Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the gun show this weekend, as mentioned in another thread. I like going to those.

Beauty supply stores, thrift shops, gun shows and hardware stores are typically my favorite 'haunts'.

"Why yes, I'm an odd woman. Thanx for noticing!" :)

The army medical supply concessionaire was not at this show; I was disappointed. I wanted to acquire more sutures, some retractors, scalpel blades, dressings, etc.

I was going to acquire an M-4 carbine at the show, but these were WAAAAY too expensive for my budget. I wanted to have a semi-auto military style weapon in my arsenal, so I kept looking.

I saw a Mini-30 which that I liked, but I wanted the Mini-14. I could not locate a Mini-14 at the show, so I continued looking.

I typically dress in figure flattering casual clothes and low-cut tops [I am proud of what I have been blessed with and feminine wiles and appearance often get a girl some pretty good deals] and it is funny to observe the looks of guys when I am handling weapons.

It's funny and perhaps some can relate to this, how that my demeanor changes when I am handling a weapon. It is completely involuntary, but when I am handling a gun, I become very serious-minded [beyond the norm] and I feel a certain...'ferocity' while doing so.

This might have to do with my military background, but I think that it also has to do with personality and life experience.

It seems that these guys do not observe women handling guns with that kind of intensity, seriousness and familiarity and it is amusing to behold the looks which that I receive.

I noted that the AKs and the various clones of the same were priced considerably below that of the ARs, so I 'target locked' on these weapons.

Now THESE could be accommodated by my budget. :)

I wanted a Romanian unit, as I have heard good things about these, but I could not locate one. I did not much like the weight of most of the AKs which that I handled, but kinda figured that this was an inevitability, for this type of weapon. I was not enamored of the length of most of these AKs.

After all, I was looking for a carbine.

I did not like either the length nor the magazine configuration of the SKS; I wanted a gun which would accommodate detachable magazines [I do not think that the Mini-14 accommodates detachable magazines, but I do believe that these can be modified to accommodate them. I am not sure.].

They had a WASR, but I do not know really anything about them and this was a major purchase.

Then I noticed the Saiga carbine and found myself drawn towards it. I fell in love with the modern poly stock on it and this gun IS a carbine.

YES!!! :D:

I picked up the weapon and hefted it, slowly and carefully examining it. The gun is a little heavy for me [Amazon girl or not, I'm getting old, friends], but the length is perfect! :)

I was 'falling in love' [laughing]! :)

The way that it works with me, is that when I I am searching for something and I find the right one, I will 'lock onto it', it will 'stick in the mind' and I will find myself being increasingly drawn towards it. When I am convinced in my mind that I have found the right thing, I will spontaneously smile and laugh with delight and this find was no exception.

It was funny how that I found it easier to read the cyrillic lettering which was stamped on the receiver than the english lettering.

I held the weapon up for the dealer to see and silently pointed to it, indicating that I wanted to purchase it.

I was thrilled!! :D:

It's the little things in life, you know? :)

I noted that the gun show is easily the best source for acquiring ammunition, with Walmart being the secondary. I obviously acquired a quantity of 7.62x39 ammunition, but plan to acquire more, when the show comes to town again.

I was not certain what type of ammunition to acquire, as I am not going to use this weapon for normal home defense [I prefer to use my .357 magnum]. The dealer had FMJ, hollow point and soft point ammunition.

I did not want the hollow point ammunition and was divided between the FMJ and JSP ammunition. Ultimately, I opted for the JSP ammunition.

I needed an inexpensive stock for my 870, as well. A standard wood unit would suffice. I scanned through the vendor's tables and found some OEM units for various shotguns. I picked one up, recognizing the construction of the unit, held it up for the dealer to see and asked,

"Remington 870?"

Surprise came across his face and he responded,

"How did you know that?"

I just smiled [laughing inside] and told him that I wanted it.

I had a good time at the show and it proved to be a MUCH needed diversion for a very troubled mind, of late. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
mini 14 takes detachable mags. your saiga can be made to accept ak mags by buying a bullet guide and installing it and taking a file and opening up the magwell.go to saiga12.com plenty of good info there.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I was at the gun show this weekend, as mentioned in another thread. I like going to those.

Beauty supply stores, thrift shops, gun shows and hardware stores are typically my favorite 'haunts'.

I noted that the gun show is easily the best source for acquiring ammunition, with Walmart being the secondary. I obviously acquired a quantity of 7.62x39 ammunition, but plan to acquire more, when the show comes to town again.

I was not certain what type of ammunition to acquire, as I am not going to use this weapon for normal home defense [I prefer to use my .357 magnum]. The dealer had FMJ, hollow point and soft point ammunition.

I did not want the hollow point ammunition and was divided between the FMJ and JSP ammunition. Ultimately, I opted for the JSP ammunition.

I needed an inexpensive stock for my 870, as well. A standard wood unit would suffice. I scanned through the vendor's tables and found some OEM units for various shotguns. I picked one up, recognizing the construction of the unit, held it up for the dealer to see and asked,

"Remington 870?"

"How did you know that?"

I had a good time at the show and it proved to be a MUCH needed diversion for a very troubled mind, of late. :)
I had a blast shooting my BushMaster AR15 16M4 Patrol Model this past weekend. It didn't kick at all. When I was trying out the rifle, the salesman said I was GI Jane. LOL

I still need to read the book that came with the rifle since my husband is nagging me. He'll probably make me clean my own gun next. If that happens, I'm thinking that he may have to take turns cooking, cleaning the house, and wash the clothes. :)

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
great story, Falcon. You sure have a way with words- as well as feminine wiles. Is that Saiga in 5.56 or 7.62? I have the 5.56 verson with a 16 inch barrel. I can answer any questions you might have.

Fellas, as much as ladies tend to be condecended to concerning weapons, admit it- you love women that love weapons.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Check out ammoman.com for 7.62x39. I just got 1000 rounds for $199 delivered. I like the Wolf Military Classic HP. It feeds fine in both my Saigas. I have heard/read that it's terminal ballistics are the best of the 7.62x39 HP.

I also have 350 rounds of the SP for hunting.

I would recommend converting (not full auto) and you will have a full blown AK.

·
Editor, Ready Magazine
587 Posts
I had a blast shooting my BushMaster AR15 16M4 Patrol Model this past weekend. It didn't kick at all. When I was trying out the rifle, the salesman said I was GI Jane. LOL

I still need to read the book that came with the rifle since my husband is nagging me. He'll probably make me clean my own gun next. If that happens, I'm thinking that he may have to take turns cooking, cleaning the house, and wash the clothes. :)
Not doing that already?

·
shokr20
17 Posts
It looks like you've widen your frontiers. Remember to point shot that carbine. Your arms will fatigue so point shooting with the stock just under your arm will do several things:shorten the overall length of the weapon, greater swing distance, greater recoil control, shorter mag reload. this is called "turret shooting" for an advanced CQB. It is used for both rifle, pistol, sharp weapon contact skill. After shooting on and off at the range or where you shot will develope muscle memory. Turret Combat Tac ot TCT is used for both open and closed eye reaction control. Where you shoot my not like this style of aiming, so use your own good sense. more to come....dotdotdot

The army medical supply concessionaire was not at this show; I was disappointed. I wanted to acquire more sutures, some retractors, scalpel blades, dressings, etc.

I was going to acquire an M-4 carbine at the show, but these were WAAAAY too expensive for my budget. I wanted to have a semi-auto military style weapon in my arsenal, so I kept looking.

I saw a Mini-30 which that I liked, but I wanted the Mini-14. I could not locate a Mini-14 at the show, so I continued looking.

I typically dress in figure flattering casual clothes and low-cut tops [I am proud of what I have been blessed with and feminine wiles and appearance often get a girl some pretty good deals] and it is funny to observe the looks of guys when I am handling weapons.

It's funny and perhaps some can relate to this, how that my demeanor changes when I am handling a weapon. It is completely involuntary, but when I am handling a gun, I become very serious-minded [beyond the norm] and I feel a certain...'ferocity' while doing so.

This might have to do with my military background, but I think that it also has to do with personality and life experience.

It seems that these guys do not observe women handling guns with that kind of intensity, seriousness and familiarity and it is amusing to behold the looks which that I receive.

I noted that the AKs and the various clones of the same were priced considerably below that of the ARs, so I 'target locked' on these weapons.

Now THESE could be accommodated by my budget. :)

I wanted a Romanian unit, as I have heard good things about these, but I could not locate one. I did not much like the weight of most of the AKs which that I handled, but kinda figured that this was an inevitability, for this type of weapon. I was not enamored of the length of most of these AKs.

After all, I was looking for a carbine.

I did not like either the length nor the magazine configuration of the SKS; I wanted a gun which would accommodate detachable magazines [I do not think that the Mini-14 accommodates detachable magazines, but I do believe that these can be modified to accommodate them. I am not sure.].

They had a WASR, but I do not know really anything about them and this was a major purchase.

Then I noticed the Saiga carbine and found myself drawn towards it. I fell in love with the modern poly stock on it and this gun IS a carbine.

YES!!! :D:

I picked up the weapon and hefted it, slowly and carefully examining it. The gun is a little heavy for me [Amazon girl or not, I'm getting old, friends], but the length is perfect! :)

I was 'falling in love' [laughing]! :)

The way that it works with me, is that when I I am searching for something and I find the right one, I will 'lock onto it', it will 'stick in the mind' and I will find myself being increasingly drawn towards it. When I am convinced in my mind that I have found the right thing, I will spontaneously smile and laugh with delight and this find was no exception.

It was funny how that I found it easier to read the cyrillic lettering which was stamped on the receiver than the english lettering.

I held the weapon up for the dealer to see and silently pointed to it, indicating that I wanted to purchase it.

I was thrilled!! :D:

It's the little things in life, you know? :)

"Remington 870?"

"How did you know that?"

·
shokr20
17 Posts
Right on Brotha !!!!

great story, Falcon. You sure have a way with words- as well as feminine wiles. Is that Saiga in 5.56 or 7.62? I have the 5.56 verson with a 16 inch barrel. I can answer any questions you might have.

Fellas, as much as ladies tend to be condecended to concerning weapons, admit it- you love women that love weapons.

·
shokr20
17 Posts
Have your hubby buy spare parts....spring kits, extended bolt release for smaller fingers are out there. Check with your armorer at your gunstore. Have your hubby time you for swapping out your firing pin for the spare in your pistol grip. Fill every hole with parts and duct tape them closed or over. Duct tape 3 sections of barrel rods to your handgaurd and upper receiver. After awhile you'll forget its there except when you need to bang out a stuck round and especially in the dark. there's more, but thats my 2 cents. i've found the perfect rifle for gals that must sling one 12 hr/day is a ruger mini14 in bullpup chassis. Over 2 lbs is shifted to the rear and arm strength goes up 100%. Of course have your M4 for range practice.....dotdotdot make sure you read that little book

·
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon
341 Posts

There is NOTHING that I find sexier than an ARMED WOMAN.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
maybe one that brings her own grain grenades...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.