Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With any type of firearm in the house, gun safety is paramount. This matters during the regular course of daily activities, the stresses of SHTF events, or even during bug out survival circumstances. Plans have to be made in advance for considerations of keeping loaded guns in the house. Years ago, a good friend of[.....]

The post Guns Loaded in the House appeared first on AllOutdoor.com.

Read the full article here...

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,682 Posts
Guns are loaded. Until you check for yourself, it's loaded. Children are taught "It's not yours so keep your hands off it, and it's loaded so keep your hands off." Assuming a gun is unloaded is like seeing a parked car and assuming it's out of gas. Of course it's loaded, otherwise it's just an expensive club.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I keep all my guns in a safe. I keep a small safe under my bed, with a loaded glock in it. I could not put any one that comes in my home at risk. As a child I can not tell you how many times I was taken to see one of my friends father guns kept by his bed.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,682 Posts
My dad was a professional competition match rifle shooter and avid hunter. We had few handguns, but dozens of rifles and shotguns. He had a "gun room" in the basement. The door was kept locked, but we all knew where the key was. We all helped clean, reload, took part in all he did with those guns. Reloading was a family get-together bull**** time. We also knew that to misbehave in the smallest detail with those guns was a sure path to highly violent punishment! We never had an incident nor accident of any kind.

I was not as violently inclined to raising my children. NO bad behavior could induce me to break my child's ribs or knock out teeth like my father did. Still, my children needed to be taught the importance of behaving around firearms.

You know how trustable your child is. You know how earnestly you have taught them. If you have a little wild child that no amount of caution will teach them, then lock it up! I have a shotgun in a bracket behind the living room drapes, and one in a holder behind the bedroom lamp table. Once the kids were big enough, they were shown where it was. There was never once a problem. But my kids were taught to handle and respect firearms from a young age. No "forbidden fruit" to entice them.

·
Front Towards Enemy
507 Posts
Having a gun for an emergency, but having it unloaded...that to me seems as asinine as having a flashlight for a power outage, but keeping the batteries locked in a drawer on the other side of the house...or a cop gassing up his cruiser to go on a Code 3 call...

I have several firearms in my house that are kept mag-loaded, chamber clear with the safety on. I don't have babies running around the house, bear in mind, and if you do it's probably better NOT to have loaded guns laying around everywhere like me. My wife knows how to use them, but doesn't touch them, and my kid unloads, pressure checks and cleans them with me once a week.

Loaded guns in the house are perfectly safe unless you have small children, noobs, idiots, or a combination of the three staying there.

·
Registered
945 Posts
My bed sits on a 8 Ft. by 4 Ft. peace of plywood and attached to that plywood is my small gun safes. so if I roll off my bed it is right there. I have children, adults and pets in my home. As a child I can't tell you how many times I was taken in my friends prance bed room were we look at his dads gun. I have 3 large gun safes in my home and a small pistol safe under my bed. I have a carry permit and if i carry then when I get home my gun goes back in my safe.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
When the kids were little most guns were unloaded but my go to gun/guns were loaded in a safe place. The kids were taught how dangerous they were and how to handle them and they got to shoot about as much as they wanted from the time they were big enough to hold one. So as they got older more and more guns were always loaded.

An empty gun isn't worth much.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Proverbs 22:6English Standard Version (ESV)

6 Train up a child in the way he should go;
even when he is old he will not depart from it.

That even applies to firearms. I started the day they came home from the hospital. It amazes me how people are so paranoid. People that grew up with loaded firearms in THEIR rooms are so scared. Relax people. You're drinking the kool-aid.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Loaded

No kids in my home. At any one time there are 3 LOADED pistols and 1 shotun always within reach.
I know safety is at issue her but... If you want to own guns, you have a reason, and a purpose. Having an unloaded gun is like saying " FREEZE" to an armed intruder.
Please dont get me wrong I always yell FREEZE after a double tap.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,682 Posts
I told my kids if they or their friends wanted to see and handle a gun, let me know. I'd get out a couple and show them all about them. Take the sneak out of it. They were welcome to it... if I was there. Friends coming with us to shoot absolutely required parental permission. I never had a parent refuse, but we didn't ask any friends who had panicky parents.

If the kids friends said "Hey, lets see your parent's gun." My kid said "Sure, when they get home we'll ask em to get a couple out.

·
Paranoid Sociopath
304 Posts
My official answer to if I have guns in the house, is sir... I don't seem to recall, I'm empty headed and lose **** all the time

You guys shouldn't be drawing hand written maps, as to where someone can find your guns and use them on you or your family. Jusy sayin!

·
Living the dream:-)
1,620 Posts
No kids in the house. Everyone but my Gf mom has experience shooting and safety. Gf dad is former leo. Gf has a 22 pump in reach loaded. I have a shotgun hidden jic. A handgun and spare mag and flashlight in arms reach. And her sister and bf have 2 loaded handguns and a shotgun loaded. All long guns are unloaded. 95% of the time someone is home we all work different shifts. Holidays if we leave most all handguns go or are locked. My buddy (bol) keeps a 357 in his tool box in the garage loaded. Glock 26 in kitchen or edc. REM 870 loaded in bedroom. 10/22 and AR locked in safe. Bug out buddy carries daily a Beretta or s&w shield and leaves on bed side. Shotgun loaded in bedroom. 10/22 locked and AR is getting built right now. Unloaded gun is a waste.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.