in Charleston, WV.
I left the show with what I hoped to get. An SKS, a Marlin Model 60 and a long barrel .22 revolver.
No steal-deals but not bad. The 511 is a beautiful shotgun but not very practical, I just liked the big double. I got a Chinese SKS with synthetic stock and it is scoped, never tried a scope on one but it looks solid...we'll see. The Marlin 60 is one of the old Glenfields with the Sqwak and oak leaf carvings. Finally the 6.5" SA Heritage 22LR / 22WMR revolver. I've been wanting a .22 handgun for years.
All in all a great day.

It looks like prices are going up quickly. Except for Marlin model 60's :) but everything else seems to be climbing quickly.

·
ozarks hillbilly
749 Posts
great rifle, but head the warnings, that thing will kick like a mule!!!!!!! hold it as tight as you can against your shoulder for the first shot to know whats comeing and adjust for comfort from there. you got a good price and enjoy it.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Mosin Nagant M44 is an old weapon but here in Florida they go for 100 to 200 bucks. I have fired them on the range at 100 and 300 yards and they are very accurate. The ones I fired are owned by a professional gunsmith. Yes, they do kick like a mule if the butt is not welded to your shoulder.

·
Simple Man
428 Posts
I won an M44 a while back, its been sitting in the closet ever since. I got it out the other day a started to re-blue the barrel. I chopped the front of the stock down and now I'm in the process of sanding it to re-stain it. I am also going to take the barrel in to get it chopped to 16" and re-crowned. Ordered a new bolt handle and a scope mount for it as well. Should make a good little bush gun.

Hope you enjoy yours.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts