Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Be Prepared
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have some finances available, but have nothing to start with, which do you buy first? This is for discussion purposes only...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Guns and ammo, without a doubt.

In survival, shelter comes before food, right? Shelter protects you from the environment. Your environment could be hostile and violent. So the gun and ammo is a sort of shelter and, therefore, a higher priority. You could also hunt with this gun and ammo, helping to ensure a constant supply of food and or storage. A bow might be a better option for hunting though considering your "ammo" (arrows) can be used multiple times and don't need reoading. Now I'm rambling.

·
Renegade Vegan
175 Posts
Seeing as this is the urban survival forum, I'll take the opposite end and say food storage. Not much hunting in the city anyway and the chances of economic challenges, unemployment, natural disaster or short term food shortages are much greater than the possibility that you'll suddenly have to start picking off your neighbors with the 30.06.

Just in general though, some of us lean more toward "preps" and some more toward straight up survival. Since nobody can predict the future with 100% accuracy, it's really a personal decision what you think is likely to happen for you, your city, your country etc. and make preparations accordingly.:thumb:

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Good point, uban... food tops ammo but water tops food. I am in a suburb and keep two 55 gallon drums of drinking water on hand. Why? I went through three hurricanes in three weeks and a total of 10 days without power. With gas I could cook, had plenty of food, and the pool would fill the toilets and be a bathtub even when green. But, drinking water.... that was THE critical element missing. I made drinking water out of the green pool but life would have been a whole lot easier if I had 110 gallons of drinking (cooking) water on hand.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
With a limited budget you fit the profile of most of the people here. It is a balancing act trying to keep things going. It is also the thing that drives many people out of trying. Look at buying enough food for the first 72 hours. That is not much. Move on next to 2 weeks worth. and then 2 or 3 months. As far a gun goes look at a 22Long Rifle round gun. 22 calibers can be shorts, long rifle or 22LR or even 22magnum. Stick with 22LR. Get one for around a hundred to $200. Ammo you want to build up to at least 1000 rounds. At first buy a 100 round container or 22LR hollow point ammo. I just bought a little plastic box of WInchester Super X 22LR Hollow POints for $6.50. DOn't break your bank whatever you do. Stick with the site and ask questions. Look for friends here who will help you. These are really good folks. Kev is the backbone of this thing. Welcome again.

·
Nerd
157 Posts
Food, without a doubt, for me. You gotta figure on what the most likely catastrophes are... natural disasters or a depression or even a war on our soil... most of those wouldn't devolve far enough to the point of defending your land against your neighbors, however, it would be real easy to go hungry or thirsty in those times. I mean, I have many guns, and I'd recommend getting at least a cheap .22 or a Mosin Nagant for $60 (I LOVE mine), but If I had my last say $300, I'd spend it on some sacks of beans or barrels of water before an AK or something

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am speaking with experience in the post Katrina atmosphere. When pretty much any SHTF scenario FIRST comes around it seems people don't band together and help each other. They freak the F out and start grabbing whatever they can from whomever they can take it and only later on, when they realize it's not the end of the world, do they start helping each other.

When I was there, it WAS your neighbor you had to worry about...AND the "authorities" trying to disarm everyone. Everyone was out for themselves and if I didn't stand up to a few different folks, I would have been standing there naked after they were through with me. They would have taken everything, including any food I had saved up. It truly was the wild, wild west. But, that's just my experience and it may never be like that again. I hope it wont because I was scared as hell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know exactly how ya feel ,I started off with just rice beans and water found a good cheap marlin 22lr and slowly started building from there it can be a pain but if ya stay after it will def pay off ya just gotta look at it as an investment that over time grows.I know it will be hard now but rice and beans are cheap so is 22lr ammo thats were I would start:thumb:

·
Registered
356 Posts
A little at a time is the way to go on a budget. The 3 B's as they say. Beans bullets and bullion. Get a little of each on each payday and even though it's baby steps you will be far ahead of the herd of sheeple in no time at all. For example, one box 9mm let's say $10. $20 worth of stow-away food and a silver eagle and we're looking at maybe $50 altogether. Just a little more assurance you're a$$ is covered when SHTF. Got a little more dough to put in the war chest this time around? Get a 10th ounce gold kruegerrand instead of the silver ounce. Hope this helps.

·
Renegade Vegan
175 Posts
I am speaking with experience in the post Katrina atmosphere. When pretty much any SHTF scenario FIRST comes around it seems people don't band together and help each other. They freak the F out and start grabbing whatever they can from whomever they can take it and only later on, when they realize it's not the end of the world, do they start helping each other.

When I was there, it WAS your neighbor you had to worry about...AND the "authorities" trying to disarm everyone. Everyone was out for themselves and if I didn't stand up to a few different folks, I would have been standing there naked after they were through with me. They would have taken everything, including any food I had saved up. It truly was the wild, wild west. But, that's just my experience and it may never be like that again. I hope it wont because I was scared as hell.
I hear ya, a gun isn't too far down my list. Remembering Katrina and the Los Angeles riots this formerly unarmed house is getting a gun this week. But, it has come after we've gotten our basic water and food supplies sorted.

It's really too bad what happened in New Orleans. I have lived through hurricanes and ice storms in Virginia. I've seen every road for 40 miles in every direction completely covered in fallen trees in both the ice and hurricane situations. I have lived without power for 10 days in the dead of winter and for two weeks in the heat of summer. I have been without a water supply.

The one thing I never saw was anyone fighting or looting. Quite the opposite, people of every description were out in pick-up trucks with chainsaws clearing the roads, not waiting around for Fema or anyone else to save them. Volunteer firefighters were getting water out to people. Local governments were delivering water and emergency food. There are definitely different ways to go about things and what happened in New Orleans wasn't it.

Did you hear about the hippies converging on Waveland Mississippi? Waveland was basically washed away by a 30 foot storm surge. FEMA took almost 30 days to get to them! This is a long vid, but a very fine example of what should happen in an emergency.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
fire is still the most likely emergency. are you ready to run out the door in 90 seconds?

me, I started with the 72 hour kit (go bag) but I am still working on parts of it. next I plan on 7 days food, water, and heat

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's an awesome video!

I think we should fire all of FEMA and put these guys in charge !!!

They have so little resources and they're all happy and helping each other and getting along just fine. I NEVER saw this kind of cooperation, except by individuals and families. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade!

They did mention that people from Louisianna had been coming in and stealing from them. I guess it's just a different culture there that Louisianna or coastal Texas.

·
Be Prepared
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard Katrina was an urban war zone for a few days and was a contributing factor as to why FEMA took so long... The media downplayed that fact.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i would do a little of both 1st get a gun (pistol)and about 500 rounds then get about 6 months worth of food. then get a shotgun for home def/ hunting with about 200-500 rounds then about 1 years worth of food.

bottom line with a gun you CAN take what you have to have. if you got food without a gun they CAN take what you have :thumb:

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
i would do a little of both 1st get a gun (pistol)and about 500 rounds then get about 6 months worth of food. then get a shotgun for home def/ hunting with about 200-500 rounds then about 1 years worth of food.

bottom line with a gun you CAN take what you have to have. if you got food with not gun they CAN take what you have :thumb:
Beat me to it.

+1 to this advice.

A gun can protect what you have and, though it sounds bad, take what others have.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Is this what this site is coming to? Get a gun so you can take what others have? Im totally PRO gun to protect what is yours, but to tell someone to get a gun so you can take what others have is so sad. You sound like "them" when you say things like that. This is a survival site, I would advise to prep, so you dont have to take anything from anyone. It should come down to a barder system when it gets bad. If someone comes to my house with a shotgun to "take what they want," they have came to the wrong house, and I just got a new shotgun. So dont take this bad advice... Go to Chinamart and get a ruger 10/22, and a brick of ammo. Then go to costco and get 50lbs or rice/beans. Slowly get your preps up, hit garage sales for camping gear(stoves, sleeping bags, etc).... Start slow, save your money from going out to eat, and shop wisely now. Then you wont have to "take" and possibly get killed for a bowl of soup.

Beat me to it.

+1 to this advice.

A gun can protect what you have and, though it sounds bad, take what others have.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
food and water frist then guns.. have min 6 days that shouldnt cost alot then add a gun you cant eat a gun if you hungry depends on were you live me i have food guns camping gear water tools vechials gas all store in big to small quanitys me i dont think i will need a gun were i live yes some people freak out and panic and some dont depends on were you live and know your neighbors actually say hi to them once in a while because they might watch your back as you watch theres

also take into fact a gun might not stop someone but might detor them from attacking you but standing out side armed to the teeth doesnt make sence works to a certian degree but really i would basicly go on normal fire up the genrator to heat in the winter other then that dont really need power got a bbq and a short walk to the woods for wood

·
Registered
56 Posts
food and water frist then guns.. have min 6 days that shouldnt cost alot then add a gun you cant eat a gun if you hungry depends on were you live me i have food guns camping gear water tools vechials gas all store in big to small quanitys me i dont think i will need a gun were i live yes some people freak out and panic and some dont depends on were you live and know your neighbors actually say hi to them once in a while because they might watch your back as you watch theres

also take into fact a gun might not stop someone but might detor them from attacking you but standing out side armed to the teeth doesnt make sence works to a certian degree but really i would basicly go on normal fire up the genrator to heat in the winter other then that dont really need power got a bbq and a short walk to the woods for wood
Come on man, stop making your kid type your posts. Put a little effort into it. You have 2 periods for both paragraphs and they're in the wrong place and right beside each other. Jeeez, I feel like I'm in the company of a hyper active four year old. I'm kidding... but seriously.

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
Is this what this site is coming to? Get a gun so you can take what others have? Im totally PRO gun to protect what is yours, but to tell someone to get a gun so you can take what others have is so sad. You sound like "them" when you say things like that. This is a survival site, I would advise to prep, so you dont have to take anything from anyone. It should come down to a barder system when it gets bad. If someone comes to my house with a shotgun to "take what they want," they have came to the wrong house, and I just got a new shotgun. So dont take this bad advice... Go to Chinamart and get a ruger 10/22, and a brick of ammo. Then go to costco and get 50lbs or rice/beans. Slowly get your preps up, hit garage sales for camping gear(stoves, sleeping bags, etc).... Start slow, save your money from going out to eat, and shop wisely now. Then you wont have to "take" and possibly get killed for a bowl of soup.
If it comes between my family starving or rich dude with a can of beans?

I've seen first hand kids so weak they couldnt lift their spoon to their mouth. You think I'd have a problem with robbing Mr Chinamart to stop that from happening to my kid? You speak of morals now but when its your 5 y/o dieing of malnutrition your morals will take a day off. I hope this never happens, but you know damn good and well, you would not let your child die while you watch someone else get full.

Do I advocate jacking your neighbor? Nope, but I'd have no problem jacking Mr multi-billion dollar corporate America chinamart or Mr I've raised gas prices 300% and recorded a record profit year while you lost your job cause you cant afford gas money.

There is no high ground in the crapper, only floaters and sinkers.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts