Survivalist Forum banner

Is a gun or a bunker better?

• Is a gun best?

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • Is a bunker best?

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • Are both very good to own or even work to acquire?

Votes: 146 72.3%
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread will hopefully discuss guns and bunkers and which is better to own, a bunker or guns or both? I have heard that If someone owns their own bunker - deep secure shelter, they won't need any guns. Which I don't agree with. The humorous movie "Blast from the Past" is proof of a family in a deep underground shelter and had no guns. I don't think it was really a bunker since it did not have any way to look or shoot out. But it was well hidden and undiscovered for 35 years, in the Hollyweird movie anyway.

I have hesitated to post this thread since there has been so awful much in the news, especially the latest news with the "survivalist" in a "bunker" which maybe he was but he did ask to be taken out, since he killed an innocent bus driver and kidnapped a small child!

So maybe I or others should never mention bunkers and such ever again? Most people probably should not. But I have nothing to hide and am simply posting this thread in hopes of showing that we do not have to be so very fearful and be afraid to even discuss all kinds of guns and even bunkers!

Others can disagree and please post your criticisms and reasons Why you dislike bunkers ( even this thread ) and some other things that survivalists and the military have used for many years.

One other similar topic we could discuss is what kind of a gun would be best to use in a bunker, safe room or even in your house or apt.??

I also would like anyone to identify this gun which is the main gun used in the following bunker shooting video >

My bunker is mainly for secure storage and a good tornado / storm shelter but the following video shows what could happen If raiders were to attack ! This video was also made just for fun last August 2012 but also to show the bunker in action >

Trailer - Plz watch this first!

Raiders of the Mountain Hold and the bunker in action! >

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This post will hopefully explain what is shown in the bunker shooting video. Some people might only have dial up, like I have had most of my internet life but they likely can view pics. They are just snapshots from the vid so won't be high quality. Wish the video could have been high definition even in full screen but take it for what it is worth >

This pic shows the beginning of the driveway into Mike's Gulch and shows some grouse walking along the road. They seem tame but really are wild birds >

This pic shows me hitting WR on the back to wake him up while he is supposed to be watching the road. >

Watch Ryder whom I will refer to as WR watching the road near the bunker. I like the small screen showing the bike rider >

One of several places to shoot out from and near the bunker. This is just right outside the front door which I later quickly entered after running out of ammo in that gun >

Using the periscope to look out the main porthole out of the bunker which looks down on the private dirt road, before I put my head there to look and shoot out >

Looking out of the main porthole out of the bunker >

Ammo cans which may or may not be full of all kinds of ammo. Some do only have papers in them. Plus an army backpack etc. >

3 of the guns used in this video. ID them if you wish >

WR shooting out of the bunker. This pic is when he shoots himself - the guy trying to blow up the bunker. Took lots of time to create this video which I take little credit in making it. I just furnished most of the props, land, bunker etc. am in a few scenes. >

The explosion outside the bunker after the guy tried to blow it up. This explosion was made from quite a few firecrackers bunched together. Wyoming does sell many kinds of firecrackers unlike most states including Colorado. >

The top of the periscope after it was put up out of the bunker to look out >

Right after the periscope was shot up. I purposefully did not make the periscope too well, just with clear tape holding it together. But it did work with the two mirrors. And those plants are Not marijuana, just stinging nettles which are good to have by the back trap door >

Me looking at the shot up periscope. I did wear a green metal helmet but someday will paint it Olive drab - I only had that green paint last summer. And notice the concrete wall which is the only concrete wall in the bunker, most of it is made of logs >

Me shooting out of the bunker out of the main porthole and notice the inset pic of the outside >

MM Mike shooting wearing the red ear muff hearing protection. Needed it shooting in that enclosed area, although I always wear hearing protection in noisy areas >

This is a pic of one of the attackers although it is actually me wearing the black helmet with a molotov cocktail about ready to hit the front steel door. I was Not going to risk burning down this bunker which took me 10 summers to build. I wet down the area and had 10 gallons of water on hand. Not too easy handling that fiery bottle but no danger. The things I do for the internet >

The fiery explosion when the fiery cocktail hit the black front steel door. And it might seem like the end but just wanted an exciting ending. The fire and explosion did no damage except a little burned paint. >

And as I have said I had little to do with creating this video. I did not make up the story, the scenes, plot or the way it ended etc. But I do like it overall and really I have no criticisms of this video.

IF any out there must criticize this bunker shooting video please say why you don't like it. And what could be done to make it better. Thanks.

My bunker ( which I suppose I should just call an underground cabin ) is mainly for secure storage and a good storm shelter but the following video shows what could happen If raiders were to attack ! This video was also made just for fun but also to show the bunker in action. This is the 8 minute long version which tells more of this fictional story >

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
No worries Mike.

The video is in HD (up to 720 format), but as default it's in a lower resolution. You have to change it manually and it will go HD. Maybe I'll add an annotation to let people know this on the video itself.

I have had some concern from folk about the use of the supposed 'molotov' cocktail in the video. This is classified as a 'destructive device' by the ATF.

HOWEVER, to all Federal ATF types and others reading this and other threads the 'bottle pyrotechnic' was NOT an actual molotov cocktail. The pyrotechnic we used lacked the 'third ingredient' which would of made it one.

It was hard work making the video, no doubt about it. Had to wait for the lighting to be right, some dangerous action scenes, worth it in the end.

I've had mostly positive feedback, wish we had more people for the video but too many and it would of been risky, especially with the increased number of live rounds and firearms etc.

Maybe in the future I'll make another one, but more of an exploratory, adventure instead... :)

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Very Bad ass! I especially love the Iron kill vent. I think a fun vacation would be driving to your bunker and helping you keep building and expanding.

Also, don't worry about Federal Agents reading Survivalist boards. When you have a President like Obama who is going to make the Feds start rounding up ar15s, I'm sure they have all but given up hope on making these lands a better place.

And with all of the 2nd Amendment advocates up in arms, the last thing they will do is strike a match.

If you were a fed would you mess with an obvious gun owner? I wouldn't. I'd lay low, hunt for child molester, and Non American born terrorists (who aren't in political office).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe on can't be prepared enough. I had a concrete septic tank cast for me. It was the largest they had, 1500 gallons, and was 6 ft high inside, 10 ft long inside, and 5 ft wide inside. It has a 30" sq opening on one end with a rebar ladder welded in place, and the other end has a 2" pvc coupler in the lid. It has four inch walls and top, rebar enforced. It's buried 12 ft deep, which means four ft of dirt over it. The Pvc piece is for ventilation. I have storage shelves with freeze dried food in it as well as other food stuffs. This bunker cost me about $2200 including a backhoe to dig the hole, and cover it up when I was ready. I love this thing, and plan on a second one for myself and protection equipment. They will have a large shed over them with a hidden trapdoor for entry to the basements. My plan is not especially for defence, but to not be seen.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very Bad ass! I especially love the Iron kill vent. I think a fun vacation would be driving to your bunker and helping you keep building and expanding.

Also, don't worry about Federal Agents reading Survivalist boards. When you have a President like Obama who is going to make the Feds start rounding up ar15s, I'm sure they have all but given up hope on making these lands a better place.

And with all of the 2nd Amendment advocates up in arms, the last thing they will do is strike a match.

If you were a fed would you mess with an obvious gun owner? I wouldn't. I'd lay low, hunt for child molester, and Non American born terrorists (who aren't in political office).
I don't know anyone, who is sane anyway, who would mess with a gun owner, especially a gun owner with a bunker. Of course a criminal who kills someone and kidnaps a child as the latest guy did in Alabama deserves to be taken out and even have his bunker destroyed. Not sure if his was a true bunker. I would have to see pics of that. If anyone has pics of that guys bunker in Alabama they would be interesting to see.

I think a true bunker has portholes to look and even shoot out of if necessary. There are what is called storage bunkers which don't have anyway to look out and also fallout / bomb / storm shelters which are also not very defendable since you cannot look or shoot out.

And Crutch, I was wondering what you meant by the Iron kill vent and quickly thought you must mean what I usually call the main porthole that I can look and shoot out of.
I was "lucky" to find that porthole = vent but I was probably lucky to find many of the things I used to create the bunker / underground cabin. Such as the 2 steel doors, steel beams, rebar, strong window which I can cover with wood, hardened concrete bags etc. The porthole = vent was a 5 foot iron sewer pipe I obtained for free from an old factory that was being demolished. It was rusty but I cleaned it and covered it with 2 coats of hammered black rust proof paint.

And I would be glad to have you help me on my BOL / remote mtn retreat Crutch. I would be glad to have most people help me. If they can make it up there and willing to drive so far and be able to camp somewhat primitively, they likely would be ok or even good to help me. I would guarantee everyone would see things that are unique and likely not able to experience anything exactly like what is near and on my mtn place / retreat.

Anyone can email or message me and ask if they can come up. No one should just come up and surprise me. I would hate to shoot anyone, especially if they were not raiders...

And I will eventually answer everyone who posts. I do plan to answer the other guys who have posted. But as you can see I tend to go on too much. Maybe once a day I will post until I have answered everyone.

I would think that this would be an interesting thread and video for a forum called the Survivalistboards? Hope many more will respond and even ask me Anything.

Especially I hope many more will answer the question in the title of this thread: Which is best - guns or bunkers? or are both equally important?
But most surely don't think bunkers are too important since I would bet very very few have one. Or even some kind of storm shelter!?

·
Deal Finder
241 Posts
They don't care about those types of people. They would rather go after obvious gun owners. Child molesters and foreign terrorists are just fine.

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
Mike if a bunker, storm shelter is found the first thought of any would be attacker is supplies. You have them or else you would not need the bunker. And no matter how well built that bunker it can be taken over if there is no actual defences in place.
If you have a bunker you must be able to defend. Otherwise your just stocking for someone else.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cannot image owning a bunker without guns.

I have wanted some sort of storm/bomb shelter my entire life and am just waiting to amass the money to build my dream one.
I will go back and respond to possibly all of the posts eventually. I am only on the net a very limited time now since I don't have internet at home, mainly I use the library.

And I also cannot imagine owning a bunker without guns, possibly some other kind of weapon also but guns seem best. Not better than a bunker since a bunker is a good secure storage area, storm / fallout / bomb etc. shelter and likely would outlast any gun. Much more one can do with a bunker / underground shelter than just with a gun, which is simply another good tool. I have used my 4 chainsaws much more than I use any gun. Although I am Not putting down guns.

And a storm / bomb shelter likely would not have any way to look or shoot out of and so it would not be a true bunker. I also must add that a bunker / storm shelter does Not have to cost too much, since I first made mine for around $100 which mainly covered the cost of nails, spikes, varnish and plastic sheeting / tarps. After spending 10 plus summers creating my bunker it ended up costing around $2,000 - mainly for 250 plus eighty pound bags of concrete. I likely will add and even expand the bunker someday, since I can dig much further into the mountainside.

Here is the Everything about Bunkers thread which has Many pics, vids and links that show cheap to very expensive fancy bunkers and even a couple root cellars. > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=107463

I also must add this from a guy who did not want to post in this thread but just messaged me >
"The bunker wins out hands down as it will provide shelter(shelter, water, fire and food = life) cover, concealment etc, it is a fortress, shelter, refuge, a place to sleep and rest at night and a gun by itself is not the answer for everything. I would take the bunker and a bow or cross bow over just a gun. I am one who think you need both!"

·
Be Prepared
1,087 Posts
I would be careful calling your storm shelter a bunker. If local law enforcement got wind of it one of them might want to ensure their promotion by raiding your location.

Seems mainstream thought is that anyone who tries to protect themselves like that is doing something wrong and illegal or is unabomber type, so the liberal press would praise the police for doing a good job if they raided your location.

Could be wrong but.... be careful.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
Thanks for the interesting post Mike! Hopefully you didn't have to carry all those bags of concrete very far. It looks like you have plenty of firewood laying around your place.

Where we live we use verbal camoflage and call our bunkers gold mines. Sometimes we even get a bit of gold out of them.

Red

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I would be careful calling your storm shelter a bunker. If local law enforcement got wind of it one of them might want to ensure their promotion by raiding your location.

Seems mainstream thought is that anyone who tries to protect themselves like that is doing something wrong and illegal or is unabomber type, so the liberal press would praise the police for doing a good job if they raided your location.

Could be wrong but.... be careful.
I think it depends on the rest of your demeanor. Quite a lot of people are openly building bunkers and disaster shelters. There's at least one popular TV show that highlights these folks.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts