Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me apologize if this is in the wrong area of the forum (mods, feel free to move).

I have reviewed threads on this forum and done some research about the best guns in a survival situation. Keep in mind this is all speculation and preparedness. I am not advocating or suggesting that things will get bad, but I want to be prepared if they do.

No one knows what things will look like. Will there be UN troops patrolling our neighborhoods and going door to door to take our guns? Will these and other actions force us to retreat to our sanctuaries in the woods? Will people fight back?

Obviously its best to be prepared for all manner of situations. You need to be able to hunt for food, defend yourself, and possibly be in a position to stop a house to house round up by troops. I picture self-organized neighborhood militias protecting their homes or campsites from rioters, looters, or invading military style troops.

A 12gauge shotgun is a great short range defensive weapon, but maybe not the best for hunting small game or shooting from a distance where you aren't readily seen. Handguns work well for concealment and portability but lack the long range accuracy. I need a rifle to round out my strategy.

What would survivalists recommend for a hunting rifle that can also be used at mid to long range for defense of your home and neighborhood (or campsite) from aggressive, armed invaders? Obviously I want to shoot from the trees where I am relatively unseen. It needs to be accurate, easy to handle, and somewhat lightweight, while still retaining killing power. A rifle for this type of duty may not be ideal for another type (hunting rabbits or deer). However, I can only afford one rifle.

What would you choose?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My choice would be a Savage bolt gun in .243. Comes with the Accu-trigger and a basic scope. Great inexpensive shooter right out of the box. Choice of caliber is up to you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
First let me apologize if this is in the wrong area of the forum (mods, feel free to move).

I have reviewed threads on this forum and done some research about the best guns in a survival situation. Keep in mind this is all speculation and preparedness. I am not advocating or suggesting that things will get bad, but I want to be prepared if they do.

No one knows what things will look like. Will there be UN troops patrolling our neighborhoods and going door to door to take our guns? Will these and other actions force us to retreat to our sanctuaries in the woods? Will people fight back?

Obviously its best to be prepared for all manner of situations. You need to be able to hunt for food, defend yourself, and possibly be in a position to stop a house to house round up by troops. I picture self-organized neighborhood militias protecting their homes or campsites from rioters, looters, or invading military style troops.

A 12gauge shotgun is a great short range defensive weapon, but maybe not the best for hunting small game or shooting from a distance where you aren't readily seen. Handguns work well for concealment and portability but lack the long range accuracy. I need a rifle to round out my strategy.

What would survivalists recommend for a hunting rifle that can also be used at mid to long range for defense of your home and neighborhood (or campsite) from aggressive, armed invaders? Obviously I want to shoot from the trees where I am relatively unseen. It needs to be accurate, easy to handle, and somewhat lightweight, while still retaining killing power. A rifle for this type of duty may not be ideal for another type (hunting rabbits or deer). However, I can only afford one rifle.

What would you choose?
I dont think this is a militia forum, but sure defend yourself against looters etc, but dont point a gun at military or police what ever you do :cool:

If I was in the states id have a semi in 223, can carry a good amount of that stuff and I have used a .222 bolt action for hunting and it was enough for pigs and roos within 250 yards.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Survival Rifle

There are as many answers as there are rifles. Cartridge would be the first consideration. Something that is available as a cheap military round and could be found anywhere would leave the .223 7.62x39 and .308 as good choices.
The 7.62 and .308 would be better for hunting larger game as well as home defense. As far as rifles go most people want a semi-auto for home defense but a bolt action is going to be intrinsicly more accurate. In .308 you could go with an AR type rifle, for 7.62 maybe an SKS or AK, but accuracy is hit or miss in those, maybe 3m.o.a. average(some much better some worse). A good compromise between fast follow-up shots and good accuracy might be a lever action in .308. Much quicker than a bolt action and close to m.o.a. accuracy in a quality rifle.
I guess the reason we often have more than one gun is because each one excels in its own application, going with one gun for all things will involve compromise.
For my own purpose i went with the 7.62x39 option, an sks for defense, a ruger mini30,(not recommended, I LOVE Ruger but the mini30 is unreliable with surplus ammo and too inaccurate to hunt with using the good stuff, live and learn) and a CZ527 scoped bolt action for hunting. All of my firearms are chambered for one of four cartridge types. A self imposed limitation that precludes a better choice in hunting calibers.
Enjoy finding what works for your situation.:thumb:

BTW Jerry D's reply went up while I was writng mine, but i bet he was thinking what i was thinking, So either I'm not crazy or he and I both are.

·
2cd mouse gets the cheese
348 Posts
Henry

For years I have favored my 10/22 and I own many others including an AR-15, AK47, savage 308, and a couple of shotguns, one has three barrels .22, .243, 20ga. My most recent is a henry .22 mag lever and I have not been able to put down, it has dropped everything I pulled the trigger on. We won't get into what because some would cringe, bullets are light wieght and can carry 300 no problem. Solid points go straight through most skulls of most game, hollow point literaly explode caussing a horrific wound. It is most pouchers favorite! IMO:juggle:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Live Free, You have asked a question that is hard to answer without knowing some parameters. Do you want an expensive rifle, or something basic and dependable?? I am a "gun nut" and have a few of different types. My BO/home defense rifle is primarily my M1A. 20 rd mags with long range accuracy. 2ond choice is an old "M" style SKS (takes AK mags)- it takes 20/30 rd mags and is fairly accurate out to @ 300 yds(18" groups). A shotgun will hopefully always be available as they fill a tremendous gap between pistols and rifles. My slug barrel shoots like a rifle and is extremely accurate to well over 50 yds. Load it with 00 buckshot and it becomes a crowd pleaser. Some advocate cutting the barrel to increase the spread but that is illegal if cut under 18" (remember Randy Weaver's trouble started over this item). For person protection a 45 auto is hard to beat. I take a 357 revolver with me hunting/hiking loaded with hot heavy loads. Be it bear or two legged vermin I want it to stop if shot.
Hope I have not confused you. You can pick up a regular SKS for under #200 and ammo about 250-300 per thousand. IMO that is the cheapest best way to get started. I like my SKSs and would not hesitate to take one with me anywhere. wc

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

What would you choose?
A .22, .308 (or 30-06, 30-30), handgun and shotgun should cover all your basis.

But my recommendations would be a Lever action 30-30 or a remington Model 7. Both easy to use, accurate for the distances you mentioned, and great guns for woodswork with a scope or iron sights.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ammo

First let me answer your question before I critique it.

Get whatever you think you'll be able to find ammo for. If you can find a brick of .22 long rifles at Chinamart. Get a Ruger 10/22. If you have a source for some other type of ammunition, that should help you decide. Ammo is hard to get, and expensive.

That being said...

Decades ago, there were those of us who took up survivalism as a pastime and as a discipline. Those of us who described ourselves as survivalists were few and far between. Even in those days survivalism and fantasy had blurred borders.

Let's me now address an issue of survivalist fantasy as opposed to the discipline of survivalism.

You are asking about what gun we advise for when you might "possibly be in a position to stop a house to house round up by troops".

Let me repeat that, just for emphasis.
You're asking us what type of rifle we recommend for a situation where you might "Possibly Be In A Position To Stop A House To House Round Up by Troops" ?

You have got to be friggin' kidding me.

Go back and read your post over carefully sentence by sentence and consider what the average sensible person would think of your inquiry.

There is a forum for books, movies, etc on this website. There you might find something to feed your appetite for survival phantasy. That's where I go to feed my appetite for survival phantasy, I've even tried my hand at a little fantasy writing there.

When you have that out of your system and are ready to ask about the discipline required for responsible firearms ownership, there is a firearms forum on this site.

Wheel

·
American fearmaker
14,244 Posts
A scoped rifle that is semi-automatic in fire with a medium diameter bore would be good to consider. I think that something like an AK, M1A, 6.5 Grendel or AR-10 (T) would all do pretty well considering their various abilities. AK type rifles in 7.62 X 39 and a 6.5 Grendel give you about a 120+ grain bullet with which to work and they're very portable. The 6.5 Grendel also gives you a really good shooting distance too with a scoped rifle. The M1A and the AR-10(T) give you great accuracy and long distance shots but the ammo and magazines are a pain in the rear to hump any great distances. It can be done but it does get tiring. I used to hump an XM-21 rifle which is the military version of the M1A over in Viet Nam so I know about what I tell you. All 4 rifles would give you good punch or penetration. If I had to go with just one rifle... Hmmm. AK for reliability and portability. 6.5 Grendel for distance, great ergonomics and long range accuracy.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts

What would survivalists recommend for a hunting rifle that can also be used at mid to long range for defense of your home and neighborhood (or campsite) from aggressive, armed invaders? Obviously I want to shoot from the trees where I am relatively unseen. It needs to be accurate, easy tohandle, and somewhat lightweight, while still retaining killing power. A rifle for this type of duty may not be ideal for another type (hunting rabbits or deer). However, I can only afford one rifle.

What would you choose?
This Remington 700 SPS in 30-06
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS_Buckmasters.asp
Or this 700 XCR in .308
http://www.remington.com/products/f.../model_700/model_700_xcr_compact_tactical.asp

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The .44 Blackhawk Ruger. It has sufficient power and an easy round to find. I know my loyalty is usually with the .303 Lee Enfield, but finding ammo for the Enfield post-SHTF, would be a pain in the butt.

·
Today's Survival Show
348 Posts
Well, I won't critique your question but I will say that it's unlikely you will have to fight off invading troops. Possible? I guess so, but not likely.

My personal preference is a Marlin 1894 .357mag carbine. The reason is because it doesn't have a detachable magazine. To me, that's a good thing. No mags to lose, break or malfunction. It's got a tubular magazine attached to the rifle. With certain Buffalo Bore loads or heavy bullet .357 magnums the ballistics are pretty close to a .30-30. I can also shoot .38 special which is a plus in a survival situation because it's also a common handgun cartridge which will make ammo pretty easy to find.

The best thing is that it's very light and points very easily. In the half cock position, the hammer can be very quicly pulled back, just as quick as flicking off a safety. I can reload it on the run and top it off after a few shots very easily, therefore always keeping the tube magazine full.

The handiness of this rifle makes it very appealing. Something to consider. With a small amount of practice, you could learn to shoot it pretty fast too.

Bob
Today's Survival Show
www.todayssurvival.com

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well I don't mean to nitpick, but it's really not a great question. The question is fine, it's the "conditions" that push into fantasy land unnecessarily. You can only afford one gun. What, ever? You can only EVER afford one gun? How about ammo? How much ammo can you afford?

Here's the thing, dude, there's no perfect-for-all-occasions weapon, and you unnecessarily hamstring yourself by requiring all of your close/far/self-defense/hunting/home/woods/hidden/troops/criminals needs be met by one single weapon. Not trying to bring the beat-down or anything, but maybe try to get to know folks a little. There are gun forums of several stripes right here on this BB, yet Post Number One has to be in the Preparedness General Discussion and be about guns? It sends a message that, to me personally, is a little off-putting. Why not just post in one of several gun forums here, if you've been reading posts on this board?

Anyway, the kind of gun you describe would be covered by an AR-15 fairly well, BUT since you say you can only afford one gun, AR-15's are a good deal more expensive than some of your other options, so you'll have to get a cheap rifle. A price range for what you can afford (only once) would be helpful.

It sounds like price is your most important condition, regardless of all the other parameters you mention. In that circumstance, I'd suggest buying the least expensive gun you can find, they sell Mosin Nagant milsurp rifles all day long on the internet for a hundred bucks or less. If you can also afford ammo, they sell that too.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, sometimes it just kind of comes naturally, and as I said your post was off-putting to me, and maybe a little fishy.

If you want some real advice, I suggest posting on one of the gun pages here and think a little further ahead. Imagine a world...a world where someday you could save up enough money to perhaps purchase TWO guns, which would completely change the complexion of your options. I bet you could afford more than just one gun if you really squeezed your pennies. It's a pretty critical aspect of personal defense in a multiplicity of possible scenarios. I rank the right weapons AHEAD of food in an end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it survival-type situation, because you're always going to run out of food no matter how much you save.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Okay, a 30-30 would be a decent option too, but ammo isn't really cheap and it's a bear to reload in a life-or-death situation.

I have a 30-30 and a Yugo SKS, with a Mosin M44 on the way.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,962 Posts
Assuming that your come to your senses and do not intend to hold your ground against a real military unit (except the French, but then I did say a real military unit). I suggest that you first do some planning about where you would plan to live and how you would find food, water, etc. Only then can you make reasonable choices.

For instance, I intend to live on a small ranch in the Western Ozark Mtns. I own the land and while I do not live there full time I do live and work there 3-4 weeks per year. It is very remote with limited avenues of approach. Rarely can you see more than 200yds and 50-100 yds sight distance is common.

While I don't know what is coming I suspect that any engagement that occurs will happen at close range and without much warning. I will have to defend myself with what ever weapon I happen to have with me. I do not plan to have a large "Survival Group" to help, in fact I suspect that I will be alone and it would be all over in a few seconds.

My weapon will have to be short and light enough to be carried at all times, no matter what else I am carrying and what ever work I am doing. Sounds like a handgun, right. But I also will need to clobber the assailant quickly, since I am likely to be out numbered. Now it sounds like a medium cartridge battle rifle.

An Ar-15 would work except for the constant exposure to the environment (farming and ranching = dirt). For these conditions I suggest and choose between the Russian SKS, AK-47, and the Ruger Mini-30.

I found that I like the Ruger. While I have heard several folks reporting poor reliability and accuracy, I have shot about 800 rounds and the gun has cycled every thing I loaded with a pointed bullet. Even cycles the 20 & 30 rd magazines and accuracy is about 2-3 MOA. Go figure.

I keep telling my self that I should upgrade to a Garand or a M1A. I keep thinking about the extra weight and length. I might do it anyway. If I already lived in Free America I would have chosen the AK with a folding stock. Once I get retired and moved I think I will. Until then I will continue to soldier on with my choice.

Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I like the Martin 1894 .357 carbine for the reasons you stated. No magazine, quick, easy load. I also like the Browning BLR and the Remington 7. I'm not sure that a bolt action is better than the lever action or if it makes a real difference? Most of my hunting has been with a shotgun (deer, dove, duck, etc) so I don't have much rifle knowledge. I do like the M1A and AR-10 as well, but it looks like those are quite a bit more expensive than the other options.

I already have a good shotgun and a couple handguns. Like I said in the original post, I need a long range weapon (rifle) to round out my strategy. I don't think that unnecessarily places conditions on it. I am asking if you have the choice to purchase one rifle for defense and hunting, what would it be? I am looking to spend around $1,000 for the gun and another $500 for ammo.

As far as the comments about defense against an organized enemy, be it troops, raiders, or looters, I don't think its worth much to be prepared unless you are prepared for the worst case scenario. If it doesn't come to that, no harm. If it does, I sure don't want to be caught with my pants down. If you think something like that is a "phantasy", let me give you a quick history lesson. Try googling these phrases: "holocaust" and "gulag archipelago". When you're done with that, come back and I'll give you a few more.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,962 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I like the Martin 1894 .357 carbine for the reasons you stated. No magazine, quick, easy load. I also like the Browning BLR and the Remington 7. I'm not sure that a bolt action is better than the lever action or if it makes a real difference? Most of my hunting has been with a shotgun (deer, dove, duck, etc) so I don't have much rifle knowledge. I do like the M1A and AR-10 as well, but it looks like those are quite a bit more expensive than the other options.

As far as the comments about defense against an organized enemy, be it troops, raiders, or looters, I don't think its worth much to be prepared unless you are prepared for the worst case scenario. If it doesn't come to that, no harm. If it does, I sure don't want to be caught with my pants down. If you think something like that is a "phantasy", let me give you a quick history lesson. Try googling these phrases: "holocaust" and "gulag archipelago". When you're done with that, come back and I'll give you a few more.
You are absolutely right about the terror described in "Gulag Archepelago". Scary stuff. Try a read that book without weeping.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts